Voter fraud vs voter suppression

There seems to be several threads that have both issues intermingled and I wanted to get an opinion from both sides. Some (myself) would say that voter ID laws need to be the norm. Others say it disenfranchises and discriminates against persons'.

My question is how does requiring a gov't issued ID discriminate persons'? The govt already provides so much to so many, why can't they "voucher" the cost of a $10-$20 state ID card? How are people without an ID getting bank accounts, jobs or loans?

In my current state, one can register on line, print out the application, go to the designated office and without any form of ID, get your voter registration card. Then when you vote, you do not even show (not allowed to) any form of ID. On the application you can even draw a map to where you live as proof of residence.

A govt issued ID was required to get into the NAACP conference this year in Texas, the RNC and DNC yet there was no out cry.

I really have no issue with going through the rolls and removing, illegal aliens (illegal to vote), deceased persons and convicted felons who have not restored their "citizenship" (again illegal to vote). I do have an issue when Florida just removed Vets from the roll as they were deployed during two election cycles and missed the mail notices, I do have an issue when people are not allowed to vote for not being able to prove who they are. I do have issue when people are not required to provide any ID what so ever for a right that 10's of thousands of Americans have died for to preserve.

If the voter ID push came after this election cycle, would those currently opposed then favor it.

I really think that we are all kidding ourselves to think that voter fraud does not exist or cannot change an election. At the national level perhaps not (although see GW vs Gore) and look at the issues in 2010 IIRC in Minnesota.

• Fire 1

Absolutely the RIGHT time to do it is immediately AFTER a national election. No one can claim interference with a current election and four years to get it implemented before the next cycle.

I would like to see ID reform and do away with the electoral college. Popular vote wins. Sad, but 49.9% of state X go for candidate A and 50.1% go for candidate B, the electoral votes all go to candidate A. Smaller states don't count as much as big states. My vote doesn't count as much as a vote from say Fl, Texas or CA.