Ahman Green on the subject of gays in football

Outsports.com interviewed Ahman Green about the subject of gays in Football. Ahman opened up:

LINK

“I’m from Outsports. We cover mostly gay issues in sports, and homophobia in sports,” I told Green. “Have you ever had a gay teammate?”

“In our sport, to be honest, I think it would be hard for any guy to come out while he’s playing,” Green said. “And that’s not a happy thing to say. The gay community is just like everybody else, but they’re treated

differently. It’s a double standard. If a guy was gay, he wouldn’t come out while he was playing. He knows the possibility of the scrutiny he might face from the locker room, which would be unfair. I am very open-minded. It is what it is. People are born that way. You can’t control it. Just like you’re white, I’m black. But a lot of people don’t think my way. I wish they did, because then there wouldn’t be guys who wanted to stay hidden.”

Prior to the Packers, Green played football at the University of Nebraska. Ron Brown was a receivers coach at the time, and Green remembers him fondly.

“I just knew he was a good coach, he motivated us to be the best we could be on that football field, and anything outside of that, he always tried to teach us to be a well-rounded person.”

Since then, Green has heard smatterings of Brown’s anti-gay preaching and his crusade to prevent protection for gay people in Nebraska.

“Each person believes in something. That’s what he believes in. To him that’s right. To other folks, that’s not quite the right way to look at things, because it’s 2012. Times have changed.”