What U.S. policy/law are you most proud of?

and this is why freedom of speech is so great, because we live in a country that allows us to express our beliefs that our free speech is being taken away! Sub would now be sitting in a jail for the next 20 years if he was in China for what he expressed, well unless they let him out early to make ipods.

and this is why freedom of speech is so great, because we live in a country that allows us to express our beliefs that our free speech is being taken away! Sub would now be sitting in a jail for the next 20 years if he was in China for what he expressed, well unless they let him out early to make ipods.

Geat... we have more free speech than China.

Yeah for us!

Yeah for us!

We have more free speech than anyone..

Yeah for us!

True. Other than perhaps Sealand. (I can't back that up. I just like Sealand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Sealand)

Yeah for us!

True. Other than perhaps Sealand. (I can't back that up. I just like Sealand. http://en.wikipedia....lity_of_Sealand)

SEALAND?!?!? What the.... My first thought was some place involving Kevin Costner and people with gills. Cool, I learned something new today. :)

Yeah for us!

What do you base that opinion on?

Press doesn't exist anymore (really it's pretty much all just TMZ like crap) and absolutely anything you say on here is monitored.

Anything you post over the internet that isn't encrypted is monitored. Anything you email that isn't encrypted is monitored, anything that hits yahoo, gmail, etc is monitored when transmitted or is fair game for the government to retrieve after you leave it in the account for six months (that's right anything on your gmail/yahoo/etc... left for 6 months is confiscated(legally) and monitored by the government.) Everything you post to facebook is monitored, every picture you upload is scanned with facial recognition software, etc...

So beyond face to face what exactly is free speech anymore? What you say here sure isn't protected. Even if you think it is by sheer obscurity, it's not, since every plain text message sent over the internet is captured.

What do you base that opinion on?

Take a look at the laws (libel, slander, political speech) of our peer countries like the UK, Canada, France, etc.

One way to look at free speech is freedom of the press.

http://www.worldaudit.org/press.htm

No. It's not "one way to look at free speech." It's arguably one aspect of free speech but to impute press onto the rest of the First Amendment is misleading at best.

No. It's not "one way to look at free speech." It's arguably one aspect of free speech but to impute press onto the rest of the First Amendment is misleading at best.

OK... an "aspect" isn't a way to look at free speech.

If we pass SOPA, how will that effact your opinion of our free speech?

OK... an "aspect" isn't a way to look at free speech.

If we pass SOPA, how will that effact your opinion of our free speech?

it's effact (i know) probably will be less (at least at first) then the sedition acts we've had passed during wars, to be frank.

However now that speech is global, I've moved my website domain hosting off US soil. congrats other countries with more rights then the US and US corporations that support censorship. I'll send even more dollars overseas.

I was thinking about this on the drive in this morning. For me it's our protection of freedom of speech. I think the U.S. does more to protect the free flow of ideas (good, bad, offensive, bland, etc.) than any other country on earth.

I think that is a wonderful thing.

Thoughts?

I find this to be less and less true the older I get. Especially if you are talking about religion. There are so many people who instead of debating religion if they feel it is wrong just want to silence it. Why are so many people afraid of religion in the govt.? Why do they fear something so simple as the ten commandments? How does that indoctrinate anyone? If I have a stone tablet of a chinese menu from a restaurant does that mean that Chinese food is now the national food? I truly believe that religious freedom is being trampled by the govt. :dunno