Callahan's a LOSER

Our guys didn't finish routes, weren't holding blocks and were making HORRIBLE reads on defense... you can only blame coaching for so long...you gotta look at the effort these men are giving...the interception for a touchdown, the overthrown pass were both Swifts fault for not finishing a dog gone route...but he got player of the game for the passes he finished.

The coaches have to find a way to motivate the players. I haven't seen a whole lot of fire these last few weeks. This is especially evident in the way they start out. It is also the coaches responsibility to fix these problems in practice, not wait for the game. They have had 3 months of practice to fix the errors. I also see very little dicipline in the team. Dicipline is a direct relation to the coaching staff.

Hey Former, you stated they had talent to win 10 games IN A OPTION OFFESENSE, not in a WCO! It takes time bro; and if you don't like it they are needing a new Ohio booster I hear Frankie is still running the opition to the short side of the field on audibles!

:yeah:dumdum:woo:lol::clap

Whats the difference which offense they use, the option won many, many games at NU and other schools. The WCO is now a stellar 10-9. You do the math.

BTW, I have never suggested bringing FS back, good luck to him :thumbs I just want a GREAT coach. NU doesnt have that now.

Can everyone PLEASE tell themselves this repeatedly:

OPTION FOOTBALL IS OVER!!!!

The speed of the game has increased dramatically. Every defensive position is bigger, stronger, and faster than ever! Tell me a team besides the military schools that run power option consistently.

Are you telling me the speed of the game has changed that much in just over 3 years??? :wtf I remember the "option" offense working pretty well in 2001 at NU :wacko: People were saying the EXACT same thing about TO in the 80's/early 90's and look what happened.

Was there even any semblance of parity in the 60's, 70's, 80's and of course the wonder years 90's. I don't think so. Now the ISU's, MU's, etc. are starting to catch up and run with the big dogs. Only time will tell of NU rises out of the pack to lead as before.

Funny you should mention that. In the 80's, we saw teams that were not traditional powers, such as Miami, Colorado, and FSU become outstanding programs. In the 90's, teams like KSt, Northwestern, GA Tech, Washington, heck even Mizzou had rebuilt into decent programs, if even for just a few years at a time.

Can everyone PLEASE tell themselves this repeatedly:

OPTION FOOTBALL IS OVER!!!!

The speed of the game has increased dramatically. Every defensive position is bigger, stronger, and faster than ever! Tell me a team besides the military schools that run power option consistently. So yeah, let's bring back Frank and see what he can do. Continue to recruit on a mediocre basis and watch the team continue on its downward spiral. It was all over after Tom's last class was done in '01, that's pretty clear to me. And if anyone really follows the recruiting the Huskers have been doing lately, and if they're smart, they would sit back and be patient with the process. WE WILL BE BACK!!

:dis I don't think so. During the OU game, the interview with Osborne and Switzer, Switzer said something I agreed with very much. He said no one thinks the option works anymore but the real problem is there are no disciples of it. Switzer even said that Callahan could use Osbornes playbook,which was true. It's not hard to go out and hang fifty points on a team if you have the right personnel. Don't say a good one-dimensional team can't beat a good multi-dimensional team. I don't even have to remind anyone of the 1995 Fiesta Bowl. If Frank Solich had recruited the right guys, we would still be running the option. Truth is it's hard to run any offense when you have bad talent.

FACT: Talent was down we BC came in

Not NC caliber talent, but the same talent that won 10 games the year before he got here???

FACT: Many new players and old players playing together for the first year

Same as any team, any year.

FACT: Key Injuries

Yawn. 2 starters injured. Any team could make this argument.

FACT: Definate improvement fundamentally over BC's first year (thus far)

Hmmm, the offense is worse, and the D is not much better.

The only area with marked improvement is the special teams, but they were the worst in the nation last year.

Could Osborne, the great chess player of a coach that he was, take this team (with its current players) and win 9, 10, or 11?

With this schedule, easily. NU would likely be 8-0 right now with TO and McBride, with their only loss to CU or UT in the Championship game.

I remember when so many said Osborne couldn't win the big one, hell, it took him 20 years; and he didn't have limited by scholarships.

Bunk. TO won 9, 10, 11 games per year. He never "led" NU to a 5-6 season.

Did Callahan get his many college positions and pro positions because he is terrible?

FACT: billy c has coached on a bunch of mediocre teams, that have had mixed success and failure, nothing outstanding. He rides the coattails of taking another mans team to the SB, yet he destroyed the team the next year. His record as a head coach after that season is 14-21 :wtf . The rest of his staff has similar "successes" on their resumes.

