Els: East Stadium Elevates NU's Recruiting

Friday afternoon’s UNL press release announcing the University of Nebraska's Board of Regents' unanimous approval for a new Research Center for Brain, Biology and Behavior did not and should not have included a single reference to Nebraska football. But make no mistake. That simple statement reverberates as Nebraska’s newest and most unique influencer for football recruiting, at least in my lifetime.

Don’t just accept my opinion on the athletic benefits of what seems like a purely academic announcement. In our corner is Ross Els, Nebraska’s recruiting coordinator for football. Seven months before the curtain goes up on what will be called CB3, Els has grasped the impact it will have. The result of this historic breakthrough will be the first on-campus, shared academic/athletic research facility in the history of intercollegiate athletics.

We sat down with Els in his second-floor North Stadium office and asked him to help us paint the big picture of Nebraska’s 2013 football recruiting class, and he was more than willing to elaborate on why he thinks the entire East Stadium Expansion Project packs such a game-changing wallop in terms of recruiting.

Please feel free to join our conversation because it begins with an explanation of how that new center already applies to all 24 recruits who have given Nebraska their verbal commitments to sign letters of intent on Tuesday, Feb. 5.

Continue Reading

• Fire 2

Gained a lot of respect for Bo and the entire staff after reading that article. The coaching staff puts in so much time and effort into their jobs. It must be grueling trying to balance all of that out and still be happy with your life. Nebraska is at such a disadvantage as far as location in recruiting. The coaches really have to bust their butt to make up for it.

You know, back in the late, LATE 80's, and early 90's, Tom Osborne and Nebraska took steps and inplemented practices in player psychology and strenth/conditioning/nutrition that I believe was a huge part, if not the biggest part, or our incredible run from 1993-2001. These things were incredible innovative beyond any fan's actaul realization. The unity council began in 1991. Boyd Epley developed a state of the art stranght and conditioning program combined with nutrition. The combination of these two things being taken more seriously by Nebraska than any other program in the country put us over the top. Now, by the mid 2000s, I believe we were caught up to in these areas. Every team has leadership councils. Many teams have team psychologists. All teams focus a lot of attention to strength, conditioning, and nutrition, as well as employ specialty coaches for this exact thing. This east stadium project I deeply believe will be the next big advantage for Nebraska football, and maybe even Nebraska athletics as a whole over the next decade+. Like many things, the results may not be immediately visible, but I'm guessing we will start seeing incredibly drastic results in the next 5 years. In this time where concussions and brain injuries are a big concern, parents and students alike, like Els explains, will see that Nebraska is taking the first giant leap as a college program to tackle this huge issue. These next 10 years are going to be fun. This is why we're Nebraska. This is how we roll.

• Fire 2