Where's the pressure?

Is this sarcasm? Maybe, maybe not.... Either way I feel its important to point out that Papuchis is widely regarded as one of the brightest young minds in football. If the defensive guru, Bo Pelini thinks he is good enough to be DC, then thats good enough for me, and should be good enough for everyone else in HuskerNation....

I won't argue that the DE play has been poor as of late, but we don't seem to have the necessary athletes at that position anyways. Meredith, and Ankrah are big dudes, and look like they could easily play inside.

and he backs this up with what? his time under Pelini as a G.A? His dominating defensive ends at Nebraska? All those honorable mention Big12 and Big10 lineman? Bo Pelini's "genius" in the defensive world has taken a hit as of recent - so just because Bo says JP is good enough doesn't mean we should all jump in line. JP is a great coach at 33. But he needs a lot more time to develop and be regarded as anywhere near an elite DC. I can't even find much of an argument (outside of recruiting) that he could be regarded as anything more than an above average position coach. We've got a coach that is learning on the job. We have an OC that is learning on the job. Now we have a DC that is learning on the job. Who's doing the teaching?

This is your opinion, not a fact.

I won't argue that the DE play has been poor as of late, but we don't seem to have the necessary athletes at that position anyways. Meredith, and Ankrah are big dudes, and look like they could easily play inside.

We have the talent, that isnt the issue. We just arent using our guys or the coaching has beeen lacking. I think we will see a new line under Rick; under Paps, it wasnt pretty . He may be a scheme genius, but his coaching up players has been seemingly lacking since he got here. Not bashing the guy, but KCHusker has some very valid points.

What DE have we had drafted lately? Pierre Allen got horrible reviews at the combine for being the slowest Dline there. We dont have the talent at DE.

I remember holding some "running" QB's to sub-standard days, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. I'll post the QB rushing numbers over the last few years when I've got some time. Then at least we can talk about the numbers instead of a couple data points and my memory of events.

I'm sure there is a few. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut (Suh) every now and then :).

But you can't put Wilson (who had some nice runs against us), Miller (91), Colter (57), Persa (35), Robinson (83), or Shaw (42) from last year on your list. Gray at Minnesota was billed as a dual threat and we stopped him, but I don't even think he was a QB until last year so he started out slow.

2010 was a little different, as we didn't face half a season of dual threats. Locker (59) - 1.0 got us for a chunk despite a horrendous offensive showing. Coffman (45) was held in check - but he was playing from behind all game. Gilbert (71) won that game with his feet. Even the previously lead footed Gabbert had 22 rushes for 74 yards. Pinkle keyed in on Pelini's inability to stop the run, just forgot to stop Helu. Arnaud (63) got his yards, as did Locker (83) in 2.0.

Not only did every "dual threat" gash us (save maybe Gray)...but some guys like Gabbert and Gilbert as well. You'll likely have to go back to 09', when we shut down Taylor early in the season to find a case where we truely stopped a mobile QB.

Huskerfowler;

It seems hard to believe how wildly unproductive our DEs have been the last four years. J. Tomich, T. Alberts, G. Wistrom, The Sandman, W. Harper, G. Andrews, etc, etc.....how can this be?

I realize a LARGE, large part of that is due to their containment vs attack scheme. But still, it's like they're not involved in the game at all. No tackles, no hurries, no sacks, no.... nothing. I just can't believe they're "that" bad.

Again, there's no denying how awesome Bo is at chewing up and spitting out pocket qbs. It's like clockwork. But it's also getting to be like clockwork how badly mobile qbs rip us apart.

Maybe you're right my friend and we simply don't have anybody in the front seven who can run down a fast qb. I sure would think David could have though. Maybe Caveman too (he would at least try). Bo's going wild with the LB recruiting so again you might be right. If so, I hope we get those kids on the field ASAP.

Ya we have had some very average DE as of late. I really wish we would have gotten Jason Pierre Paul to play with Suh, that would have been something to see.

I truely believe Pelinis scheme works, but its all about gap containment. If we stuff the run on 1st down, hold a minimal gain on 2nd and force you into a 3rd and long, that exactly what Pelini wants, but we need that lock down secondary and we didnt have it last year. If you think about it most of our sacks under Pelini have been coverage sacks, especially when you take Suh out of the equation. Last year our coverage was weak, QBs had guys to throw to, and theres your problem. Our defense hinges on secondary play, when they do their jobs the front 4 will have time to pressure.

Its just the way his system works. People need to stop crying about it, and act like it needs to be changed. Need i remind you that we have been very close to bein Big 12 champs...twice. Just because we had one down year on defense, doesnt mean we need to abandon Bos philosophy...and if 34th in total defense is considered a down year, then we are doing alright.

