Badger fan here - looking for a Husker fan to call in

Can

FLU is your man he has all the answers

Can he tell me why I have a Bobby Newcombe jersey still??

Also as a side note - the studio is at the CT School of Broadcasting near New Haven, CT. Just in case any interested Husker fans are in the CT area, the studio has extra microphones.

A Bobby Newcombe jersey marks the beginning of the end of Nebraskas dominance and competing with top 15 teams in Div1 football?

Yes, that's right, because it's not like we were a Texas screw-job away from the title game in '99 or actually played for the title in 2001 or anything... :rolleyes:

Just some simple facts to throw out there. Newcomb's final season was 2000. McBride's was '99. Don't really know what Newcomb has anything to do with the downtrend of Nebraska football.

Yes, the '99 season we were screwed out of, but the the title opportunity in 2001 was not deserved, and was quite frankly the biggest embarrassment of the BCS.

Newcombe had nothing to do with the down trend, the guy asked why he still had a Newcombe jersey and since he's a fan of Wisconsin.......I figured I would give him an idea of what I instantly think of when I hear Newcombes name. Other than Frank chasing tantrum throwing Crouch to Omaha.

Can

Also as a side note - the studio is at the CT School of Broadcasting near New Haven, CT. Just in case any interested Husker fans are in the CT area, the studio has extra microphones.

A Bobby Newcombe jersey marks the beginning of the end of Nebraskas dominance and competing with top 15 teams in Div1 football?

Yes, that's right, because it's not like we were a Texas screw-job away from the title game in '99 or actually played for the title in 2001 or anything... :rolleyes:

Texas screw job? Can you elaborate please? I seem to remember us fumbling the ball like 5 times and our defense not being able to stop Applewhite ( sack or pressure) when it mattered

Yeah he'll tell you exactly what you should think about the Huskers and why you're an idiot for not thinking the same way as him.

Or we can see if we can track down Tuff Tiger.

Tuffy emailed me just a few days ago! he has just been working too hard and can"t find this greatest gbr boards bs forum he said!

Can

Texas screw job? Can you elaborate please? I seem to remember us fumbling the ball like 5 times and our defense not being able to stop Applewhite ( sack or pressure) when it mattered

Maybe not as much of a screw job as we make it out to be, sure. But, on top of giving the game away, there were many very controversial calls, one of which even Brent Musberger lashed out about, and it was a game changing no call (pass int. on Texas on a 4th down late?, wasnt called). It shouldnt've mattered if we dont fumble at the goal line twice, no. Youre right, we had plenty of opportunities with the D dominating in that first half to have a 21,24-3 lead instead of 13.

Yes, the '99 season we were screwed out of, but the the title opportunity in 2001 was not deserved, and was quite frankly the biggest embarrassment of the BCS.

I can agree with this. Though, in spite of the Colorado debacle, I dare say we were still a Top-15 team. BCS worthy? No. But still Top-15--Oklahoma was no slouch that year.

You also seem to forget that on our final comeback drive, when we had Texas on their heels and DoNU was at the Texass 35 or so, we had two complete passes ruled incomplete--one to your precious Bobby Newcombe, the other to Dan Alexander. IIRC, the pass to Newcombe would had given us a first and goal, the later a new set of downs. Even Brent Musberger said on the broadcast were whiffs by the officials, in so many words.

As for the non-calls that accountability mentioned, that happened all game. No-calls for PI, holding...hell, Texass could have grabbed Crouch's fasemask, yanked his head all the way around, and the officials would have walked over to Crouch's body on the ground, counting their payoff from the Texas boosters, and told him to get up and quit being a p***y.

Okay, *maybe* I'm exaggerating just a little here...I don't think the Big XII officials would have *ever* let something like a player grabbing a facemask and twisting a head all the way around happen in a game without a flag or ejection. That's just too dangerous.

Maybe not as much of a screw job as we make it out to be, sure. But, on top of giving the game away, there were many very controversial calls, one of which even Brent Musberger lashed out about, and it was a game changing no call (pass int. on Texas on a 4th down late?, wasnt called). It shouldnt've mattered if we dont fumble at the goal line twice, no. Youre right, we had plenty of opportunities with the D dominating in that first half to have a 21,24-3 lead instead of 13.

I guess watching Husker football for a half a century, I stopped blaming officials and their "screw jobs" shortly after the FSU- Husker National Championship game. I will say the Texas A&M a couple of years ago was certainly a contender in game stealing officiating.

• Fire 1

I can agree with this. Though, in spite of the Colorado debacle, I dare say we were still a Top-15 team. BCS worthy? No. But still Top-15--Oklahoma was no slouch that year.

You also seem to forget that on our final comeback drive, when we had Texas on their heels and DoNU was at the Texass 35 or so, we had two complete passes ruled incomplete--one to your precious Bobby Newcombe, the other to Dan Alexander. IIRC, the pass to Newcombe would had given us a first and goal, the later a new set of downs. Even Brent Musberger said on the broadcast were whiffs by the officials, in so many words.

I would say a legitimate top 5 team even after that. There's not doubt in my mind. The ONLY reasons we didnt deserve to play for the title was 1)ugly loss to Colorado, and 2) Not winning conference title, or division, for that matter. Fact is, no one competes with Miami that night. It was a hungry and extremely talented bunch. Another thing is, we probably beat Colorado 7-8 times out of 10, and that blowout loss is obviously a 1 in 100. It was just one of them gloomy days that just didnt feel good from the start, and where nothing could go right. And that mentally carried over to the Rose Bowl. We were play for play with Miami for a while, but once one little thing went wrong, the snowball got rollin.

I guess watching Husker football for a half a century, I stopped blaming officials and their "screw jobs" shortly after the FSU- Husker National Championship game. I will say the Texas A&M a couple of years ago was certainly a contender in game stealing officiating.

I hear you. 99% of the time fans call for a screw job, you can go back through the game and find numerous examples that the "screwed" team did just as much if not more to lose the game as the officials. But every once in a while, you have games like Florida St. and A&M that are just so blatant and obvious, and there's nothing to be done to make up for it.

I would say a legitimate top 5 team even after that. There's not doubt in my mind. The ONLY reasons we didnt deserve to play for the title was 1)ugly loss to Colorado, and 2) Not winning conference title, or division, for that matter. Fact is, no one competes with Miami that night. It was a hungry and extremely talented bunch. Another thing is, we probably beat Colorado 7-8 times out of 10, and that blowout loss is obviously a 1 in 100. It was just one of them gloomy days that just didnt feel good from the start, and where nothing could go right. And that mentally carried over to the Rose Bowl. We were play for play with Miami for a while, but once one little thing went wrong, the snowball got rollin.

I think I have to disagree, Colorado wasn't a fluke, it was the new Nebraska or what we had/have evolved into. It was the beginning of the end, Solich had finally used up his Crouch card and you are right the snowball roared down the avalanche from that day forward. It wasn't even a surprise to many that had already seen it coming long before. I think beating the Sooners and ole choker Bobby Stoops was more surprising than the CU game for many of us.

Miami coasted against us, Crouch showed heart as always but that game was never going to be close, Oregon........maybe