So my understanding in a nutshell is the NCAA hammered PSU b/c of lack of reporting of the Sandusky abuses to the authorities (based on 3rd party Freeh report) and possible criminal actions (still awaiting trial) of the PSU administrators. Could the NCAA have set precedent in sanctioning member universities who do not appropriately handle criminal actions "for the sake of winning football games and making money"? We are seeing the Aaron Hernandez case to explode into illegal activities (involving firearms) while he was at UF. UF under Meyer had a long history of kids with legal trouble and most got a slap on the wrist. Even under Muschamp, a UF player gave his girlfriend a death threat and he was only suspended for a couple games. Does UF have a culture of not addressing illegal actions for the sake of winning football games??? A&M is having issues. Apparently, Manziel went from a season long suspension for his illegal activities to absolutely no suspension. Again the culture of football first that NCAA hammered PSU for. I am not a PSU fan but always respected them for doing things the right way (my judgment is still out on the PSU administrators until the evidence is presented at trial) and actually graduated their kids with legit degrees. I found it a little ironic the NCAA takes away scholarships at one of the few big time football schools (ND, Neb, Stanford) that graduates its players with real degrees.

The things that occurred at Penn State were much more heinous and abhorrent than the routine drunken violent hi-jinx of college football players. Also, it wasn't the Penn State football players. It was the staff. I think that's why the ncaa threw the book at the Natty Tiigers.

The things that occurred at Penn State were much more heinous and abhorrent than the routine drunken violent hi-jinx of college football players. Also, it wasn't the Penn State football players. It was the staff. I think that's why the ncaa threw the book at the Natty Tiigers.

OK so maybe not the severity of the PSU penalty but does 41 arrests at UF for various ILLEGAL activities with little or no consequence result in the "football first culture" that Emmert hammered on? Did UF have a history of lax rules and punishments in order to win football games? What if it comes out UF knew about Hernandez' behavioral issues including violent altercations and also owning firearms (see widely know pic of Hernandez holding glock while at UF) and they made sure it was squelched in order to keep his eligibility? Those are big "ifs" but doesn't the NCAA have the obligation to handle the cover up of illegal actions the same as it did with PSU?