Greatest Special Teams Player in NU History

TGHusker

Ole McBride, when you went empty against him, he would just line em up press bump and run all the way across, step 2 extra guys in gaps so there were more blitzers than blockers and just get after it. man I wish we could still play like that. You might give up a long play or two throughout a game, which Charlies defense usually did, but the psychological effects on the qb were priceless-getting pounded on play after play, and teams didnt pick us apart for 4-500 yards/night either.

I agree, but I think the game has changed too. Even if you get one free of blockers, these mobile QBs can buy enough time to torch man coverage or take off on their own.

It was great to watch!

That's what I meant by "I wish we could still play like this". Obviously that philosophy would never work in today's passing game made up of dinks and dunks. Offenses have become so much more sophisticated and adjustable at the line of scrimmage that it would just get torched. And yes, the running qbs would be able to buy that extra second needed.

It seems what has worked for us over the last 10 years has been Suh's bull rush and D Williams L David blitzing from the the corner. Kind of hard to send 7 guys at one time now. Power up the middle or speed off the corners - taking advantage of a weak link in the OL.