What is sucess?

I know we have disagreements on the board about the current staff/schemes, however I was wondering how people would define long term sucess for the team. Lets work on the assumption that Callahan will get his full contract so that would be 3 more years after this if I am remembering correctly.

So what would you personally consider to be a sucessful team by the end of the season of 2008? How many Big 12 North titles? How many Big 12 Titles? What about NC games? Either playing in or winning.

Just trying to see what the expectations of others are out of curiosity.

I personally would see 1-2 North titles and 1 Big 12 Title to consider it to be a sucess or at least on the right path.

I could see that as success. A national championship is a little far-fetched as far as I am concerned. It took Tom Osborne 25 years to acomplish that feat.

I say we take it a year at a time and as long as there is progression, I am happy.

Harrison said it all during his interview after yesterday's game.

He said that they are all just trying to get the feel for the game this year. I would imagine he is talking about the WCO and the defensive schemes under Cosgrove.

If a few close loses and a winning season is achieved while "getting the feel for the game", I have no doubt NU will look even better next year.

I could see that as success. A national championship is a little far-fetched as far as I am concerned. It took Tom Osborne 25 years to acomplish that feat.

I say we take it a year at a time and as long as there is progression, I am happy.

He said that they are all just trying to get the feel for the game this year. I would imagine he is talking about the WCO and the defensive schemes under Cosgrove.

If a few close loses and a winning season is achieved while "getting the feel for the game", I have no doubt NU will look even better next year.

:yeah I think there is more progress this year all around. I mean not what you hear or see on TV or listen to on the radio. There is progress that us fans don't see on a daily basis as the coaches and players do. As long as there is progress each year I am content. As you said above it did take T.O many years to get the big one, but he did get to the big game often.

And yet, we expected Solich to do it in 6 years. He at least played for one in his 6 year career as HC.

In order to be successful, I think we must first at least accomplish more than the previous staff. So far, we haven't even reached the status of Solich's worst year at NU. In order to do this, BC will have to make a BCS bowl. He will have to play and win a NC. If he accomplishes this in his 6 year stint, then he was successful. If he does not, then we were all sold a bag of sh#t by Pud!

If BC is the "Ancient God" of recruiting, then none of this should be a problem.

Why do you keep saying this? You sound like an abnoxious fourth grader.

It's a math thing. Cally has four more years on his contract. I am hoping he gets all of it to get things turned around. As others mentioned in this thread, it can take MANY YEARS to build a championship team. :horns2

Obviously, since you didn't get it, my mission is not accomplished. :bang

So now you know the REST of the STORY!

It's obnoxious NOT abnoxious. BTW, you insulted me, I'm an obnoxious FIFTH grader. When you insult someone, you should at least spell it right. :rollin

FOUR MORE YEARS!!

FOUR MORE YEARS!!

FOUR MORE YEARS!!

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

And yet, we expected Solich to do it in 6 years. He at least played for one in his 6 year career as HC.

In order to be successful, I think we must first at least accomplish more than the previous staff. So far, we haven't even reached the status of Solich's worst year at NU. In order to do this, BC will have to make a BCS bowl. He will have to play and win a NC. If he accomplishes this in his 6 year stint, then he was successful. If he does not, then we were all sold a bag of sh#t by Pud!

If BC is the "Ancient God" of recruiting, then none of this should be a problem.

Man junior solich got handed the 97 mnc championship team, and it took him 4 years to get to the mnc game which we shouldn't have been to colo. handed us are asses and then miami thumped us. cally got handed a option team that he is changing to a wco team I would like to see a top 10 team in a couple years if he can keep doing that I would be happy sh#t it took tom what 20 years to win his first. GBR

Man junior solich got handed the 97 mnc championship team, and it took him 4 years to get to the mnc game which we shouldn't have been to colo. handed us are asses and then miami thumped us. cally got handed a option team that he is changing to a wco team I would like to see a top 10 team in a couple years if he can keep doing that I would be happy sh#t it took tom what 20 years to win his first. GBR

Man you cant really believe that can you??? :wtf From 97 to 98 he lost his starting qb, one of the top 3 I-backs in school history (2nd/3rd team all-American), 3 or 4 Oline starters (Outland trophy winner and another All Big 12 performer), 2 AA Dlineman (One Lombardi winner), to name a few. That team lost alot of great players. Did they have alot coming back, yes, but no team can lose 3 first team AAs and not have it effect them.

Bottom line, pud supposedly (hack, cough, sneeze) made this move to compete for championships now. Especially after a 10-3 season, anything less than playing in the Big 12 championship game is not success. No championships, and with billy c at the helm, none will ever be won.

agree good post.

