Not too much to argue here.

kramer

Answer man turns questioneer

As an alum and avid fan of Nebraska football, I am beside myself regarding the current state of affairs in Huskerland. At what point does AD Steve Pederson realize what he has done to the Cornhuskers, fire Callahan and submit a letter of resignation? He has turned a once perennial power into a mid-major. --Mike, New Jersey

Record-wise, the Huskers (5-3) are pretty much where most nonpartisan observers expected them to be in Callahan's second season. I picked them to go 7-4 before the year, and that's still an attainable goal (though Kansas will be a lot tougher than usual this weekend). However, just as stats don't always tell the whole story about Heisman candidates, teams' records can be deceiving. If you're a Nebraska fan, you have every reason to be embarrassed right now. Since when do the mighty Huskers rush for 16 yards ... in two games? Since when does the offensive line -- long a staple of Nebraska's success -- allow nine sacks in a game? Since when do the proud Blackshirts allow an opposing quarterback (Missouri's Brad Smith) to run for 246 yards? And since when does the head coach of one of college football's traditionally classiest programs (Lawrence Phillips notwithstanding) give a ref the throat-slashing gesture and blow off the opposing coach (Bob Stoops) during the postgame handshake (there's video of both floating around the Internet if you need confirmation).

That said, winning cures everything. Like it or not, both Callahan and Pederson will be back next season. A 10-win season will put a lot of the discontent to rest in a hurry. Another year like this one, though, and one or both parties are as good as gone. You saw it last offseason with Florida and Notre Dame: Three years, not four, is the new window of patience.

Is it too early to say UCLA coach Karl Dorrell is coach of the year? --Mark

I had no idea Callahan blew off Stoops after the game. Does anyone have footage?

He did, I seen it live. He didn't even look at callahan and stoops was trying to say something and callahan just walked off after sorta shaking his hands for .2 seconds.

Man some of you read into more BS then what is posted in the Enquirer! The guy was PISSED OFF! Don't tell me when you get so damn mad you feel like painting on a happy face and act like your just doing wonderful? The guy has passion and witnessed one of the worst officiating spectacules in the history of the Big 12!

I had no idea Callahan blew off Stoops after the game. Does anyone have footage?

He did, I seen it live. He didn't even look at callahan and stoops was trying to say something and callahan just walked off after sorta shaking his hands for .2 seconds.

Man some of you read into more BS then what is posted in the Enquirer! The guy was PISSED OFF! Don't tell me when you get so damn mad you feel like painting on a happy face and act like your just doing wonderful? The guy has passion and witnessed one of the worst officiating spectacules in the history of the Big 12!

Dude, it was totally bush league. billy c. can be as pissed as he wants, but he shouldnt disrespect the opposing coach for that? Besides beating him (twice) what did Stoops do during that game to deserve a reaction such as that??

The throat slash was one thing, but there is NO excuse for him blowing off the opposing coach. Not like that. :wtf

Nope, don't believe it. If Callahan wanted to talk to him he would have. He was pissed at him for what ever reason. Whether it's news worthy is debatable. Callahan purposely avoided contact, which again sucks.

Actually, giving CU 5 downs was probably the worst officiating in Big 8 or Big 12 history. There were so many people that should have caught that mistake!

Three years, not four, is the new window of patience.

Is it too early to say UCLA coach Karl Dorrell is coach of the year? --Mark

That's funny he says 3 years and then goes on to say give the UCLA cach the coach of the year award. People wanted his head after his first two years. THey lost 5 straight his first year and were 6-6 his second. The WCO will never work in college football. Ask Drew Olson what he thinks of that offense.