Weekly Huskerboard.com Podcast

Nate

Podcasting is a blanket term used to describe a collection of technologies for automatically distributing audio and video programs over the internet via a publish and subscribe model. Podcasting enables independent producers to create self-published, syndicated "radio shows," and gives broadcast radio or television programs a new distribution method. Podcasting's essence is about creating content (audio or video) for an audiance that wants to listen when they want, where they want, and how they want.

In the podcasting model, the publisher publishes a list of programs in a special format, known as a "feed", on the web. A user who wants to see or hear the podcast subscribes to the feed in special "podcatching" software (a type of aggregator), which periodically checks the feed and automatically downloads new programs as they become available. Typically, the podcatching software also transfers the program to a desktop or portable media player.

Most podcatching software facilitates copying podcasts to portable music players. Any digital audio player or computer with audio-playing software can play podcasts. From the earliest RSS-enclosure tests in 2000-2001, feeds have been used to deliver video files as well as audio. By 2005 some aggregators and mobile devices could receive and play video, but the "podcast" name remained most associated with audio.

"Podcasting" is a portmanteau that combines the words "broadcasting" and "iPod." The term can be misleading since neither podcasting nor listening to podcasts requires an iPod or any portable player, and no broadcasting is required.

Aware of that misleading association from the beginning, some writers have suggested alternative names or reinterpretations of the letters "p-o-d". One alternative is "blogcasting", which implies content based on, or similar in format to, blogs. Another is "audioblogging." Yet another is "rsscasting". In 2005, the term POD has been described as "Personal On Demand" radio. Unlike traditional AM/FM radio, you can ListenAtYourLeisure.

Has anybody ever thought of this in the past?

This way the users can hear us verbally comment on the games/coaches/players etc.

Thanks for sharing Nate. I think thats a great idea, and agree it would be a valuable service for the board. As I mentioned in another post a few wks ago, I'd be willing to provide the support for anyone on the board that wants to get a Husker podcast going, i.e. dedicated site - huskercast.com, hosting etc. And Im sure once people saw what it was all about, there would be quite a few others willing to contribute.

So you sound as if you have quite a bit of knowledge on the subject Nate, & some interest - but do you have the time? I think it could really get rolling leading up to our bowl game, and also of course through recruiting LOI day. Im sure ETR would help with recruiting, as would others after I threaten their unpaid jobs. ;) So if you or anyone else is interested in running this thing, let me know and I'll pick someone to lead the show and run all the contributors through that person to coordinate the weekly casts.

Ive got the time, ill think about some ideas here in the next day or so, ill post back here when I figure something out.

Theres also the issue of hardware, mic's, mixers if people want to set up a time to call in for a chat, but like I said, ill post here when I get some ideas :)

Oh, and those that have never listend to a podcast, a buddy of mine let me use some of his server space to host this, its my new favorite podcast :)

http://www.hip-hop101.com/infected--0001--...11-11--high.mp3

My son uses a program to play games online and speak at real time with his buds I think it is called teamspeak? I don't know if that is a feasible alternative but it could turn into a free fire killbox in a heartbeat. I take it the podcast would be like posting only audio? I am so freaking technology idiotic except for my own little hospital world it is pathetic :):horns2

• 1 year later...