If we win turnover battle, we beat Wisc going away

Maxconvert

All I know is that if Nebraska loses and allows a 7 - 5 team to play in the venerated Rose Bowl, every football fan in the U.S.A. will hate us.

And they will have a point.

A must win game if we want the respect we often feel entitled to.

I don't take "intangibles" very seriously, but to the extent they matter, they tend to favor Wisconsin for this reason. NU has to win this game or it's embarrassing, heartbreaking, and just plain kick in the nuts humiliating. Wisconsin, on the other hand, can just go out, hang it all out there, have fun and if the ball bounces their way they just might get back to Camp Randall West in Pasadena (lol).

Again, these guys have been playing football every week since they were six years old so I don't think the pressure and the hype is a big factor. But in a close game, I guess it could arguably work to Wisconsin's favor.

Edit: the better team typically wins football games, and right now, the Huskers certainly look like a better team. I don't want anybody to think I'm predicting a Badger win, just saying that there are some rays of hope for the Badger fans.

All I know is that if Nebraska loses and allows a 7 - 5 team to play in the venerated Rose Bowl, every football fan in the U.S.A. will hate us.

And they will have a point.

A must win game if we want the respect we often feel entitled to.

I don't take "intangibles" very seriously, but to the extent they matter, they tend to favor Wisconsin for this reason. NU has to win this game or it's embarrassing, heartbreaking, and just plain kick in the nuts humiliating. Wisconsin, on the other hand, can just go out, hang it all out there, have fun and if the ball bounces their way they just might get back to Camp Randall West in Pasadena (lol).

Again, these guys have been playing football every week since they were six years old so I don't think the pressure and the hype is a big factor. But in a close game, I guess it could arguably work to Wisconsin's favor.

Edit: the better team typically wins football games, and right now, the Huskers certainly look like a better team. I don't want anybody to think I'm predicting a Badger win, just saying that there are some rays of hope for the Badger fans.

I feared this when we played Penn St as well, and we seemed to react ok. Now this game is for what the guys have worked all year for. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm feeling an explosion, like this team might put that 4 quarters together.

But in a close game, I guess it could arguably work to Wisconsin's favor.

Tell me more about how Wisconsin has lost multiple games in overtime this season.

Edit: snipped the wrong part of the quote.

That's some careful snipping. I think I pointed out in another thread that Wisconsin's obvious failure to seal the deal in close games is an ill omen for their chances tomorrow.

But I stil can't help coming over here and suggesting the faint possibility that a loose Badger squad with nothing to lose, and healthy for the first time all year, might have a little emotional advantage.

I'm a typical underdog fan grasping at straws, admittedly. You guys will be doing the same thing in a few weeks when you're a 7 point dog in the Rose Bowl.

We'll need you guys to get beat on the DL for us to win. That's the bottom line. Stacking ten in the box has worked for every other decent team in the B1G (albeit barely) so it should work for you again tomorrow. And I'll be pulling for you guys in the Rose Bowl if that's the way it ends up.

Still think limiting turnovers is the biggest key--if Martinez can avoid giving the Badgers free gifts on pick-sixes or fumbles, ditto for Ameer and special teams, then it's more time for our offense to pound away at Wisconsin. We saw in the first matchup that even though Wisc has an aggressive knowledgeable defense, they're not terribly athletic or big and got pretty gassed in the second half.

I'd say a second factor is how aggressive Beck is with his offense--so far this year he's done a good job calling plays when we're in the hole, but the play calling with a lead has been uninspiring. Assuming we don't give Wisconsin gift turnovers (which is a big assumption) in the first half, we should be playing with a lead going into halftime. The question then is can Beck and the Husker offense successfully play with a lead, or will we call a lot of conservative plays and have to win on D?