Where's the pressure?

I'd like to think so too. I remember when they were talking about some 5-star DT late in the came blowing up the phones of the staff along with other guys back in the aftermath of Suh's final year. Whatever became of that, I don't know. But we have been getting a number of good recruits. It's still a challenging process to get all the right guys in the program and satisfactorily developed.

As an X's and O's guy Bo has more than proved himself. As a manager of a program it can go either way. He needs to show last year was just a hiccup as we went through transition.

One of the game's best defensive masterminds, Bill Belichick, has regularly fielded some pretty horrible defenses. Sometimes you just don't have the guys to do better. His fault for drafting all those chumps on the one hand....

• Fire 1

I'd like to think so too. I remember when they were talking about some 5-star DT late in the came blowing up the phones of the staff along with other guys back in the aftermath of Suh's final year. Whatever became of that, I don't know. But we have been getting a number of good recruits. It's still a challenging process to get all the right guys in the program and satisfactorily developed.

As an X's and O's guy Bo has more than proved himself. As a manager of a program it can go either way. He needs to show last year was just a hiccup as our defense went in transition.

I vaguely remember that too.

I've always been of the mind set, build the line first, and work your way back from there. If we could get a couple animal defensive lineman, and just work our way back from there, things would improve.

JP said at an event last night in omaha

we feel better about the secondary and we will let the d line loose more this year. Last year they played contain more to help shore up the secondary

Goes along with what ive been saying

Yes, it certainly does. I want a "lot" of pressure this year.

Bo, get Caveman & Steiny ready to tear people up!

Bo's defensive short comings in the past partciularly in 2009 were masked by talent and a guy named by Suh, the next year the secondary takes over and you still have a good defense because teams can't pass successfully on you a majority of the time, then you get to last year where you only have one guy that is great with a bunch of average joe's and you see the result. Nebraska did not have a good defense last year, the numbers and personnel show that, Bo has to be able to change his defense when need by and allow more players to see that field that he wouldn't. He keeps great athletes on the bench and won't let them go out and learn by playing, he puts out guys that aren't as athletic but know his system and last year he figured out that doesn't work, athletes are needed to make a defense successful.

this is a tricky situation. i remember coaches always saying they didn't 'like' but could tolerate physical or hustle errors.

but the mental mistakes and not knowing that week's scheme and packages would get you benched after 1 play sometimes. if you don't know what your doing out there and are even a half foot out of position at this high of a level...it can cost you points and yardage almost every play.

but damn, watching a slow db or a soft d-lineman just plain getting beat is tough on fans, as all we see is that play on TV over and over.

coaches however watch excruciating amounts of film and i'm sure it's more difficult to watch a kid with a ton of talent be out of position play after play after play, which is what we as FANS don't see, and we are left wondering how Cassidy is playing in front of Smith.

we feel better about the secondary and we will let the d line loose more this year. Last year they played contain more to help shore up the secondary

A couple more guys who will help with pressure are Chase Rome and Jay Guy. One will likely be starting (Rome??), and the other backing up Steinkuhler. DT is a spot that is difficult to staff by playing the starter for the whole game. Sure we did it a few years back by having Suh play every down for nearly the whole season. But Suh is a freak of nature. Generally, DT is a position that takes at least a two man rotation to keep guys fresh and get a good push. Chase Rome and Jay Guy are another year further along, and should help things out considerably. I would think, anyway.

Bo's defensive short comings in the past partciularly in 2009 were masked by talent and a guy named by Suh, the next year the secondary takes over and you still have a good defense because teams can't pass successfully on you a majority of the time, then you get to last year where you only have one guy that is great with a bunch of average joe's and you see the result. Nebraska did not have a good defense last year, the numbers and personnel show that, Bo has to be able to change his defense when need by and allow more players to see that field that he wouldn't. He keeps great athletes on the bench and won't let them go out and learn by playing, he puts out guys that aren't as athletic but know his system and last year he figured out that doesn't work, athletes are needed to make a defense successful.

this is a tricky situation. i remember coaches always saying they didn't 'like' but could tolerate physical or hustle errors.

but the mental mistakes and not knowing that week's scheme and packages would get you benched after 1 play sometimes. if you don't know what your doing out there and are even a half foot out of position at this high of a level...it can cost you points and yardage almost every play.

but damn, watching a slow db or a soft d-lineman just plain getting beat is tough on fans, as all we see is that play on TV over and over.

coaches however watch excruciating amounts of film and i'm sure it's more difficult to watch a kid with a ton of talent be out of position play after play after play, which is what we as FANS don't see, and we are left wondering how Cassidy is playing in front of Smith.

Excellent post. I don't doubt that scenario for one split second.

A couple more guys who will help with pressure are Chase Rome and Jay Guy. One will likely be starting (Rome??), and the other backing up Steinkuhler. DT is a spot that is difficult to staff by playing the starter for the whole game. Sure we did it a few years back by having Suh play every down for nearly the whole season. But Suh is a freak of nature. Generally, DT is a position that takes at least a two man rotation to keep guys fresh and get a good push. Chase Rome and Jay Guy are another year further along, and should help things out considerably. I would think, anyway.

Yep, I bet you're right. We're "finally" starting to get some depth and talent on the lines (thank God) and that can't do anything but help. And the DTs are so critical...oh boy. When they're tough, so are the blackshirts. When they're not, well.....

I too would think Rome & Guy should be able to help us this year. With Caveman and some other DE or two standing up strong we'll be ok is my guess.

Yep, I bet you're right. We're "finally" starting to get some depth and talent on the lines (thank God) and that can't do anything but help. And the DTs are so critical...oh boy. When they're tough, so are the blackshirts. When they're not, well.....

I too would think Rome & Guy should be able to help us this year. With Caveman and some other DE or two standing up strong we'll be ok is my guess.

Where have I heard that before? .... oh yeah - every article published discussing our DL last year. :)

...if there's one thing last season taught me it's that we don't know if we have depth until about game 8 of the season. i will remain cautiously optimistic until then.

yep i remember my coach always saying ....".its a game of steps", if you take one step the wrong way your going to get beat.

Where have I heard that before? .... oh yeah - every article published discussing our DL last year. :)

...if there's one thing last season taught me it's that we don't know if we have depth until about game 8 of the season. i will remain cautiously optimistic until then.

My "glass half empty x 50" good buddy, Chris. :rolleyes:

Lol! I'll know when NU is on a serious roll and starts ripping people apart when I see them haul you away in a straight-jacket. Haha....this just might be a rough year for you compadre but I know you can adapt. Just five weeks to go brother!

WooHOO!!

I guess I just want a defense that scares people. You see whoever the ESPN/ABC sideline reporter walking off the field, interviewing the opposing QB or RB, and the guy looking like he's been in a fairly serious car accident. Just a lost, scared, disheveled look in his eye, that he's been hit by something, but he's still trying to comprehend what it is...

I guess I just want a defense that scares people. You see whoever the ESPN/ABC sideline reporter walking off the field, interviewing the opposing QB or RB, and the guy looking like he's been in a fairly serious car accident. Just a lost, scared, disheveled look in his eye, that he's been hit by something, but he's still trying to comprehend what it is...

This. I was fun back in the day when the game got to the point where the QB got scared due to the D.