Christmas Prime Rib

I was thinking of using my Cabela's electric smoker to finish off my Christmas prime rib. I plan to put it in the oven on 500 degrees for awhile to sear the outside, then put it in the smoker on 200 for the rest of the cooking. I'm NOT going to put any wood chips in it at all, just use the smoker as another oven.

Will it worK?

I posted this same question on a non-Husker message board and someone suggested putting the rib in an oven bag to keep in the moisture. Remember, I'm not smoking it, just cooking it and these smokers have a tendancy to dry out meat a bit, especially if there isn't a whole lot of fat to begin with.

Is that the little Bradley smoker? Looks like a dorm fridge? If so I think if you kept the little water tray full you will have plenty of moisture. Remember an oven is a dry environment as well. (actually gas is not, electric is FWIW)

I would just close the vents, along with the sear being done, I think you should be fine. Prime rib has a lot of inter-muscular fat, meaning even if you trim the fat cap (I wouldn't) you still have plenty in the meat to keep it moist and tender.

Let us know how it turns out