What a sad day for Broken Bow

• 2 weeks later...

Broken Bow students still recovering from deadly crash

By Roseann Moring WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER, Posted: Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:32 am | Updated: 7:38 am, Tue Jul 3, 2012.

As Chad Christensen lay unconscious after a car crash that took the lives of two people, the 17-year-old kept pulling out the tubes that supplied nutrients and medication to his body. A nurse suggested that his parents give him something to occupy his hands, so his father gave him a baseball.

Though it would be a week before he woke up and two weeks before he could talk, Chad's fingers found the laces. Soon he was playing a very gentle game of catch with his parents.

On Monday night — almost a month to the day of the June 1 crash — No. 21 on the Broken Bow High School baseball team threw the first pitch at the Lincoln Saltdogs game, eliciting cheers from the stadium and tears from his father.

LINK

Chad and two of his teammates, and several family members were at the Saltdogs game last night. One had a broken femur, the other two broken femurs, and Chad was still dealing with his trauma. Chad threw out the first pitch and got a hug from a very cute Ms. Nebraska. The families were all wearing Team Chad t-shirts, and on the back they say, "I'm just recharging my batteries" or something like that.

He looks, from the cheap seats where I sat, like a fighter. He has a lot of work to do, but there is no reason to believe he can't do it.

Good luck, Mr. Christensen. God bless you.