Hope Springs a Kernel: Preview of four B1G opponents

NUance

Hope springs eternal: Scanning the Big Ten

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:00 pm

So why not take this time to peruse the Big Ten Conference landscape? What are the big spring storylines of those league teams on Nebraska's upcoming schedule? Today we take a look at the first four Big Ten teams on the Husker 2012 schedule.

WISCONSIN

Looming questions: Sure, sure, there's this obvious task of trying to replace quarterback Russell Wilson, the straw that stirred Wisconsin's drink last fall.

But there's much more. Wisconsin coach Brett Bielema is also working with six new assistant coaches. His offensive staff is completely revamped. Most notable among the departed coaches is Paul Chryst, who was heralded as UW's offensive coordinator. Now he's the head man at Pittsburgh.

<snip>

OHIO STATE

Looming questions: The search for playmakers is on. Who is ready to step up around Ohio State quarterback Braxton Miller?

Urban Meyer is as curious as any.

"I don't know who's going to catch a pass, and I'm sure you guys don't either," Meyer told the Columbus Dispatch. "There's no track record. You go back and watch the film and go, 'I don't know.'"

The Buckeyes also must replace some key cogs on the O-line, including center Mike Brewster and tackles Mike Adams and J.B. Shugarts. While there is talent up front, Meyer wasn't initally happy with some of the body types of the linemen when he arrived on campus.

LINK

Christopherson previews four of the B1G 10 teams we play.

MICHIGAN STATE

Looming questions: Husker fans might not think much of Kirk Cousins, given the way NU shut down the Michigan State quarterback last year.

But his leadership was a key component of that team. Now he's gone after starting the last three seasons.

Andrew Maxwell is the likely replacement. Maxwell has a high ceiling and a big arm, but has thrown just 51 passes in his career.

<snip>

PENN STATE

Looming questions: Will a quarterback please step up?

Matt McGloin and Rob Bolden both return, but have a long way to go if they want to put fear into any defense.

Paul Jones is also in the race, and Penn State is in the running for Danny O'Brien, who is looking for a place to land after leaving Maryland.

LINK

The other four conf opponents are covered in today's installation.

It looks like we have our work cut out for us in the Big 10 as always. It will never be easy but we never assumed it would be. All the more reason to keep improving and aquiring great athletes to plug into our system. I don't think Bo is a fool and he knows what the challenges are....but I also think he knows the solutions and is working towards them.