Man junior solich got handed the 97 mnc championship team, and it took him 4 years to get to the mnc game which we shouldn't have been to colo. handed us are asses and then miami thumped us.  cally got handed a option team that he is changing to a wco team I would like to see a top 10 team in a couple years if he can keep doing that I would be happy sh#t it took tom what 20 years to win his first.  GBR

Man you cant really believe that can you??? :wtf From 97 to 98 he lost his starting qb, one of the top 3 I-backs in school history (2nd/3rd team all-American), 3 or 4 Oline starters (Outland trophy winner and another All Big 12 performer), 2 AA Dlineman (One Lombardi winner), to name a few. That team lost alot of great players. Did they have alot coming back, yes, but no team can lose 3 first team AAs and not have it effect them.

Bottom line, pud supposedly (hack, cough, sneeze) made this move to compete for championships now. Especially after a 10-3 season, anything less than playing in the Big 12 championship game is not success. No championships, and with billy c at the helm, none will ever be won.

Former I can believe that cause that is what he got handed! :wtf After winning 3 mnc in 5 years we should have been a recruiting juggernat, But I guess he couldn't get it done. Solich also ran the same type of system, not as complex as osb.. Where as Cally runs the total opposite of solich, so give the man time. If not we can agree to disagree, cause it all comes down to I believe one thing and you another but we are both SKERS. GBR

regardless of what anyone believes some people just wont be happy unless they have something to b*tch about.

i was not happy the way pud fired solich i felt after he made wholesale changes in his coaching staff and then went 9-3 he should have gotten more time.

now that the change is made we need to support the huskers with everything we have. all of the negativity can only be destructive to the team.

i feel that calli now needs to make some changes in his staff. norvell needs to go. how can a tightend be a quarterback coach? his skills at being an offensive coordinater is just that "offensive". and coz just over plans his defensive schemes in my opinion. wagner has not gotten any depth from last year to this year. run blocking sucks and we are lucky that taylor has not gotten anything worse then getting his bell rung.

oh well random thoughts

gbr

i felt after he made wholesale changes in his coaching staff and then went 9-3 he should have gotten more time. 

now that the change is made we need to support the huskers with everything we have.  all of the negativity can only be destructive to the team.

:yeah

GO CALLY! FOUR MORE YEARS!!

:bounce:bounce:bounce

regardless of what anyone believes some people just wont be happy unless they have something to b*tch about.

i was not happy the way pud fired solich i felt after he made wholesale changes in his coaching staff and then went 9-3 he should have gotten more time.

now that the change is made we need to support the huskers with everything we have. all of the negativity can only be destructive to the team.

i feel that calli now needs to make some changes in his staff. norvell needs to go. how can a tightend be a quarterback coach? his skills at being an offensive coordinater is just that "offensive". and coz just over plans his defensive schemes in my opinion. wagner has not gotten any depth from last year to this year. run blocking sucks and we are lucky that taylor has not gotten anything worse then getting his bell rung.

oh well random thoughts

gbr

With that in mind, maybe BC needs to fire himself. I mean he was an OL coach. How can an OL coach be a HC and have the worst OL in many many years. Apparently, he didn't inherit a terrible OL as last year they were one of the few bright spots. I don't know :wtf happened, but it wasn't for the better.

Other than that, I agree there needs to be some coaching changes. Doesn't it make you wonder how the new D cord. at Wisconsin after just a couple of years will be the new HC down there? I mean BA alluded that cosworthless would have been let go if he hadn't left on his own accord. I don't know what to think of Wagner because I don't know much about him. However, if his players actions on the field describe his coaching ability he definitely needs to find a new home.

I read where BC put in a call to Tom Lemming (sp) to find the best recruiting coaches out there. Now that he's found them, he needs to start weeding out the ones that simply suck as coaches. It seems to me that Blake is about all we need for a recruiting guru as he was in on about 2/3 of the incoming recruits.

I read where BC put in a call to Tom Lemming (sp) to find the best recruiting coaches out there. Now that he's found them, he needs to start weeding out the ones that simply suck as coaches. It seems to me that Blake is about all we need for a recruiting guru as he was in on about 2/3 of the incoming recruits.

Wouldnt suprise me at all. If you notice how the team hasnt improved in 21 games since this staff was brought in, it seems pretty obvious that they are not particularly good coaches.

Pick your poison..good coach, or good recruiter. Good coaches (BD/TO/FS) have done pretty well at NU (won about 80% of their games) good recruiters won about 50%.