This program is not getting better with them here.

Not NC caliber talent, but the same talent that won 10 games the year before he got here???

Yup, the same team that beat 7 of 10 teams that never made a bowl game that year. Keep pointing back to that remarkable 2003 season.

Same as any team, any year.
Yawn. 2 starters injured. Any team could make this argument.

Yup, you are correct. The main reason why Tennessee is 3-4 this season. The same reason Oklahoma is 5-3 and started out 3-3. The same reason Michigan was also 3-3 and is now 6-3. But hey, let's not give NU any excuses because they are simply NU and are expected to win regardless of who you have on the team, be it freshman, inexperinced players or missing key players.

Oh by the way, Stewart Bradley, Steve Octavien, Matt Herian, Andy Christiansen, Murtha were all starters before they went down with injuries. That's 5 guys not 2 that could have made an impact.

With this schedule, easily. NU would likely be 8-0 right now with TO and McBride, with their only loss to CU or UT in the Championship game.

Objection your honor. The witness is specualting <_<

If Callahan was playing against a Kansas St team that did not start showing improvements untill 1998 or a Oklahoma team that flat out sucked in the 90's or a Colorado team that was good every once in a while, then yeah, 8-0 would not be out of the question. Any fan would have loved to see how TO and McBride would have faired against the OU defense the last 5 years or against Tech's high passing offense the last 5 years. Some people i tell ya..they still think the teams TO use to go against are the same caliber talent that NU is going up against in the Big12

Bunk. TO won 9, 10, 11 games per year. He never "led" NU to a 5-6 season.

See answer above

FACT:  billy c has coached on a bunch of mediocre teams, that have had mixed success and failure, nothing outstanding

The defense rests your honor.

The question is, how long will it take NU administration to figure that fact out?  This year?  Next year?  07?  08?

How many more "moral victories" do we have to endure?   How many more excuses about "inferior talent" will we have to hear?  How many times will we hear "we are making progress" when we are not?  

The fact is, probably our best winning effort this year was on the road against Baylor.  Yes, Baylor.  We won 4 out of our first 5 games, but they were all at home, and all "patsy" games except Tech, which we lost.  

It takes a man to stand up and say "I made a mistake".  Is Pederson man enough to stand up and say "I made a mistake?"   Is his ego too big?  

I cannot believe that Nebraska football has slumped to this level.  The score Saturday could have been MUCH worse.  And frankly, we could have EASILY been beaten by either Wake Forest or Pitt - two of the worst teams in 1A.

Wake up people - we have a lot more losses ahead of us before the W's start coming again.  And only Pederson can answer when the tide will turn.   It won't until Callahan's gone that's for sure.  The guy can't coach.  Nuff said.

How many more excuses about "inferior talent" will we have to hear?  How many times will we hear "we are making progress" when we are not?  

Untill the talent is actually rebuilt, i don't have a problem with hearing it. The talent on this team sucks at this point or is inexperinced. Some positions more then others. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. You have guys on the offensive line who shouldn't be starters, but b/c of depth, there's not much you can do. You have a RB converted to DB. You have 2 first year starters on defense in the backfield. You have young pups like Marlon and Cody Glen trying to gain yards behind a poor offensive line. How is any of this coaching related and not player related?

Are we making progress with the talent we have? Yes. Is Callahan saying we are, even though we might not look like it. Hell yeah. What do you expect him to do? POINT out guys and say "this guy sucks, this guy shouldn't be playing, this guy wouldn't make a high school roster?" Maybe he should just come out and say "the old staff recruited like crap and they made my life misreable". You actually think a coach is going to just come out nad say stuff like that? get real man.

I cannot believe that Nebraska football has slumped to this level.

You can drive to Athens, Ohio and thank frank Solich for the slump. If need be, i can get you his telephone number at the Ohio Athletic dept.

Wake up people - we have a lot more losses ahead of us before the W's start coming again

So we will get W's, it's just a matter of you not having patience is basically what this whole bitching about.

Former I would think even you would be able to get the concept! The Option is a run based off. the players recruited for The option, are diff. then they players needed to run the wco. Like for instance wide recievers that catch the ball instead of just block. Or a passing quaterback not a running back that sometimes throwss, hell even a line that is now asked to pass block instead of run block. Instead of looking at all the negatives looks at some positives get out of the apartment and away from the computer and just be glad you are not Aggie! GBR

Former I would think even you would be able to get the concept! The Option is a run based off. the players recruited for The option, are diff. then they players needed to run the wco. Like for instance wide recievers that catch the ball instead of just block. Or a passing quaterback not a running back that sometimes throwss, hell even a line that is now asked to pass block instead of run block.

