Evidence Based Medicine

and again...this is why something as important as our health/lives should not be "for profit". Deciding what you should do w/ your health shouldn't be like deciding on what car to buy. Last thing we need is a Dr acting like a salesman paid on commision on matters like this. Pushing something that isn't needed or upselling just to get more money in his pocket. Patients shouldn't be seen as profit centers IMO.

and again...this is why something as important as our health/lives should not be "for profit". Deciding what you should do w/ your health shouldn't be like deciding on what car to buy. Last thing we need is a Dr acting like a salesman paid on commision on matters like this. Pushing something that isn't needed or upselling just to get more money in his pocket. Patients shouldn't be seen as profit centers IMO.

Sure. Except some doctors are greedy inefficient bastards who prey off of their patients. Like the one who kept me waiting in the waiting room for 90 minutes past my 9:00am appointment time for my daughter's school mandated physical so she could take a P.E. class. The doctor spent 5 minutes with her, checked her heart rate, looked in her mouth and ears, and had the nurse weight her and measure her height. Bill to me paid out of pocket: $240. Lost work time for which I did not get paid: nearly 1/2 day. I agree that doctors and hospitals should make a profit--but a fair profit. Not highway robbery. The system is so f'd up something has to be done.

About time we make the surgeon general sit down with some legislators, negotiate reasonable prices for every procedure (Other countries do it, isn't as difficult as it seems), and create some gigantic penalties if any healthcare facility overcharges beyond those prices. One in about 14 billion small steps that are available to be taken to right the healthcare ship and get back on the right track.