What is the definition of a Game Manager?

True2tRA

Geesh......

Tmart in 2010....116-of-196 passing attempts for 1,631 yards with 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions

Tmart in 2011.....162-of-288 passes for 2,089 yards with 13 touchdowns and eight interceptions

...and those numbers are with our wrs that drop two, three or four passes almost every game. But nevertheless, of course, according to you...."he can't pass". I think one could make the argument our wrs are wasting our passing game with their endless drops. They killed Z. Lee's numbers in 2009 with that too.

Bell, Reed & Turner could help themselves greatly if they could actually block someone. Heck, "anyone". That's a very important part of our offense that they're simply inept at. Obviously you casually dismiss that part but Beck, Fisher & Bo don't. Bell & Turner could also learn to catch the ball reliably. I hardly see them as being "wasted" this year at all. They're simply not the super stars yet that you're implying that they are. Not even close.

Lastly, why are you saying Carnes isn't on the roster? He's our #2 qb. Period.

I didn't say he wasn't on the roster. I'm saying our next QB likely isn't on the roster. I'm not confident Westerkamp will ever catch a pass from Carnes. Like you said - there is a huge gap between Carnes and Martinez...which isn't saying much for Carnes. I see it more likely Martinez starts the next 2 years, and Armstrong/Fuller or next years QB recruit takes over in 2014. It won't be Carnes as a senior. He either unseats Martinez mid-way through this year (maybe after our 30 point loss at home to Michigan?) and starts 2013, 2014...or he never starts a game.

I'm certainly not after some Dan Marino. What I want is a guy like Ganz, or Persa, or Reesing. A guy that can scramble out of the pocket and pick up first downs. A guy that is a threat to throw. A guy that doesn't turn our offense 1 dimensional.

We can emphasize running the ball without the QB being the guy that has to run the ball. Persa ran all over us, and he's not exactly fast. He's dual threat...but his arm is normally what hurts you. Why can't we find a QB that can run, versus trying to find a running back that can throw?

Again, Martinez has come a long ways - I still have hope for him. But if 2011 Martinez is what we're going to get for the next 2 years them we might as well move on to someone else. We are essentially wasting Bell/Enunwa/Reed/Turner. I have no idea how we were able to hang on to Westerkamp...it's likely the most impressive sales job this staff has done in their 4 years here. How do you pitch Nebraska to a highly touted WR when martinez is your QB and the next guy likely isn't even on the roster?

EDIT: and i've been saying Martinez can't pass, he can't read defenses, and he can't scramble (which is a major reason why you want a dual threat QB)

he can't scramble, that is obvious and his run threat is straight ahead off the zone read.......that's it, easy to defend if you think about it, as most teams have figured us out now, the big surprise threat is now gone, for the most part.

Riiiiiiight.

That's why even without hardly calling his own number this year and all the sliding when he did run the ball......

188 rushes for 874 rushing yards and scored nine touchdowns

...and those numbers include his sacks. Without the sacks his YPC is far higher than SuperRex's. But yeah, the surprise is gone so he's worthless. Oh well.....

I didn't say he wasn't on the roster. I'm saying our next QB likely isn't on the roster. I'm not confident Westerkamp will ever catch a pass from Carnes. Like you said - there is a huge gap between Carnes and Martinez...which isn't saying much for Carnes. I see it more likely Martinez starts the next 2 years, and Armstrong/Fuller or next years QB recruit takes over in 2014. It won't be Carnes as a senior. He either unseats Martinez mid-way through this year (maybe after our 30 point loss at home to Michigan?) and starts 2013, 2014...or he never starts a game.

Whoa.....yes, there was a huge gap this year but next year very well might be a different story. The light bulb clicks on at different times for all qbs and he's due.....it could be a vicious fight.

30 pt loss to Michigan? At home to boot? Geesh, Chris......go get yourself laid.

Whoa.....yes, there was a huge gap this year but next year very well might be a different story. The light bulb clicks on at different times for all qbs and he's due.....it could be a vicious fight.

30 pt loss to Michigan? At home to boot? Geesh, Chris......go get yourself laid.

I'm married, not much I can do about this one. :)

i try to manage it, distribute the beers equally throughout the day...gives me the best chance of winning. young kids these days think it's best to just go as fast as you can, out of control, catch the other drinkers off-guard with your fancy skills. I find their drinking unpredictable, and the outcome determined mainly on whether the light is on or off during the game. you could say i'm more of a game-manager when it comes to my drinking. slow and steady. At 140lbs I can get a 30 pack polished off if I start about the time Erin Andrews shows up on gameday. it's not fancy, but it gets the job done. I can't chug, or shotgun, or handle a bunch of shots. I leave those fancy skills to others on the team. Beer is for me. Call it boring if you will. But there's a spot on the couch at 9am for any fan of college football...and I'll outdrink you all day :)

i try to manage it, distribute the beers equally throughout the day...gives me the best chance of winning. young kids these days think it's best to just go as fast as you can, out of control, catch the other drinkers off-guard with your fancy skills. I find their drinking unpredictable, and the outcome determined mainly on whether the light is on or off during the game. you could say i'm more of a game-manager when it comes to my drinking. slow and steady. At 140lbs I can get a 30 pack polished off if I start about the time Erin Andrews shows up on gameday. it's not fancy, but it gets the job done. I can't chug, or shotgun, or handle a bunch of shots. I leave those fancy skills to others on the team. Beer is for me. Call it boring if you will. But there's a spot on the couch at 9am for any fan of college football...and I'll outdrink you all day :)

Well stated.

I've tried for many years to achieve your steady Eddy gameplan. I actually do quite well until......kickoff. Then my willpower is like sand running through my fingers. By halftime I can barely stand up and by the 4th qtr I'm trying to see the game with one eye open & squinted. I'm still working on it though.

Well stated.

I've tried for many years to achieve your steady Eddy gameplan. I actually do quite well until......kickoff. Then my willpower is like sand running through my fingers. By halftime I can barely stand up and by the 4th qtr I'm trying to see the game with one eye open & squinted. I'm still working on it though.

That's how I have to watch Martinez when he's under center as well. At least now I know why you have the opinion of taylor that you do...

Well stated.

That's how I have to watch Martinez when he's under center as well. At least now I know why you have the opinion of taylor that you do...

Heh...maybe so......maybe so.

You sound like a guy who hates these new microbrew beers- am I right? I'm right.

How'd I miss this topic? Too much time in the recruiting forum I guess.

Game Manager = Unfortunate Best Option

While I think that Taylor grew a lot in this department last year, I don't necessarily see him as a great game manager. A "game manager" is someone that doesn't let the game get away from them, and doesn't mess everything up for an offense. I feel that Taylor trys too hard to make the big play, he presses in difficult situations, and turns the ball over too much; all of those aren't traits of your typical game manager. When I think of game manager I think of Alex Smith (49ers), McElroy (former Bama QB), Joe Flacco (Ravens), and every Wisconsin QB prior to Russell Wilson (right Badger?)....