Pros and Cons

Power-I

Of Bo Pelini. Look, people are in varying stages on the "oh sh#t, what do we do now?" meter. I've been off the Pelini bandwagon for a little longer than most people, but have been giving a lot of thought lately to why exactly he does, and doesn't make sense to continue as our coach. Here is what I've come up with.

Pros

1. Good guy. Protective of his players. I know three players over the last few years, and all of them say they are a huge family, and everyone supports everyone beyond a shadow of a doubt. (although the way he throws his players under the bus in post-game pressers really has me questioning this lately)

2. Cares about NU and our traditions. Sure, he has his own spin on them sometimes (blackshirts and captains, etc.) but he respects and preserves them.

3. When he has an other-worldly talented DT and 1st round draft picks in the defensive backfield, his defensive scheme is almost untouchable. We've all seen that in '09 and some of the time in '10.

4. No scandals. With Pelini as our guy, I'm supremely confident that we will never have cheating scandals, diddling scandals or academic scandals on his watch.

Cons

1. The severe beatings we have come to expect on a regular basis. This is numero uno for me. I don't care about losses where we are competitive (I mean I care, but I understand you don't win them all). With the program and talent we have, it is absolutely inexcusable to not be competitive in ANY games we play against top competition. Off the top of my head, the last time we were even remotely competitive against a top team was Missouri in 2010. Michigan State in 2011 was a nice win too, but definitely didn't have the cache and national attention that the 2010 Missouri game did. Not being competitive is unacceptable. The only thing Pelini is consistent at is the fact that we are going to suffer at least one, and many times multiple blow outs on national TV on a yearly basis. These games are so important for us, because kids in Texas and Florida have no freaking clue about Nebraska anymore, or any of our traditions. All they know is, they get a letter from Nebraska to come here, and turn on the TV and see us getting blown out by 30 points while announcers are making fun us and ESPN writers mock us.

2. Lack of killer instinct. I don't know what it is, but when we get up big, there is no sense of urgency to keep the foot on the gas pedal. This has always been a problem, and ironically enough, was a problem in that 2010 Missouri game as well. We got up 24-0 in that game IN THE FIRST QUARTER and let them hang around eventually settling for a 31-17 win. Talent is too even these days across the board in college football to get conservative when you get up a few points against someone, especially against top teams. Why we continue to have this problem is a mystery. Tim Beck couldn't even answer it himself in the press conference last night.

3. Lack of discipline and self control. The lack of discipline shows itself in the penalty problems over the last few years. How many times have we been flagged in crucial moments just because a guy wanted to get a last shot in. I don't care how talented you are, if you can't control yourself in pressure situations, that is always going to rear its ugly head at the most inopportune times.

4. Inability or lack of care in adjusting your defensive scheme to the offense you are playing and players you have on the field. Again, Bo knows his defense works with the right pieces. We all know his defense works with the right pieces. The problem is, he always thinks he has the right pieces, when he hasn't had them since 2010. So what does any sane coach do when he doesn't have the right pieces? He changes his scheme to get the most out of the pieces he has. This just befuddles me to the max. I know it is an ego thing, but shouldn't that go out the window when you have to explain how your scheme is still amazing as you are doing post game pressers after losing by 20 and 30 point a couple times a year?

5. A crew full of yes men. Pelini seems more interested in surrounding himself with yes-men who will not challenge him than hiring the best person for the job. Now some guys have worked out brilliantly (Fisher and Joseph off the top of my head), but the majority of guys who have positions that underperform seem to have a lifetime contract under Pelini. Again, just like with his defensive scheme, unwilling to make necessary changes and adjust to a changing landscape.

All of these cons I listed are even somewhat forgiveable, if you don't take into account this is YEAR 6!!! Is this what we want for the next decade? How many top programs over the last few years have been somewhat down programs, only to make the right hire at head coach and become outstanding teams again almost over night??? Bama was a sh#t show in the late '90s and early '00's before Saban came along. Texas A&M was garbage before they hired Kevin Sumlin. Notre Dame was sliding for years before Brian Kelly comes in and takes them to a national title in his first few years. Michigan was down in the dumps, and then Brady Hoke comes in and they are recruiting like animals and are on top of everyone's list to become dominant going forward.

Yes, we have a special problem some of these schools don't have, in being in a mostly talent-less state where we have to go out and work hard nationally for recruits. That is going to be a whole lot easier when we aren't losing by 30 and 40 points on national TV 3 times a season.

At the end of the day, its time to get some fresh ideas in here at the head coaching spot. Six years is enough of an audition at a historic program like we have to see if your ideas work. They didn't.

The only thing Pelini is consistent at is the fact that we are going to suffer at least one, and many times multiple blow outs on national TV on a yearly basis.

if you don't take into account this is YEAR 6!!! Is this what we want for the next decade? How many top programs over the last few years have been somewhat down programs, only to make the right hire at head coach and become outstanding teams again almost over night??? Bama was a sh#t show in the late '90s and early '00's before Saban came along. Texas A&M was garbage before they hired Kevin Sumlin. Notre Dame was sliding for years before Brian Kelly comes in and takes them to a national title in his first few years. Michigan was down in the dumps, and then Brady Hoke comes in and they are recruiting like animals and are on top of everyone's list to become dominant going forward.

A few "exaggerations" here of what's happened. The blowouts are not an annual thing......they are some games from the past two seasons. Year 6 might be a bigger deal if even one of those years was a losing season....along the lines of Callahan.....but not a single one has been. YEAR 6!!! at least 9 wins per. Of course we want to take it to the next level in the next decade, but Pelini has only been here a full half decade. Notre Dame had a national title appearance......and got BLOWN OUT on national tv. Michigan is just happy that Akron doesn't rhyme with Appalachian State this week.