Vote for ___ or lose your job!!

So under Obama the rich investors have gotten richer, got it. Hooray for the poor and middle class who have little money to invest in the first place because it's all going to fill up their gas tanks.

I wonder how that fits into the "Obama is anti-business" narrative?

they really want it both ways.

So under Obama the rich investors have gotten richer, got it. Hooray for the poor and middle class who have little money to invest in the first place because it's all going to fill up their gas tanks.

I don't know. I wonder how that fits into the "Obama is the champion of the middle class" narrative?

they are not mutually exclusive. it appears obama is better for the middle class and good for business, while romney is only good for the super-rich.

So under Obama the rich investors have gotten richer, got it.

I don't know. I wonder how that fits into the "Obama is the champion of the middle class" narrative?

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other. Could you explain?

From an employers perspective, the " or lose your job" part of the plea to vote for Romney is not a direct threat but rather a dose of economic reality. An employer has no way to know how you voted and, even if they did, firing someone for how they voted would subject them to possible wrongful termination charges.

No, it's pretty much a direct threat, no matter how hard you try to justify using intimidation and scare tactics to secure votes.

And while an employer has no way to know how you voted, whether or not you voted in of itself and which party you're registered under (if states require it) *is* a matter of public record and can be researched by an employer.

I understand what you're saying and that is why I as an employer would not tell people how they should vote. But, please try to understand what I really said. What I said was my employees continued employment relies heavily on a different economic climate. It may not be this way for all businesses or industries but I can tell you that a change of parties in the White House could only help my business. I have been told on many occasions over the last year or two by our larger corporation type customers, and even a few smaller businesses, that they are awaiting election results to loosen the purse strings. They've got the money to spend on capital projects BUT their capital spending is down severely over the last couple of years. For me, it really has nothing to do with which side may have the better economic plan. The fact of the matter is that my customers have expressed a desire to have somebody other than Obama in the WH. Right, wrong, or indifferent, the current occupant of the White House is suppressing my business.

From an employers perspective, the " or lose your job" part of the plea to vote for Romney is not a direct threat but rather a dose of economic reality. An employer has no way to know how you voted and, even if they did, firing someone for how they voted would subject them to possible wrongful termination charges.

No, it's pretty much a direct threat, no matter how hard you try to justify using intimidation and scare tactics to secure votes.

And while an employer has no way to know how you voted, whether or not you voted in of itself and which party you're registered under (if states require it) *is* a matter of public record and can be researched by an employer.

I understand what you're saying and that is why I as an employer would not tell people how they should vote. But, please try to understand what I really said. What I said was my employees continued employment relies heavily on a different economic climate. It may not be this way for all businesses or industries but I can tell you that a change of parties in the White House could only help my business. I have been told on many occasions over the last year or two by our larger corporation type customers, and even a few smaller businesses, that they are awaiting election results to loosen the purse strings. They've got the money to spend on capital projects BUT their capital spending is down severely over the last couple of years. For me, it really has nothing to do with which side may have the better economic plan. The fact of the matter is that my customers have expressed a desire to have somebody other than Obama in the WH. Right, wrong, or indifferent, the current occupant of the White House is suppressing my business.

honestly, i am just shocked that your business has been able to already survive four years of obama. truly miraculous.

Really? I don't think you need it explained. If you don't see the point I am trying to make, explaining it surely wouldn't help.

Really? I don't think you need it explained. If you don't see the point I am trying to make, explaining it surely wouldn't help.

explaining never helps make points.

. . . so you don't know?

Note to Obama: It’s Still the Economy, Stupid

In the last three weeks of the race, the president needs to draw a simple contrast with Romney on the economy: Obama has a plan to create 2 million new jobs while Romney not only doesn’t have a credible jobs plan, but is actually advocating ideas that would make the economy worse. (See Paul Krugman’s “Five Points To Nowhere.” Romney claims his five-point plan would create 12 million new jobs, but the economy is already projected to add that many jobs over the next four years.) That distinction didn’t come across clearly in the first debate and Obama will have a missed a huge opportunity if voters don’t understand this crucial difference between the candidates in the next presidential debate.

Consumer confidence index jumps to five-year high

Despite dark clouds in the global and U.S. economies, American consumers are feeling more upbeat than they have at any time since the fall of 2007.

That is according to an unexpectedly strong reading of consumer sentiment from the University of Michigan andThomson Reuters, released Friday. The report suggests that the holiday shopping season could turn out stronger than forecast.

The widely followed index jumped to 83.1 in October -- a nearly five-point gain from the previous month and the highest since September 2007.

Measures of both components of the index -- people's assessment of their current financial conditions and future expectations -- went up over the month. Sentiments rose for families making more than $75,000, as well as those making less.

honestly, i am just shocked that your business has been able to already survive four years of obama. truly miraculous.

