2012 Pin The Tail On the Donkey Bowl Contest

knapplc

Looks like Sub has moved on to greener pastures, so I'm going to take a crack at running this thing. This isn't my idea and this isn't something I've competed in before, so bear with me if I bollox this up a bit my first try. The rules, from Sub's thread last year:

It’s time for the annual Pin the Tail on the Donkey Bowl Contest again!

Why Pin the Tail on the Donkey? Because it will look like most of your picks came as a result of you being spun around in a circle until dizzy, then wandered around until you came up with a random off-the-wall guess.

You predict the winner and the MoV (margin of victory) of all 35 bowl games. The closer you come to the actual MoV, the more Donkey Points you will earn.

Based on the difference of the MoV to your pick and the weight of the game, you are awarded a certain amount of Donkey Points (see below).

You can still earn points if you guess the wrong team, but are still close enough in the overall point difference. However you will be penalized two points in accuracy for a wrong pick. It is possible to score negative points if you pick the wrong team and the margin of your error is greater than 15.

Some games are worth more than others (see below). The amount of Donkey Points you will win is based on the accuracy of your picks multiplied by the weight factor of the game.

All Picks are due by kickoff of the first 2012 bowl game (1:00 PM EST), December 15th. If you are late with your picks, you get a zero for all games that you missed the opening kickoff.

Margin of Error (0 to 2) = 5 Donkey Points

Margin of Error (3 to 5) = 4 Donkey Points

Margin of Error (6 to 9) = 3 Donkey Points

Margin of Error (10 to 14) = 2 Donkey Points

Margin of Error (15 to 20) = 1 Donkey Points

Margin of Error (21 or more) = 0 Donkey Points

Of the 35 games; 19 are worth one point each, ten are worth two points each, the four BCS games are worth three points each, the national championship game is worth four points, and the Citrus Bowl is worth five points... for a total weighted value of 60. The maximum amount of Donkey Points you can earn is 300, if you get half that many you will likely win.

Example: Say you picked Michigan State to win the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl by three points, but TCU won by two points. Your pick was off by only five points, which would have earned you 4 accuracy points had you selected the correct team. Since you picked the wrong team, you lose 2 points and only get 2 accuracy points. But since the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl is double weighted, your 2 points are doubled for a total of 4 Donkey Points.

Single Point Games (19):

Gildan New Mexico Bowl : Arizona vs. Nevada

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl : Toledo vs. Utah State

New Orleans Bowl : East Carolina vs. UL Lafayette

Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl : Ball State vs. UCF

Poinsettia Bowl : BYU vs. San Diego State

Sheraton Hawaii Bowl : Fresno State vs. SMU

Independence Bowl : Ohio vs. ULM

Little Caesars Bowl : Central Michigan vs. W. Kentucky

Belk Bowl : Cincinnati vs. Duke

Military Bowl : Bowling Green vs. San Jose State

Armed Forces Bowl : Air Force vs. Rice

Pinstripe Bowl : Syracuse vs. West Virginia

Music City : NC State vs. Vanderbilt

Meineke Car Care Bowl : Minnesota vs. Texas Tech

Sun : Georgia Tech vs. USC

AutoZone Liberty : Iowa State vs. Tulsa

Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl : Arizona State vs. Navy

Compass : Ole Miss vs. Pittsburgh

GoDaddy.com : Arkansas State vs. Kent State

Two Point Games (10):

Las Vegas Bowl : Boise State vs. Washington

Holiday Bowl : Baylor vs. UCLA

Russell Athletic : Rutgers vs. Virginia Tech

Alamo : Oregon State vs. Texas

Buffalo Wild Wings : Michigan State vs. TCU

Chick-fil-A : Clemson vs. LSU

Heart of Dallas : Purdue vs. Oklahoma State

Outback : Michigan vs. South Carolina

Gator : Mississippi State vs. Northwestern

AT&T Cotton : Oklahoma vs. Texas A&M

Three Point Games (4):

Rose Bowl Game : Stanford vs. Wisconsin

Discover Orange : Florida State vs. Northern Illinois

Allstate Sugar : Florida vs. Louisville

Tostitos Fiesta : Kansas State vs. Oregon

Four Point Games (1):

BCS National Championship : Alabama vs. Notre Dame

Five Point Games (1):

Capital One : Georgia vs. Nebraska

• Fire 2

Knapp,

Thanks for doing this. And sorry for this already, but could you change the language to which games are worth? 1 point games are really weighted x1 of total, 2 pt games weighted x2 of total, etc.

This was one thing that really messed me up last year, as I understood the games under the lists were worth 1 point, 2 points, etc, instead of every game pick being worth 2 points and the games under the lists were actually weighted by x1, x2, etc. It's up to you. But maybe I'm just dumb and everyone else that reads it gets it.

Deadline for this is less than 48 hours away, and since nobody has submitted picks, I'm going to call this off. I'm going to be ultra-busy the next few weeks anyway, so I wouldn't do it justice.

Sorry for the false start on this thing. Maybe Sub will come back and host it sometime in the future for us. He did a good job of it last year.