Problem is, these WRs and QBs were recruited for this offense. And if you dont have the personnel to run it now, then call plays that your personnel CAN run effectively. Dont try to run the WCO with option style players, that is all on the coaches. :dumdum

Instead of looking at all the negatives looks at some positives  get out of the apartment and away from the computer and just be glad you are not Aggie!  GBR

Thats part of my problem, I was out chasing ditch chickens all day yesterday, and it jacked me up :blink:

lol We recruited a JC quaterback so we could break in beck but he doesn't have time since th OL is a patchwork oline! Also we only got 2 wide recievers from the 5 we recruited one is a truue freshman that got hurt, so that line in your argument doesn't work. If taylor had a good line that gave him time to survey the field then it would be diff. but ohh well GBR

Former I would think even you would be able to get the concept!  The Option is a run based off. the players recruited for The option, are diff. then they players needed to run the wco.  Like for instance wide recievers that catch the ball instead of just block.  Or a passing quaterback not a running back that sometimes throwss, hell even a line that is now asked to pass block instead of run block.

Problem is, these WRs and QBs were recruited for this offense. And if you dont have the personnel to run it now, then call plays that your personnel CAN run effectively. Dont try to run the WCO with option style players, that is all on the coaches. :dumdum

Instead of looking at all the negatives looks at some positives  get out of the apartment and away from the computer and just be glad you are not Aggie!  GBR

Thats part of my problem, I was out chasing ditch chickens all day yesterday, and it jacked me up :blink:

Dont try to run the WCO with option style players, that is all on the coaches.

Makes perfect sense. Run a rundown version of the option offense since the kids are better suited for it then trying to get them to run the offense we are trying to install. :dumdum

Why don't we just say screw recruiting all together and recruit half option players, half west coast players untill we get a full team of WCO players who are ready to run the WCO. In the meantime, lets just run option plays. <_<

Some of your comments don't even make sense sometimes FF. Why in the hell would Callahan want to do that? The message is clear. Either you try to make plays you are given, or you sit your ass on the bench if you are not suited for this offense, plain and simple.

If Callahan dumbs himself to incorporate more of the option, i will personally stop watching Nebraska football. The option is dead, plain and simple and these option players are hanging by a thread before they are brushed off to other schools like David Horne, Andy Birkle, etc

Oh by the way, Stewart Bradley, Steve Octavien, Matt Herian, Andy Christiansen, Murtha were all starters before they went down with injuries. That's 5 guys not 2 that could have made an impact.

I guess I missed Christiansen, my bad. I was never aware that Murtha was scheduled as a starter, thats news to me, Im not so sure about that. <_< As great of a player as Herian is, the staff and their offense turned a guy who used to average something like 23 yards a catch (first 2 years) into a guy that averaged 12.8 a catch last year, pretty common for a TE. Octavian and Ruud were 1 and 1A, battling for the position. Bradley has only been gone for what 3 games. Have injuries hurt, yes, but the team should be able to overcome this.

Some people i tell ya..they still think the teams TO use to go against are the same caliber talent that NU is going up against in the Big12

I agree, the teams TO played were much, much better than anything on this years schedule. :thumbs Tech is a decent team, but there are no top 10 teams on this years schedule. CU may end up in the top 25, but this is the weakest NU schedule I have ever watched at NU.

If Callahan was playing against a Kansas St team that did not start showing improvements untill 1998 or a Oklahoma team that flat out sucked in the 90's or a Colorado team that was good every once in a while, then yeah, 8-0 would not be out of the question. Any fan would have loved to see how TO and McBride would have faired against the OU defense the last 5 years or against Tech's high passing offense the last 5 years.

KSt was pretty good in 94 (top 25), top 10 in 95, top 25 in 96 and 97. CU ended up like # 3 or 4 in 94, was top 10 in 95, and was consistenly a good team until Neuheisel (sp?) was there. KU was a top 10 team in 95. Mizzou was pretty decent in 97, along w/ aTm.

This OU D is good not great but their O is terrible, and Tech is a paper tiger. Nice team, nothing great, got whipped by the only good team they played.

Makes perfect sense. Run a rundown version of the option offense since the kids are better suited for it then trying to get them to run the offense we are trying to install. :dumdum

Yes it does make sense, obviously you dont understand. Im not saying run option, just call some plays that use the strenghts of your players. Anybody that knows anything about football would do it. Any DECENT coach would do it.

