Penn St. game set for 2:30 PM

QMany

The Big 10's no night games in November rule is outdated.

+1

No doubt. November primetime football games are about as exciting as it gets. It would give far bigger exposure to the B1G as well. The conference needs a shot of life right now and it is missing out on a huge opportunity by limiting game times. To appease the people who still favor this current policy due to weather, the conference can at least set up a couple games at indoor neutral sites like Lucas Oil and the new Vikings Stadium. Regardless, the weather is a part of the game and shouldn't be worth wasting potential increases in national interest towards the B1G brand.

+1

No doubt. November primetime football games are about as exciting as it gets. It would give far bigger exposure to the B1G as well. The conference needs a shot of life right now and it is missing out on a huge opportunity by limiting game times. To appease the people who still favor this current policy due to weather, the conference can at least set up a couple games at indoor neutral sites like Lucas Oil and the new Vikings Stadium. Regardless, the weather is a part of the game and shouldn't be worth wasting potential increases in national interest towards the B1G brand.

I am sure your right that a policy is in place but is it in writing or more of a verbal/general understanding that BIG10 has no night games in Nov.?

+1

I am sure your right that a policy is in place but is it in writing or more of a verbal/general understanding that BIG10 has no night games in Nov.?

I'm not sure, about all I can find is things saying there is a "policy against November night games". How it is written, I can't say.

Brian from Canton, Ohio, writes: Hi Adam,Is there any chance of the OSU v Illinios game being at 8pm on Nov 3rd.?Can we count on it being either noon or 3:30?Do you have a gut feel for the actual start time?

Adam Rittenberg: No, Brian, there's zero chance of that happening because of the Big Ten's policy against November night games. Although schools can petition for November night games -- there was some talk about it with Penn State and Ohio State a few years ago -- the expectation is every November game will kick off at noon ET or 3:30 p.m. ET. I'm not privy to discussions about the start time. If I had to guess, I'd say noon ET. But we'll find out for sure after Saturday's games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/63271/big-ten-friday-mailblog-113

On second thought:

hthttp://thegazette.com/2010/10/30/delany-undecided-about-future-big-ten-outdoor-november-night-games/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Nebraska joins the Big Ten next year, which gives the league 96 regular-season games — up by eight — and 22 are scheduled in November. There is no Big Ten policy against November night games, but the league’s television contracts prohibit them.

I'm surprised Delaney hasn't addressed this issue. I understand there is a delicate balancing act of maintaining old traditions and adapting to current trends.

Just my opinion, but the bottom line seems to me that this is an exposure issue. We can't have marquee games missing eyeballs because it's on in the afternoon when some people, (like mrandyk) have to work or have other obligations.

If, say, two years from now, we play Michigan in November (we do) and we're both in the top ten, and say, hypothetically, a #8 Oregon is playing a #14 Stanford, and the Pac 12 game gets the night slot while we get the 2:30 game, that hurts our national exposure level. Which arguably affects recruiting, national perception that either Oregon or Stanford is better than the winner of the NU-Mich game simply because people go with what they see, and if they see a strong Oregon win and miss the highlites of our game they might make snap judgements, as people often do. (And, by proxy, the Pac 12 gets a little surge ahead of our conference just based on what people saw and what they didn't...those things can hurt our conference.)

Delaney is a smart, calculating individual. I am confident he has sound reasons for the decisions he makes. I hope he considers lifting the restriction on November night games. I'm envisioning some future NU-MSU brawl with heavy snow falling at night on national TV, and you know damn well people are going to watch that kind of game. (Southern kids may be turned off by the elements maybe...but if they can't handle a litle inclement weather, how bad do we realy need 'em anyway?)

The league’s media agreements prevent schools from playing night games in November, but Delany has no opposition toward changes.

“November night games could be if that’s what our schools wanted,” Delany said. “There’s no line in the sand on that issue. Typically the weather really changes in the third and four week of October so we’ve been mindful about the fans and their comfort. But if people wanted to experiment, we don’t have any philosophical opposition.”

http://www.kcrg.com/sports/local/B1G-Commissioner-Delany-Talks-Playoffs-Night-Games-175856871.html

• Fire 1

The league’s media agreements prevent schools from playing night games in November, but Delany has no opposition toward changes.

“November night games could be if that’s what our schools wanted,” Delany said. “There’s no line in the sand on that issue. Typically the weather really changes in the third and four week of October so we’ve been mindful about the fans and their comfort. But if people wanted to experiment, we don’t have any philosophical opposition.”

http://www.kcrg.com/sports/local/B1G-Commissioner-Delany-Talks-Playoffs-Night-Games-175856871.html

Nice, thanks for the link.

What I was getting at was really more asking why Delaney hasn't just gotten it done. As I understand it, (and I of course could be wrong) Delaney calls the shots, and he's basically universally respected around the conference as well as nationally. I just think that if Delaney wanted this done, it would be. No red tape delays or anything, just put in place basically right after the decision. (The next season if during a season, probably.)

I don't think Delaney is a tyrant by any means. But I just get the sense that he's a highly, tangibly competant person. If the commissioner said, "we need to do this," I think there would be little to no opposition. And in fairness, I'm likely inclined to believe that because I see nothing but benefit for the conference were we to allow primetime games in November. Perhaps some of our conference mates would resist late season night games. Why, I couldn't guess. Weather isn't a good enough reason. It isn't 5 degrees in November. (And we've played a few of those anyway. No one died.)