Emmert open to additional divisions......

Comish

I don't know what to think. Three years ago I would have said that having the major conferences in their own division would be asinine, but with the continuously shifting landscape it's making more and more sense. The FBS is getting more and more watered down each year as FCS teams continue moving up, and the major conferences are absorbing all the fringe teams that might have a shot in a power conference. Having just the five conferences, 60 teams or so, could also potentially make a playoff system a bit more feasible.

At the same time, I think a move like this would be pointless. Give them their own division, then what? The two would still play each other all the time, no power conference team is going to fill out their non conference with nothing but other power conference teams. If anything the new division would do nothing but make the lesser half of the FBS ineligible for the playoffs, and confuse millions with another acronym to remember.

I don't know what to think. Three years ago I would have said that having the major conferences in their own division would be asinine, but with the continuously shifting landscape it's making more and more sense. The FBS is getting more and more watered down each year as FCS teams continue moving up, and the major conferences are absorbing all the fringe teams that might have a shot in a power conference. Having just the five conferences, 60 teams or so, could also potentially make a playoff system a bit more feasible.

At the same time, I think a move like this would be pointless. Give them their own division, then what? The two would still play each other all the time, no power conference team is going to fill out their non conference with nothing but other power conference teams. If anything the new division would do nothing but make the lesser half of the FBS ineligible for the playoffs, and confuse millions with another acronym to remember.

Good Points. I'm just surprised they are even talking about it in the light of day.

How can $$$ confuse any one?

How can $$$ confuse any one?

Yes, it was foolish of me to look at this without money in mind. The NCAA is the NCAA, any change will be driven by money and not logic. When there is suddenly an FCS, FBS, and FPS and teams from each one play each other, knowing that the NCAA is making more money will keep me off the ledge.