Its just the way his system works. People need to stop crying about it, and act like it needs to be changed. Need i remind you that we have been very close to bein Big 12 champs...twice. Just because we had one down year on defense, doesnt mean we need to abandon Bos philosophy...and if 34th in total defense is considered a down year, then we are doing alright.

need I remind you that we are in Big10 now, facing 6+ dual threats a year instead of 1-2? It's a big deal now, and it will keep us from even getting "close" if something doesn't change in the way we "contain" mobile QBs

you worded it as a fact, like you know what your talking about....when you clearly dont

i'm sorry, I'll add a little note at the bottom of every post that states it's an opinion. since I'm posting in a forum I realize some take everything as fact. my apologies.

PS: I couldn't find the crayon font for you, so hopefully black/white is good enough.

"this is an opinion"

• Fire 2

need I remind you that we are in Big10 now, facing 6+ dual threats a year instead of 1-2? It's a big deal now, and it will keep us from even getting "close" if something doesn't change in the way we "contain" mobile QBs

There is a reason alot of teams are switching to dual threat QBs....they are extrememly dangerous. When things break down there is usually alot of room to run. Of course there are a few different ways of dealing with it, you can blitz and hope you dont lose containment and give up big plays, or play containment and dont give up the big play (as many). Sometimes you just get beat, plain and simple, not much you can do about it. Thats why you play the game. Besides last year i thought we did a pretty good job of containing QBs like Tyrod Taylor. Again im pinning last year on the secondary, its easier to contain him when he cant throw the ball anywhere, when hes got room to run and throw, then your off balance and you dont know what to do (as a defense)

you worded it as a fact, like you know what your talking about....when you clearly dont

i'm sorry, I'll add a little note at the bottom of every post that states it's an opinion. since I'm posting in a forum I realize some take everything as fact. my apologies.

PS: I couldn't find the crayon font for you, so hopefully black/white is good enough.

"this is an opinion"

Ya know, it just seems like nothing is ever good enough for you. Our recruiting isnt good enough, our schemes arent good enough, our coaches are too young and inexperienced. Im not sure why you even follow the Huskers. You dont celebrate big wins in recruiting or on the field, you just come along and bring your negative attitude, and jump on every chance to say something bad about the program. We get a big QB recruit and all you can say is "hes not a 4 star on rivals" even thou hes one of the best QBs in the country (which you ignore) Being a fan is supporting your team through the ups and downs, not bitching about them every chance you get. I couldnt imagine watching a game with you. Learn to enjoy it a little eh.

• Fire 3

there's just such a slim margin for error in Bo's system when it comes to mobile QBs. unless we are senior heavy, we're going to have issues. like you said, sacks with this defense are more dependent on the secondary than they are on the DL. well, a mobile QB takes your secondary entirely out of it. the game is played 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, within 3 seconds of the snap.

"this is an opinion"

Ya know, it just seems like nothing is ever good enough for you. Our recruiting isnt good enough, our schemes arent good enough, our coaches are too young and inexperienced. Im not sure why you even follow the Huskers. You dont celebrate big wins in recruiting or on the field, you just come along and bring your negative attitude, and jump on every chance to say something bad about the program. We get a big QB recruit and all you can say is "hes not a 4 star on rivals" even thou hes one of the best QBs in the country (which you ignore) Being a fan is supporting your team through the ups and downs, not bitching about them every chance you get. I couldnt imagine watching a game with you. Learn to enjoy it a little eh.

didn't see you talking about us losing that 4* the other day. (i didn't say much about it either if you noticed). I approach things differently than you, that's obvious. There are lots of types of fans...those that bandwagon up and follow Pelini off a cliff. Those are the fans that are fighting tooth and nail to keep Paterno's name on everything at Penn State. There are debbie downers, and casual fans. I personally have more of a business background. I own a couple of companies, and nothing is ever good enough for me there either. You don't survive in my world by feasting on the status qou. You're constantly evaluating, constantly changing. You brush successes off as merely a milestone you were expected to pass anyway. I follow the Huskers (especially in the offseason) similarly. Nothing wrong with your way, and I hope there's not too much wrong with mine :)

I think our issues with mobile QBs are more when they extend plays (i.e, way more than 3 seconds) and wiggle out of the pocket. Some of this is simply credit to some of the talented QB we faced, not all of whom put up dazzling statistics. Derek Carr did a great job I thought, and kept us on our toes, though you might not guess it by his stats. Maybe I'm thinking instead of one of the other early QBs.

Our DL had issues period last year. Better DL = better push, better rush, better contain. The thing is a mobile QB will still have his moments just because he is very likely to wiggle his way out of a 1-on-1 in open field in the pocket against a DL or LB.