UNL College of Business

Any undecided kids out there:

If you are semi-mechanical and you want to make some solid money quick....go to Milford. Get into there electronics, specifically troubleshooting PLC's program. You'll be make more money than the psych majors in a lot less time. We can't keep these kids (19-20) at all because so much money is being offered to them.

Not bad advice. Lots of jobs in manufacturing for this type of work.

A 'business degree' is not a trade. You can't have the same expectation as someone that went through Welding at SCC. edit...which Buster describes above. Business is not Lawyer, Doctor or accountant.

I guess this quote is probably a good summary of what my problem with the whole situation is. When something isn't "a trade", the profession isn't being guarded by anything. Anyone with common sense and some good street smarts could do it. And in my opinion, it's sad that employers have to use degrees as something to filter applicants by when those coming from UNL just played bingo and jeopardy while earning that degree.

And while it's certainly possible that someone could independently learn something technical like engineering, it would be a lot more challenging. I completely understand that nothing is going to change about this anytime soon, my point is just that it's currently a poor set-up.