QB Everidge

Former NU commit returns with Kansas State

TOMMY DAHLK

November 10, 2005

Finally, Allan Evridge has come back to Nebraska - wearing purple.

Just two years ago, it appeared the Kansas State redshirt freshman would be wearing red in his Memorial Stadium debut. While a senior at Papillion La-Vista High School, Evridge committed to play quarterback for the Cornhuskers and was drawn in by former NU Offensive Coordinator Barney Cotton's new offense.

But after every NU coach except Scott Downing was cut loose, Evridge decommitted and put himself back on the market.

Quickly, Evridge, ranked the eighth-best overall prospect in Nebraska by Rivals.com, gave KSU Coach Bill Snyder his commitment.

The Wildcats offered Evridge a scholarship prior to his NU commitment and said multiple factors played a role in his switch.

``One of the big reasons was the coaching change and what Kansas State had to offer at the time, a great program and a great coaching staff,'' Evridge said.

Nebraska didn't give up on Evridge, though. Evridge said NU Coach Bill Callahan called him a couple of times the weekend after he got his job.

Although he was flattered by the offer, Evridge declined and was sold on Kansas State's program.

Now, two years removed from his days as a Nebraska commitment, Evridge finds himself starting in his redshirt freshman season at Kansas State.

Coming into this season, the Wildcats returned two quarterbacks with starting experience: juniors Dylan Meier and Allen Webb. Evridge was expected to compete for playing time this fall, but few expected him to be starting.

But by the sixth game of the season, Evridge was named starting quarterback. Evridge had replaced the struggling Webb the previous week against Kansas and threw the game-winning touchdown pass in the fourth quarter.

Starting so soon was no shock to Evridge.

``I knew what I was capable of doing,'' Evridge said. ``I just needed to work hard and things would work out.''

So far, Evridge has put up stellar stats, and he's thrown for 1,263 yards, six touchdowns and five interceptions. His quarterback rating is 119.83, which is higher than Nebraska's Zac Taylor.

In the 30-28 loss against Texas A&M, Evridge threw for 357 yards and three touchdowns.

Evridge said he picked up Kansas State's offense quickly and thinks his style meshes well with the Wildcats' scheme in multiple ways.

``They (Kansas State) like people who can run and pass,'' Evridge said. ``It's what I can give the offense and my willingness to learn.''

Despite putting up impressive stats, Evridge has yet to win a game as a starter. The Wildcats have a 4-5 record and need to close out their season with two straight wins against Nebraska and Missouri to have a chance of landing a bowl birth. Last season, the Wildcats failed to make a bowl for the first time since 1992.

A win against the Huskers would be a memorable first and storybook homecoming for the freshman signalcaller.

All the hype surrounding Evridge's return isn't distracting him, and Snyder is impressed with the way Evridge has handled it.

``I really appreciate Allan's approach,'' Snyder said. ``I think he's a pretty even-keeled guy. He's not totally unaware of going back to Nebraska and playing there, but I think his focus is on what he can do to try get himself better and try and help our football team and I think that's where all of his attention lies.''

Whats your plan for this kid this weekend? He didn't drive so your great fans can't flatten his tires. What a great story this will be. Home state kid comes home and stomps Big Pink Nation.

Uh... sack him, knock down some passes, intercept a couple, maybe force a fumble, you know........ the usual stuff. :horns2:horns2