Stopping Mobile QBs

TSHO44

It would be cool to stop or slow them down. But its nearly impossible to defend against a mobile QB. You know what, even with all the hype around Braxton, he still hasn't proved he is a passer. Despite the poor play of Taylor Martinez, he still put up more passing yds and had a better completion rate than Braxton Miller.

Didn't we do that in the first quarter? Why did we stop doing what was working? We were stopping Braxton Miller int he first quarter. We had Urban Meyer scared that first quarter. What happened after that? Did we stop blitzing? What? That was so frustrating for me. It is also frustrating when we pass when we're in the red zone. Why? We're pounding the rock and then we go in the air? Why?? I also wondered why we didn't use Imani Cross last night. Did anyone see him in the game?

We all wondered why they stopped putting the pressure on Braxton after the first Q. Don't understand why this staff gos into a safe mode when they get a lead.

Imani did get in on at least one play I saw, he was flagged for a push in the back, on a punt or kickoff return.

GBR!!!

He got the last carry of the game as well. A 225 lb bruiser and that is what we do with him. Sad. Kid is a beast and could have helped pounding into that DL.

what i saw last night. In the first quarter ohio state was trying to keep miller in the pocket so our middle blitz and ends rushing was keeping him limited. After the first the started rolling miller out to the wide side every time they threw the ball. that gave the run/pass option. Never understood why we couldnt start blitzing from the outside more. I also really liked when we went to more of a 3-4 with martin as a stand up end/linebacker. I think that could have worked down the road

No one can figure out how to stop mobile qb's. No, Dennard Robinson is not a mobile qb. He is a running back-more like a cornerback-trying to be a qb, in a west coast offense. Braxton Miller gives everyone fits. Look all over the nation, why do you think the "mobile qb" is the hot trend in football right now? Because NO ONE can stop'em. Yes it's tough, but that's the way it is. We gave Ohio St. a lot tonight. We just dont have the horses yet. That's the fact.

^^This.

We don't have the talent on the DL or LB to stop a mobile QB. Scheme all you want, but if you don't have the guys to pull it off, it won't work.

what i saw last night. In the first quarter ohio state was trying to keep miller in the pocket so our middle blitz and ends rushing was keeping him limited. After the first the started rolling miller out to the wide side every time they threw the ball. that gave the run/pass option. Never understood why we couldnt start blitzing from the outside more. I also really liked when we went to more of a 3-4 with martin as a stand up end/linebacker. I think that could have worked down the road

You mean their coaching staff made an adjustment to what we were doing? But I've read on here that adjusments are basically figment of our imagination.

No one can figure out how to stop mobile qb's. No, Dennard Robinson is not a mobile qb. He is a running back-more like a cornerback-trying to be a qb, in a west coast offense. Braxton Miller gives everyone fits. Look all over the nation, why do you think the "mobile qb" is the hot trend in football right now? Because NO ONE can stop'em. Yes it's tough, but that's the way it is. We gave Ohio St. a lot tonight. We just dont have the horses yet. That's the fact.

^^This.

We don't have the talent on the DL or LB to stop a mobile QB. Scheme all you want, but if you don't have the guys to pull it off, it won't work.

MSU did a pretty good job of containg him. Are they far superior to us talent wise on D (serious question, I haven't seen them play this year). I do know our LB's are shockingly slow.

^^This.

Amd we never will, until we get a proven recruiter.

Didn't Michigan St. do a pretty decent job at stopping the mobile QB. I mean they only lost by one in a low scoring game.

A couple of things:

Ohio State is really inconsistent right now. The entire offense is brand new, and Miller is more of a freshman than a sophomore anyway, because the coaching staff was so terrible last year. So yes, he had had an above average game last night, but he also had a below average game against MSU. It's to be expected, so it's hard to compare the two games. In particular, he left a ton of yards on the field against MSU by not giving the ball to the RB correctly on the spread option; last night he did a much better job, and that had nothing to do with the respective defenses.

From what I saw last night, I agree that Nebraska doesn't have the proper personnel for stopping spread teams with mobile QBs. And I know that for a program that's clearly one of the top 10 in the country it's incredibly frustrating. But I've heard more than one coach and more than one analyst talking about how teams-- even good teams in the SEC-- are having to change their recruiting at LB and particularly on the DL. There's even some speculation that this is going to lead to power teams being able to run over them because they'll be quick but lack size. I don't think Nebraska is even close to the only team that is in this boat, the question is how soon they will acknowledge it and start recruiting for it.

It will be interesting to see what effect being in the Big10 has on Nebraska's recruiting. Their geography should still allow them to still get their share of Texas kids; will the exposure open up Ohio and Pennsylvania? If so, that's a scary combination.

Didn't Michigan St. do a pretty decent job at stopping the mobile QB. I mean they only lost by one in a low scoring game.

A couple of things:

Ohio State is really inconsistent right now. The entire offense is brand new, and Miller is more of a freshman than a sophomore anyway, because the coaching staff was so terrible last year. So yes, he had had an above average game last night, but he also had a below average game against MSU. It's to be expected, so it's hard to compare the two games. In particular, he left a ton of yards on the field against MSU by not giving the ball to the RB correctly on the spread option; last night he did a much better job, and that had nothing to do with the respective defenses.

From what I saw last night, I agree that Nebraska doesn't have the proper personnel for stopping spread teams with mobile QBs. And I know that for a program that's clearly one of the top 10 in the country it's incredibly frustrating. But I've heard more than one coach and more than one analyst talking about how teams-- even good teams in the SEC-- are having to change their recruiting at LB and particularly on the DL. There's even some speculation that this is going to lead to power teams being able to run over them because they'll be quick but lack size. I don't think Nebraska is even close to the only team that is in this boat, the question is how soon they will acknowledge it and start recruiting for it.

It will be interesting to see what effect being in the Big10 has on Nebraska's recruiting. Their geography should still allow them to still get their share of Texas kids; will the exposure open up Ohio and Pennsylvania? If so, that's a scary combination.

This is all very true, but we just came out of a conference that was pretty much all spread oriented. Then we said that after last season that we need to recruit to the Big 10 style to be able to compete, because they are all so much bigger than us. I know you need a combination of both power and speed, but IMO it all comes down to coaching. The coaches have to be able to change and use the talent they have and put them in position to succeed, and not be bullheaded and think it will all work itself out.