McBride retirement

kramer

I have said this before and caught hell, but I think TO knew the problems headed the programs way. Unfortunately I think he felt Frank was better liked than what turned out to be reality.

Most of the older coaches did not feel Frank should have been head coach and there was problems. Byrne did not want Frank either, but Tom played the power card and it happened. I doubt it would be done the same if the chance was given again.

Tom did not like the kids leaving early, he never stopped it but felt they had an obligation to the program and him. He saw that changing, not only here but at other programs. Loyalty was a major concern.

I mean nothing negative in my coments, just that hind sight is much better. A lot of mistakes were made no question.

TO didn't exactly leave FS with a full cabinet either. I mean a full cabinet of experienced players. He left him with a true sophomore QB and a redshirt frosh. QB which neither of the two had seen pt at the QB position. He also left him with some poorer than usual TO RB's. There was definitely talent there, it was just extremely young.

I've always found it odd that TO supposedly retired due to health reasons, but then jumped from the skillet (HC at NU) to the frying pan (U.S. Congress). I can't think being in Congress is any less stressful than coaching. Instead of dealing with 100 some players, he's dealing with a hell of a lot more. Instead of dealing with NU fans, he's dealing with the entire nation. I think TO saw the handwriting on the wall as well. He was going to go through some slumps after riding the great players he had to death. I still believe if TO hadn't got Frost to come to NU, he'd have retired after the 95 season. Just my opinion.

I've always found it odd that TO supposedly retired due to health reasons, but then jumped from the skillet (HC at NU) to the frying pan (U.S. Congress). I can't think being in Congress is any less stressful than coaching. Instead of dealing with 100 some players, he's dealing with a hell of a lot more. Instead of dealing with NU fans, he's dealing with the entire nation. Just my opinion.

I was thinking this exact thing the other day. I actually agree with you junior. That doesn't happen very often. :thumbs

I have made that exact same coment many times. Normally get screamed at for not being a Nebraska fan.

Health and spending time with his family. Yea a Congressman is home all the time.

The ironic thing about his leaving, that year we fell off the recruiting map with any top level interest. Michigan ties us and gets something near 65% interested on Rivals, that would be 65 listed interest. Nebraska had 2. Something was going on, I have said it for years.

Unfortunately, very few coaches or athletes get it like TO did. John Elway got it, but Aikman did not. Montana did not. Hell even Jordan didn't get it. It's better to go out on top and be thought of as a God, than stay too long and have your memory stomped on.

You bet, I believe whole heartedly that TO knew we were gonna have some huge problems. I think his miscalculation was that NU would give FS the same graces they gave him, allowing him several years to fit his groove and get things accomplished. It was a bait and trap if you will. The AD didn't want to hire FS, but TO knew that if he didn't play his power card his entire old staff would be without jobs. Due to his loyalty to his old staff, he played that power card. I'm not saying anything he did was wrong, but look at where we are now.

If you remember right, Byrne wanted Bob Stoops. Who knows where we'd be if we had everything to do all over again. Maybe worse. It's all just speculation at this point!