The "Motivate NebraskaDrumline for boot camp" thread

The single best piece of advice I can give you is – don't ever doubt that you can do this. It's going to be tough, but that's the point. If it wasn't tough it wouldn't be worth it. You'll likely never do anything in your life more meaningful than becoming a U.S. Marine.

So when it gets difficult, remember two things: 1) thousands of people less smart than you, less motivated than you and less worthy than you have already made it through Marine boot camp. You can too. 2) Nothing they say or do to you at boot camp is personal. They're tearing you down to build you up. Learn when they tear you down. Don't take it to heart, don't take it personally, and don't respond with anything other than, "Yes, Drill Sergeant!" Once they're done tearing you down, you'll be a bigger person than you ever were before.

Last thing. Relish it. It'll give you stories to tell the rest of your life.

The single best piece of advice I can give you is – don't ever doubt that you can do this. It's going to be tough, but that's the point. If it wasn't tough it wouldn't be worth it. You'll likely never do anything in your life more meaningful than becoming a U.S. Marine.

So when it gets difficult, remember two things: 1) thousands of people less smart than you, less motivated than you and less worthy than you have already made it through Marine boot camp. You can too. 2) Nothing they say or do to you at boot camp is personal. They're tearing you down to build you up. Learn when they tear you down. Don't take it to heart, don't take it personally, and don't respond with anything other than, "Yes, Drill Sergeant!" Once they're done tearing you down, you'll be a bigger person than you ever were before.

Last thing. Relish it. It'll give you stories to tell the rest of your life.

Thanks, knapp. I really appreciate the advice that all of you guys are giving me!

Hey don't regret not enlisting as infantry. One thing you'll learn is that everyone is infantry, most just do additional jobs. My mos was 31u then changed to I think 25 something. It was signal support, I just basically made sure the army could talk. Well when I was in Iraq in 05-06. I hardly did my job, I spent more time in the back of a humvee rolling around baghdad as a gunner for my Lt.

Honestly the infantry the only time they are doing their job is when they are in combat. Infantry soldiers have told me numerous times when they are not deployed they clean weapons, mow grass and paint buildings. When I wasn't deployed I was working on computers, radios and phones. Making sure all of my equipement was good to go when needed.

Hey don't regret not enlisting as infantry. One thing you'll learn is that everyone is infantry, most just do additional jobs. My mos was 31u then changed to I think 25 something. It was signal support, I just basically made sure the army could talk. Well when I was in Iraq in 05-06. I hardly did my job, I spent more time in the back of a humvee rolling around baghdad as a gunner for my Lt.

Honestly the infantry the only time they are doing their job is when they are in combat. Infantry soldiers have told me numerous times when they are not deployed they clean weapons, mow grass and paint buildings. When I wasn't deployed I was working on computers, radios and phones. Making sure all of my equipement was good to go when needed.

Good point. I'm sure I'll enjoy my job. Infantry just sounds more glamorous.

There's two reasons they pick on you.

1. You're a shitbag.

2. They see something in you.

Be number 2.

What does it mean if they don't pick on you at all.

You're either...

1. Really good at being a sh#t bag.

2. Somebody that just meets standards.

In this case, also be number 2.

I make too many lists.

or you can be picked on because you just happen to be very unlucky when it comes to drill sargents. I was picked on big time by all 3 of mine for the following three reasons.

1. I live in Nebraska and i'm a huge husker fan.

2. I was born in Mobile Alabama and root for all Alabama teams

3. My mos was 31U

that doesn't seem like much of a reason to pick on me you say. Well It would based off of these 3 reasons

1. I had a drill sargent from Boulder Colorado who happened to be a big buffalo fan. So every time he seen me I was doing pushups

2. I had a drill sargent from Florida who was a huge Gator fan. Who also made me do pushups because I rooted for the Alabama teams.

3. I had a drill sargent who had the same mos as me. Since he wanted to be like the others he picked on me for that.

In the end it was just pure fun for them and I even got some laughs out of it to. As I always did my pushups saying Colorado/Florida still sucks after doing each pushup.

I even ran into the drill sargent from Colorado when I was in Iraq. He recognized me and for fun made me do pushups in the dfac. When I realized who it was and why I was doing them. I was laughing so hard I couldn't get past 3 pushups.

Congrats on making the decision to serve! Being a USAF vet, I can't compare my boot camp experience as we had it easy. The below is taken from a blog on surviving Marine Boot Camp..take it for what it's worth.

1. Avoid eye contact. (It's harder for a Drill Instructor to intimidate you if you're looking past or through him!)

2. Bear in mind that no matter how traumatic things seem Boot Camp is only Temporary. In fifteen or sixteen years it will seem like a dimly-remembered cruel joke.

3. Trying your damnedest to achieve something is often more impressive than actually achieving it. Drill Instructors look for motivation and spirit more than anything else.Show it to them and they'll be happy.

4. Don't volunteer for anything.

5. Keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open.

6.. Never, ever, ask a Drill Instructor "Why?"

7.. Never smile at or near or within sight of a Drill Instructor.

8. When you have to say something to a Drill Instructor, make sure your words are of the one or two syllable variety.

9.. Eat quickly in the mess halls.

10. Begin and end every sentence with the word "sir" (i.e., "Sir the Private requests permission to speak, sir!" or "Sir, yes, sir!").

11. When you speak, speak loudly.

12. Avoid personal pronouns ("I," "me," "you," "they," "we") when speaking to Drill Instructors.

13. Reserve duty outside of boot camp is nothing like active duty during boot camp.

14. Don't question for one minute your decision to enlist in the Marines. It's too late to do anything about it now and it's not a productive train of thought.

15. Don't get sick.

16. Stay awake during the classes. You don't want the attention Drill Instructors lavish upon dozing recruits.

• Fire 2

Why the hell do people keep saying, 'don't volunteer for anything?'

Don't volunteer for EVERYTHING; it makes you look like a suck up. If no one takes initiative to get things done it's going to suck much more for everyone. Just grab your bunk mate and get the damn job done.

If you mess up and you get smoked for it? You just learned something and got free PT.