Husker tight ends ready to get more involved

I really have no desire to get the ball to Cotton unless it is open. That guy is meant for plowing and that should be his MO. I really dont think there is need for deception here, line him up and let him go. I will give him the advantage on everyone beyond the Dline.

Except that guy can make a tough, contested 3rd and long catch better than anyone. No denying his ability to use his body to make a tough catch. And he's reliable (for the most part).

I agree, Cotton was one of the most dependable receivers last year. Guy would get leveled on 3rd down and still make the catch. If Kyler is healthy and the reports that Cotton is a bit quicker this year are true, then they will be a nice pair of weapons to use.

knapp, I understand what you're saying - obviously Kyler is the better route-runner and bigger receiving threat, while Cotton is the better blocker. But if you run the option every time Ben is in and throw the ball every time Kyler is in, then you're telegraphing your plays. You have to mix it up in order to throw the defense off, even if that means running a play with sub-optimal personnel. It is ok to lose one battle if doing so helps you win the war.

The take from that is: Kyler should work on his blocking a little more and Ben should work on his route-running/catching a little more just to provide us with a little more balance so we can accentuate their skills.

Well it wasn't "every time" but I'm sure you were jus exaggerating. I would like to see kyler get the ball more often. I'd like to see some interesting sets where both guys are on the field as well- maybe as a 2-TE set or put kyler in the slot or whatever. But yeah- working to players strengths while mixing it up for the opposing defense is pretty much the job description for any O coordinator. I'll give beck a little leeway since last year was his first year.