Barabbas

Really interesting stuff by Andrew Sullivan in the last week or so. Biblical history is fascinating.

http://andrewsulliva...t-politics.html

At the culmination of Jesus's trial, Pilate presents the people with a choice between Jesus and Barabbas. One of the two will be released. But who was Barabbas? It is usually the words of John's Gospel that come to mind here: "Barabbas was a robber" (Jn 18:40). But the Greek word for "robber" had acquired a specific meaning in the political situation that obtained at the time in Palestine. It had become a synonym for "resistance fighter". Barabbas had taken part in an uprising (cf. Mk 15:7), and furthermore - in that context - had been accused of murder (cf. Lk 23:19, 25). When Matthew remarks that Barabbas was "a notorious prisoner" (Mt 27:16), this is evidence that he was one of the prominent resistance fighters, in fact probably the actual leader of that particular uprising.

In other words, Barabbas was a messianic figure.

The choice of Jesus versus Barabbas is not accidental; two messiah figures, two forms of messianic belief stand in opposition. This becomes even clearer when we consider that the name Bar-Abbas means "son of the father". This is a typically messianic appellation, the cultic name of a prominent leader of the messianic movement... So the choice is between a messiah who leads an armed struggle, promises freedom and a kingdom of one's own, and this mysterious Jesus who proclaims that losing oneself is the way to life. Is it any wonder that the crowds prefer Barabbas?

Really interesting stuff by Andrew Sullivan in the last week or so. Biblical history is fascinating.

At the culmination of Jesus's trial, Pilate presents the people with a choice between Jesus and Barabbas. One of the two will be released. But who was Barabbas? It is usually the words of John's Gospel that come to mind here: "Barabbas was a robber" (Jn 18:40). But the Greek word for "robber" had acquired a specific meaning in the political situation that obtained at the time in Palestine. It had become a synonym for "resistance fighter". Barabbas had taken part in an uprising (cf. Mk 15:7), and furthermore - in that context - had been accused of murder (cf. Lk 23:19, 25). When Matthew remarks that Barabbas was "a notorious prisoner" (Mt 27:16), this is evidence that he was one of the prominent resistance fighters, in fact probably the actual leader of that particular uprising.

The choice of Jesus versus Barabbas is not accidental; two messiah figures, two forms of messianic belief stand in opposition. This becomes even clearer when we consider that the name Bar-Abbas means "son of the father". This is a typically messianic appellation, the cultic name of a prominent leader of the messianic movement... So the choice is between a messiah who leads an armed struggle, promises freedom and a kingdom of one's own, and this mysterious Jesus who proclaims that losing oneself is the way to life. Is it any wonder that the crowds prefer Barabbas?

I agree, when I was little I couldn't help but wonder why a crowd who loved Jesus just a week before would choose a murderer over him. Not until later did I realized he was a resistance fighter against their oppressors did I realize that many today would make that choice if they were not a follower of Christ and knew who he really was. :hmmph

I agree, when I was little I couldn't help but wonder why a crowd who loved Jesus just a week before would choose a murderer over him. Not until later did I realized he was a resistance fighter against their oppressors did I realize that many today would make that choice if they were not a follower of Christ and knew who he really was. :hmmph

Who was he really? It's a nice story but also keep in mind he is a country bumpkin rabbi. What i mean by that is country preachers tend to claim to have mystical powers granted to them by God. I actually met one and the whole hand on the head stuff is pure crap. They just force you to the ground if you resist and then claim the devil is working against him.

They just force you to the ground if you resist and then claim the devil is working against him.

Is there something you are need to get off your chest 99?

continue to do fake stuff that they sometimes do pisses me off when it involves me. I should've just took his hand of my head but i was with my gf at the time and really did it for her. He's was also a d**k about it too.