Why don't we just say screw recruiting all together and recruit half option players, half west coast players untill we get a full team of WCO players who are ready to run the WCO. In the meantime, lets just run option plays. <_<

Who said anything about option. Just call some plays that your team can run efficiently. :wacko:

Some of your comments don't even make sense sometimes FF. Why in the hell would Callahan want to do that?

Oh, gee, I dunno, maybe to WIN FREAKING GAMES :blink: Does that make sense to YOU :dumdum

The message is clear.

Yes it is. "Im running my offense come hell or highwater, screw everything else." This is all about billy c being billy c, not wanting to adjust or admit that HIS precious system wont work. That would be admitting failure, and he wont do that.

If Callahan dumbs himself to incorporate more of the option, i will personally stop watching Nebraska football.

The words of a TRUE fan :thumbs

:sarcasm

The option is dead, plain and simple

Really, worked pretty good in 01, and won hundred of games prior to that. It would now, if any coaches still ran it.

I'm not as abrasive as former, but I agree with what he said in his last post. That was pretty silly saying the option is dead, Nameless. It still works when it's tried. But that's not the point. I think the problem that Former, myself, and many others have with this staff is they are stubborn. Former is right when he said these coaches should have phased things in instead of dropping it like a ton of bricks. No one's disputing that they didn't have the personnel to run their system last year, but they decided to anyway. They could have won more games, had they been more flexible, but they don't care.

A great example of good coaching was in the State I currently live. Urban Meyer ran different versions of his offense at BG, Utah, and Florida. He plays to his strengths and always has success by doing that. Not as much this year, but he still wins as much as can be expected. He's not making Chris Leak do exactly what Alex Smith did for him last year because he knows it's not possible. He's playing more to Leak's strengths.

Really, worked pretty good in 01, and won hundred of games prior to that. It would now, if any coaches still ran it.

Yeah? To bad its 2005 not 2001 or 1997 or 1971 for that matter, so your argument doesn't hold any weight. If that's the case, then Bob Stoops should have changed his offense this year to better fit his inexperienced players rather then running complex plays for an experienced team like OU's 2001-2004 teams, but he DIDN'T. You go with what you have done in the past and pray to god the players pick it up. The same could be said for Texas Tech who is starting a guy for the first time this year. Should Leach change his offense around just because the Hodges has never played in it as a starter? The longer you are in a system, the better you pick it up. The more you change it around, the more the players get confussed. Players in the huddle would end up scratching their heads saying "wait.. what play is that, and from what formation? what is my duty? do i run here? block there? tackle here?"

The coaches are trying to keep consistancy, not complicate it even more. But then again, you know all the answers right Former? I mean god forbid when TO and Bury Switzer go on the air and clearly STATE that the option is a offense that is outdated and wouldn't work in college football anymore on a consistant basis, then their statements hold less weight then yours when you haven't even coached a football games in your life and they have, right?

Who said anything about option. Just call some plays that your team can run efficiently

What plays would that be since you are not talking about the option? Passing plays? We are already doing that and the receivers sometimes catch balls and sometimes drop them more then catching them? Running plays? We already tried that and our ofensive line is not blocking for our RB's, and the fact we are getting behind by 21 points changes the whole equasition. So please enlighten me, what plays is callahan suppose to be calling that he hasn't called that plays into the strengths of your team and for them to run it efficiently?

Yes it is. "Im running my offense come hell or highwater, screw everything else." This is all about billy c being billy c, not wanting to adjust or admit that HIS precious system wont work. That would be admitting failure, and he wont do that

His system won't work? You mean the same one that USC is running and Notre Dame is running with the proper personal? Surely you can't be referring to those 2 offenses who are identical to what Callahan is trying to run. I guess USC being back to back national champs and on the verge of a third is a failure. Maybe Notre Dame fans should be enlightened to know that Weiss's offense isn't going anywhere now that Ty got all the talent for Weiss.

Utah Husker, 4 of Florida's 5 wins are over Wyoming, LA Tech, a 3-4 Tennessee team (which Spurrier beat with his below average South Carolina team) and Kentucky. They played Georgia on a neutral field and if it was at Georgia, they would have lost it. Leak lost both games on the road against ranked teams (Alabama, LSU). I still don't buy Florida's success this season because they haven't proven anything. Meyers will have Florida at 8-3 (remaining wins over Vandy and South Carolina-maybe- and a loss to Florida St) this season after playing a schedule that is similiar to Nebraska's but already having come into Gainsville with a team that ran a spread offense under Zook.