NU DL vs. SC DL

Let's not kid ourselves here, Cameron Meredith became a fan favorite exclusively because of his mustache. I'm not too worried about our inside guys, but hopefully McMullen can step in right away and give us a much needed boost at defensive end. I agree with you about the secondary. I think the addition by subtraction will be obvious. Kind of like when Fisher and Compton went down last year and it turned out we had a stud LB on the roster. Sure he didn't know the defense as well, but he was more of a difference maker. Something the defense needs in a bad way losing David and Dennard.

I initially liked him because he showed a lot of promise early on. But I think he was better 2 years ago than he is now. He's so damn slow now.

I agree. I have been saying this all year. He has put on too much weight... He is pretty good at stuffing off tackle runs, but he hasn't shown the speed to contain very well... He either needs to beef up and play a small DT or drop about 25 lbs..

Ankrah should come on strong as a junior next year... Chase Rome got better this year and should mature into a player... But in comparison to the SC D-line, we don't have their "look".

I really think Ankrah could be special if they actually took the chain off him. Let him speed rush for crying out loud. I am so sick of seeing our DL go in and just run into the OL and try to read and play two gap. I would rather see the other team break off a few longer runs at times as long as we can get pressure on the QB.

The thing I see as the biggest problem is we play the 2 gap system ALL THE TIME!! Are you kidding me! The other team will notice this. It needs to be mixed up. Play more 2 gap on run downs and frickin unleash the dogs on passing downs and hell, mix it up once in awhile!!

You, sir, hit the nail on the head. I disagree very much with Bo's philosophy of playing contain vs. mobile QBs. I'd rather we shed blocks, layed hits on the QB, and gave up a big play every once in a while rather than any time that the opposing QB pleases.

Let's not kid ourselves here, Cameron Meredith became a fan favorite exclusively because of his mustache. I'm not too worried about our inside guys, but hopefully McMullen can step in right away and give us a much needed boost at defensive end. I agree with you about the secondary. I think the addition by subtraction will be obvious. Kind of like when Fisher and Compton went down last year and it turned out we had a stud LB on the roster. Sure he didn't know the defense as well, but he was more of a difference maker. Something the defense needs in a bad way losing David and Dennard.

I initially liked him because he showed a lot of promise early on. But I think he was better 2 years ago than he is now. He's so damn slow now.

I agree. I have been saying this all year. He has put on too much weight... He is pretty good at stuffing off tackle runs, but he hasn't shown the speed to contain very well... He either needs to beef up and play a small DT or drop about 25 lbs..

Ankrah should come on strong as a junior next year... Chase Rome got better this year and should mature into a player... But in comparison to the SC D-line, we don't have their "look".

I really think Ankrah could be special if they actually took the chain off him. Let him speed rush for crying out loud. I am so sick of seeing our DL go in and just run into the OL and try to read and play two gap. I would rather see the other team break off a few longer runs at times as long as we can get pressure on the QB.

The thing I see as the biggest problem is we play the 2 gap system ALL THE TIME!! Are you kidding me! The other team will notice this. It needs to be mixed up. Play more 2 gap on run downs and frickin unleash the dogs on passing downs and hell, mix it up once in awhile!!

Especially when we are playing running QB's ...it sems we want to bull rush and clog the middle. works sometimes, not all

OP, that's basically the d-line's job in this scheme, 2 gap it and gobble up olineman so that guys like david and compton and even safeties from time to time to "knife" through and make tackles. We ran the same scheme in high school out of a 4-4 and each of our 4 linebackers had more tackles than the entire d-line combined. We were last in t.o.l.'s but 1st in total defense and scoring defense in our district. It's just Bo's philosophy. It worked great last year and the year before because 1 we had Suh that did more than gobble up blocks, he was able to disrupt and penetrate WHILE gobbling up two blockers and last year we had the solid secondary to back em up. As the years come and go, experienced and talented groups come and go and sometimes you just dont have the personell with the proper experience or talent to execute the kind of scheme you wanna use, but does that mean Bo should completely abandon his philosophy and do something totally different that definitlely does not fit our system. It'd be like switchin to a west coast offense cuz Taylor's not a strong enough runner.

you have to adjust to your players....

Agree with the scheme and your post accountability, but also with what melscott said. There has to be some flexibility in your scheme to adjust or overcome your weaknesses. Also, this scheme and the way we use it against anything close to a mobile QB does not seem to work. And when it comes to a passing down (like 3rd and 20) our players look clueless as to how to rush the QB that we have to blitz. And our blitzes just haven't worked this year as we get no pressure on the QB. Then you have a 25 yard completion and you're still on the field cause 6-7 guys couldn't get any pressure and our DB's just aren't good enough to all have man coverage.

OP, that's basically the d-line's job in this scheme, 2 gap it and gobble up olineman so that guys like david and compton and even safeties from time to time to "knife" through and make tackles. We ran the same scheme in high school out of a 4-4 and each of our 4 linebackers had more tackles than the entire d-line combined. We were last in t.o.l.'s but 1st in total defense and scoring defense in our district. It's just Bo's philosophy. It worked great last year and the year before because 1 we had Suh that did more than gobble up blocks, he was able to disrupt and penetrate WHILE gobbling up two blockers and last year we had the solid secondary to back em up. As the years come and go, experienced and talented groups come and go and sometimes you just dont have the personell with the proper experience or talent to execute the kind of scheme you wanna use, but does that mean Bo should completely abandon his philosophy and do something totally different that definitlely does not fit our system. It'd be like switchin to a west coast offense cuz Taylor's not a strong enough runner.

I understand our two gap assignment ...however once 4 or 5 seconds have ticked off and our DL are still locked onto the opponents OL there is a problem...sadly I am not exaggerating. Blocks need to be shed for the two gap to work...neither gap can be handled if you don't win at the point of attack, and we are so slow at DE that the contanment on the edge is never held. Also in Pelini's scheme with 7 guys often in coverage there are no LB's to knife in, they are out of position at the second level covering, and mobile QB's and opposing coaches scheme to exploit this against us...... :( We just do not have the athletes on the DL to run this type of scheme against a mobile QB, if we depend on just our front four to contain the QB, they better be guys who can run and change direction fairly well right now our DE are not that type of athlete.

Bo was 0-4 this year against mobile QB's and will continue to look foolish defending it like he has. The two gap scheme works great when you have Suh, or a healthy Crick, Barry Turner, Pierre Allen, etc...not with the talent in 2011. None of our current DE are up to the standards needed, this has to be fixed by recruiting or by slimming down our current DE and changing the scheme.

I won't disagree with most sentiments about our D-line. We definitely need to improve our athleticsm next year and into the future. But if you guys think Nebraska lost to the Capitol One Bowl because of "our inferior d-line," you're blind or don't understand the game.

You're right, however if we had their DL and they had ours we win IMO. Just my .02.