Looks like Romney is going to be the Republican's choice

Well geez...don't count Newt out yet!

About 6 months ago I was fairly cynical about a Romney presidency, thinking that in reality he probably wouldn't govern much differently than Obama and in some respects he may even be a better choice. That has evaporated as more has come out about his tenure with Bain, general worldview, and stuff like having an atheist posthumously baptized into mormonism. If there's any time between all the PAC ads, it's going to be mildly entertaining watching Romney be ripped to shreds.

Well geez...don't count Newt out yet!

About 6 months ago I was fairly cynical about a Romney presidency, thinking that in reality he probably wouldn't govern much differently than Obama and in some respects he may even be a better choice. That has evaporated as more has come out about his tenure with Bain, general worldview, and stuff like having an atheist posthumously baptized into mormonism. If there's any time between all the PAC ads, it's going to be mildly entertaining watching Romney be ripped to shreds.

Anything is better than this so called change Obama promised.

Anything is better than this so called change Obama promised.

More American than hot thought it less worse than Hillary Clinton or McCain/Palin.

Yeah but i bet Romney picks a better VP candidate than McCain did. Palin was just eyecandy and how everybody was afraid if McCain died in office she would be the President.

Yeah but i bet Romney picks a better VP candidate than McCain did. Palin was just eyecandy and how everybody was afraid if McCain died in office she would be the President.

I would hope so.

2008 was a low point in VP choices.

Then again so was 2004, 2000, 1996 and further back.

Romney Takes Nevada, But Obama Takes The Lead

This was supposed to be Mitt Romney's week. Back-to-back wins in Florida and Nevada have helped to cement him as the all-but-certain Republican nominee.

Instead, the latest ABC News-Washington Post poll points to President Obama as the biggest winner of the GOP primary contest.

President Obama has snuck ahead of Romney among registered voters, 51 percent to 45 percent. What's more, 50 percent of voters in the new poll approve of Obama's job performance and the same percentage say he deserves re-election.

"Two chief factors are at play," according to ABC News pollster Gary Langer. "One is the economy's gradual but unmistakable improvement, marked by the newly reported January unemployment rate of 8.3 percent - the lowest since a month after Obama took office. The other: questions focused on Romney's wealth, his low tax burden and, relatedly, his ability to connect with average Americans."

Here's a worrisome marker for the former Massachusetts governor: Fifty-two percent of those polled said the more they hear about Romney the less they like him.

The underlined seems to be echoing krill's comment in post #2 in this thread. Romney has so many skeletons in his closet.

Republican partisans are going to have to weigh their distaste for Obama with electing a candidate that could do more harm to their party by winning than by losing. I stick to my earlier prediction - the closer this gets to election day, the more it's going to become apparent that Romney is not electable, and the Republican voters will simply stay home.

The underlined seems to be echoing krill's comment in post #2 in this thread. Romney has so many skeletons in his closet.

Republican partisans are going to have to weigh their distaste for Obama with electing a candidate that could do more harm to their party by winning than by losing. I stick to my earlier prediction - the closer this gets to election day, the more it's going to become apparent that Romney is not electable, and the Republican voters will simply stay home.

Agreed. What should be distressing about the Obama numbers is that he really hasn't begun campaigning yet--he's only done a couple of stump speeches and a myriad of fund raisers, and he's (at worst) neck and neck with the likely Republican front runner.

And people still have yet to address the Mormon Elephant in the room wearing 'special' underwear--many of the evangelicals view Mormonism as a cult, and aren't likely to vote for a Mormon candidate (or, at a minimum, be enthused about said candidate). Many of the evangelicals in the Dallas area aren't too pleased (to put it mildly) and prefer Santorum, but he's only barely removed from the special kind of crazy that Palin is, so mainstream America will reject him in a heartbeat.

Frankly, I'd like McCain to run again (but instead picked a VP that didn't talk politics like she was beat over the head with a Looney Tunes ACME Mallet). Now that the Republican party has flirted with the alternatives, perhaps they'll come to reason and give McCain the full support he should have had since 2000.

Unfortunately, Romney will be the nominee. And also unfortunately, Obama will be re-elected and the downside of our country continues.

Santorum is not-likeable, Gingrich is absolutely insane and very authoritarian, Romey is a flip-flopper depending on who he is talking too.

The only candidate that is electable and has the right ideas and direction is Ron Paul, and that's who my vote is going to come hell or high water, just like when I voted for him in 2008.

We haven't had a good president since John F. Kennedy though.

Unfortunately, Romney will be the nominee. And also unfortunately, Obama will be re-elected and the downside of our country continues.

Santorum is not-likeable, Gingrich is absolutely insane and very authoritarian, Romey is a flip-flopper depending on who he is talking too.

The only candidate that is electable and has the right ideas and direction is Ron Paul, and that's who my vote is going to come hell or high water, just like when I voted for him in 2008.

We haven't had a good president since John F. Kennedy though.

Disagree with that. Reagan's second term and Clinton's eight years are probably some of the best this country has enjoyed.

I guess perhaps you're discussing leadership versus stewardship?

Disagree with that. Reagan's second term and Clinton's eight years are probably some of the best this country has enjoyed.

Reagan did some good things, but in my opinion more bad things.

Good - He unleashed the forces of capitalism to create growth, he opposed the Soviets in Europe, and he put our military in a condition of readiness and dominance.

Bad - He started the continuing treand of financial and industrial deregulation, he took the lead in bringing religious nuts and their flocks into politics, and he promoted the support of despots who abused their people.

Sorry, I don't recall first/second term differences.

I admit, I was not very old during the Clinton years and barely alive for the later part of Regan's 2nd term.

Clinton is a guy who you'd want to have a drink with, but I was not a fan of him looking back on his precidency.

Clinton was not a fan of the 2nd Amendment, and we were attacking other countries and in places we should not have been and bombing the hell out of them. Lying under oath was not good, and no I don't care if he had an affair, but at least be honest about it when you get your hand in the cookie jar. The problem I had was with the lie, not the action. I'm not a fan of spend, spend, spend, tax, tax, tax, and increasing the national debt either. I thought his foreign policy, while not as bad as Bush or Obama, was pretty bad too.

Regan talked a good game, but his continuous eslecation of the War on Drugs put us in a huge financial bind. He also talked of small government but his time in office did not reflect that.