Don't worry, I fully acquired the smart-ass tone of your reply. I have tried to express this numerous times while posting here over the last few months but, I'll try one more time. 1- My business may or may not be representative of most or even very many other businesses. 2- My businesses experience over the last few years is what it is. 3- I cannot tell you with 100% confidence that anything Obama has done or not done has directly affected my business. 4- I am quite certain that the biggest issue is simply that many companies who we typically do business with would feel more confident to spend on capital projects if Obama was out and a Republican was in. Near as I can tell it is primarily A) fear of what Obama may do as a lame duck President as far as tax increases and eliminating deductions and B) the perception that the economic climate will be better for my customers with Romney in the WH.

It may totally unfounded and based on nothing concrete but I can tell you that is the way it is. In my mind it is a perception issue (right or wrong). I can't choose to ignore what may benefit my business lest I be the one out looking for a different job.

edit- And I will tell you things have improved rather significantly over the last 2-3 months. I attribute that to pent up demand that people want to spend and they may be anticipating positive election results. However, I think if Obama is re-elected that they will return to the tight purse strings. Or, possibly I can't read my customers or the economy at all. I will say I've done pretty good at those things at least until recently.

Don't worry, I fully acquired the smart-ass tone of your reply.

i was not worried.

I have tried to express this numerous times while posting here over the last few months but, I'll try one more time. 1- My business may or may not be representative of most or even very many other businesses. 2- My businesses experience over the last few years is what it is. 3- I cannot tell you with 100% confidence that anything Obama has done or not done has directly affected my business. 4- I am quite certain that the biggest issue is simply that many companies who we typically do business with would feel more confident to spend on capital projects if Obama was out and a Republican was in. Near as I can tell it is primarily A) fear of what Obama may do as a lame duck President as far as tax increases and eliminating deductions and B) the perception that the economic climate will be better for my customers with Romney in the WH.

It may totally unfounded and based on nothing concrete but I can tell you that is the way it is. In my mind it is a perception issue (right or wrong). I can't choose to ignore what may benefit my business lest I be the one out looking for a different job.

fair enough. i can not argue with that, given all of the vagaries. it does seem hard to believe given the path of the economy, consumer perception, and that the market has historically done much better during democrats' administrations. but who am i to argue with your customers? however, when you say, "It may not be this way for all businesses or industries but I can tell you that a change of parties in the White House could only help my business" [emphasis added], i am going to try to demonstrate how obama has and will continue to help the economy.

. . . so you don't know?

This really should be obvious to you but I'll briefly explain my point.

The democrat/Obama narrative is that the middle class is suffering because the rich are getting richer. You know, that whole blame the 1% deal. So, if under Obama the rich are in fact doing well and getting richer, doesn't it follow that it must come at the further expense of the middle class who Obama and the dems claim to be primarily concerned about? Really, you don't see that as being sort of the flip side of your question?

The democrat/Obama narrative is that the middle class is suffering because the rich are getting richer. You know, that whole blame the 1% deal. So, if under Obama the rich are in fact doing well and getting richer, doesn't it follow that it must come at the further expense of the middle class who Obama and the dems claim to be primarily concerned about?

Is the narrative that the middle class is suffering because the rich are getting richer or is it that the rich are getting richer and the middle class is suffering? (Suffering might not be the right word. Stagnating is probably closer to the truth. I used suffering for consistency with your statement.)

The latter is true. I have no idea how you'd show the former.

Really, you don't see that as being sort of the flip side of your question?

No.

fair enough. i can not argue with that, given all of the vagaries. it does seem hard to believe given the path of the economy, consumer perception, and that the market has historically done much better during democrats' administrations. but who am i to argue with your customers? however, when you say, "It may not be this way for all businesses or industries but I can tell you that a change of parties in the White House could only help my business" [emphasis added], i am going to try to demonstrate how obama has and will continue to help the economy.

And, that is fair enough from point of view. All I am trying to do is give a real, personal, first hand account of what this economy has been like on MY business. That means a lot more to me than these linked posts about how OTHER businesses or the economy in general may be doing. I realize that at that point it is merely anecdotal evidence but I really have no reason to try to be less than honest. If I felt the economic climate would be better for me personally with an Obama administration, it would be stupid of me to go against what I truly feel would benefit me. I would have to be some kind of idiot to believe in my heart that Obama was good for my business but then turn around and say I didn't think he was good for it.

And, that is fair enough from point of view. All I am trying to do is give a real, personal, first hand account of what this economy has been like on MY business. That means a lot more to me than these linked posts about how OTHER businesses or the economy in general may be doing. I realize that at that point it is merely anecdotal evidence but I really have no reason to try to be less than honest. If I felt the economic climate would be better for me personally with an Obama administration, it would be stupid of me to go against what I truly feel would benefit me. I would have to be some kind of idiot to believe in my heart that Obama was good for my business but then turn around and say I didn't think he was good for it.

i agree. we all have our own reasons for voting. sorry for being a smartass, it is who i am.