New Coaches??

Redout

OWH reports Randy Jordan is named new RB coach

A small excerpt from the article on his back ground:

"Randy Jordan, 33, played running back and special teams for Callahan on Oakland's Super Bowl team, then joined the Raiders' staff at midseason in 2003 as a special-teams assistant.

'Randy always had a saying that the special teams guys were the worker bees, the grunts,' Raiders center Adam Treu said. 'He knew his role, and he knew he wasn't going to be the feature back. But he studied like crazy and made up for some of his lack of athletic ability by being more prepared than the next guy.'

Jordan played at North Carolina from 1989 to '92 and spent nine seasons in the NFL."

From what I read, I really like these selections. Jordan had a great work ethic as a player. He played a lot of special teams as he didn't quite have the athletic ability to be a "feature" back. This is the kind of guy you want who can hopefully keep these boys humble and teach them some things that will utilize their ability to the fullest. Busch the OLB coach has Neb. roots (very cool). He was a graduate assistant under T.O. (very cool). He knows what Nebraska football is all about!

I know all the coaching spots are filled, but I still don't trust any of these guys. I know Callahan will be here. I beleive him when he says we's in it for the long haul, but 50% of these coaches wil be gone in three years.

Good point, but that could also work in NU's favor. For example, if you have assistants who are wanting to be considered for head coaching postitions, they know that their best chance is to create a winner - that's their best chance to shine.

While I prefer the stability that long-term assistants bring, there can also be some upside.

True. Unfort we have to accept the fact that this is a sign of the times, and we simply wont ever have the continuity and "family-esque" atmosphere like we did in the Oz-Devaney eras, with the loyalty and "take one for the team" attitudes. If and when they get "that" offer, they will probably take it. Thats the drawback of this type of "win now" formula. But yes like AR said, to the victor goes the spoils, as coaching offers have a direct correlation to winning.

Agreed, thats what I meant. I should have put an "again" in the sentence "wont ever .. have the continuity.."

Like I said, thats the drawback of this type of "win now" formula.

It will be interesting to see what type of Husker "fans" attach & detach themselves to this new regime. Many purists will be turned off, but on the other hand you have to figure we will attract a new breed of fans as well. Here's to hoping the average Husker fan doesnt morph into the KSU/CU/PSU/Miami fan prototype.

This is truely a new era and unchartered territory for us true fans. It is definitely out in the open that Cos and Norvell have head coaching aspirations. Even our own Gill has made it clear that he is leaving his "options open". Hopefully, any future changes are slow and few. We have to HOPE that these guys are all committed to getting us back to greatness. There are a lot of factors that family men go through when making a career move that will affect their family. Most of these guys have young kids that probably would like stay around awhile, especially after they make friends. Busch seems like a guy who has gone to his football heaven and may be a good candidate for Def. coord. if Cos ever leaves. Gill will be learning the new offense and may get back to Off. coord if Norvell ever left. Blake and Elmassion are toss ups. However, I think we have some pretty good balance over all and although it maybe inevitable that we lose guys over time we could keep a good nucleus. Again, let's realize some things: 1. Pelini would have left for a head coaching opportunity, and who knows may have gone to OK anyway, 2. What if Frank had another tough year like 2002 (7-7)? I have said it before, we need to support these guys and show them that they are welcome. Other than that it is simply wait and see.

It's hard to say what is going to have in the future. I have yet to find a reliable

crytstal ball :). I wouldn't say it isn't possible that some of these coaches would

be gone in a couple years, but that's a sign that these guys are good and in demand.

That's what we want. It would be great if they turned out well and stayed for 10 years,

but we all have to accept that the days of coaching 25 years at one place might

be gone. Hardcore traditionalists frown upon this of course, but if that's the way they

are then that's the way they are. If you can't deal with it, talk to WyomingHusker. :)

ha! no crystal ball dave? whats wrong man. ive got a great one Im selling on ebay right. check it out. no I dont have a link. just go find it and buy it. its good. ;)

yes u guys r right. it is just a waiting game now. at least for us. call and co have a monumental task in front of em. and if call spins this all together and pulls of a successful season he is a freakin wizard.

im in the camp of not being thrilled with all the turmoil that took place, but i'll support my school thru thick and thin. thats what defines a tru fan. wyominghusker huh. now theres a guy that is in serious denial. wonder if he gets a new screen name when we win a champ in 2 years..