CU recruiting might change

jsb7674

it could and should hurt CU. I cant imagine this wouldnt rub the good parents the wrong way. some wont care, but CU has been in the news for crap like this before and it has to have some effect. wheter or not we will reap the benefits is hard to say. but they have to go somewhere else. Id be interested to hear how many kids they attribute leaving to this incident. Any Colorado natives out there? what have you heard?

I think it may or may not. Depends on the specific recruits and their beliefs. See Murtha's MN visit.

I think many knew stuff "like this" had been going on for quite a while, but it seems those days are nearing an end. I see stricter enforcement in the near future, b/c now schools are going to be gun-shy about offending the wrong kid, so coaches are probably going to start putting the hammer down on this stuff.

Heres a follow up story to the one from the Denver Post. Appears CU's playing the "but everyone else is doing it" crybaby card. NU is even mentioned.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,3...1926555,00.html

Appears CU's playing the "but everyone else is doing it" crybaby card.

well, gee... isn't *that* surprising.

NU is even mentioned.

yah, 'cause *everyone* in lincoln know that solich was a mac-daddy pimp and encouraged his students to "go fo' da ho's".

whatabuncha moroonz.

pop quiz: how much class does CU have as football program?

run your cursor between the marks for the answer...

+

NO FREAKIN' CLASS AT ALL!

+

Originally posted by Butiki:

I highly doubt there'll be an impact.

I would have agreed until last night. In case anyone missed it, NBC News had a segment on this. That kind of publicity makes a lot of folks gun-shy - they may not care what antics occur, but they for damn sure don't want to have to worry about possible NCAA investigations and sanctions. A kid wants to go to a school in which he knows he'll get on TV, and sanctions threaten that. For that reason, I think it will hurt.

Originally posted by Blackshirt:

I see stricter enforcement in the near future, b/c now schools are going to be gun-shy about offending the wrong kid, so coaches are probably going to start putting the hammer down on this stuff.

I agree - in addition, as noted above, the more this kind of thing happens, the greater the chance of a reaction from the NCAA - and the sanctions that could follow. It's similar to the recent statements by Tagliabue regarding NFL players and taunting - the "Sharpie" and "Cell Phone" incidents. These things take time to accumulate and reach a saturation point - when they do, they result in a crackdown. Having something like this hit the national news programs indicates to me that we are reaching that point.

Looks like there will be an impact after all...

awww.. poor Buffy. My god what a trainwreck up there.

DENVER -- With national signing day looming, a recruit has decided against attending Colorado in part because of allegations the school used sex parties to land players.

A recently ousted player also has been arrested for allegedly molesting a fellow student.

Tavita Thompson, a 6-foot-6 lineman from Honolulu who had said he was leaning toward Colorado, has decided instead to sign with Oregon State, university officials said.

Thompson told the Boulder Daily Camera he was concerned the scandal could result in changes in Colorado's coaching staff, though he was reassured by the staff it would have no affect.

Thompson also said relatives in Oregon and its Pacific 10 Conference membership were the deciding factors. A message left at his home Tuesday was not immediately returned.

Colorado athletics spokesman Dave Plati declined comment until Wednesday, when universities can officially sign their recruits to scholarships.

Meanwhile, Boulder police said former Colorado quarterback James Colt Brennan, 20, was arrested Monday by university police on charges including unlawful sexual contact for allegedly entering a female student's dormitory room and exposing himself. Brennan was cut from the team last week after he was accused of sexual misconduct.

Campus police did not immediately return a telephone message.

The university was plunged into scandal last week after the sex party allegations surfaced in a deposition given by Boulder County District Attorney Mary Keenan.

Football coach Gary Barnett and university administrators have denied encouraging such activities. At least two university investigations are under way and Colorado president Elizabeth Hoffman this week said she was forming an independent panel to look into the allegations.

The university's Board of Regents will also meet Friday to discuss the scandal sparked by civil lawsuits in which three women say they were raped at or following a December 2001 football recruiting party. In a deposition for one of the lawsuits, Keenan said recruits were led to believe they would have sex with women at the parties -- and that the university ignored her demands to crack down.

Gov. Bill Owens has told the university to clean up its act.