Question For Veterinarians If Any Is On This Board???

We had to put down our dog yesterday who always protected me. We had her for over 13 years. It was a hard decision to make, she was suffering a lot. Now our other 2 little dogs aren't eating the dog food. One dog did eat a bone, we even bought them wet food and they won't touch it. Does anyone know if this is common for them to not eat after a dog has died that they have been with for years and what can we do to make them eat if they keep it up not eating? I am afraid they will die too if they don't eat. They were close to the dog that died and I don't know what we can do.

Not a vet, but I've dealt with multiple dog households for years and years. And yes, it's not uncommon for dogs to show outward reaction to the death of a dog that was a long time part of their pack. One of the symptoms can be refusing to eat, among a lot of other things.

My first suggestion is to go get them checked for any physical problems by a vet. Although it would be extremely coincidental for them to have a physical problem, it's always important to make sure they don't. Once you rule that out, then you can start working on the other stuff. And at least that way you know you've ruled that part out.

In general, dogs live more in the moment than people. Usually they'll adjust and move on fine. Try different foods or treats and see if they take to those. Even if you don't ever give them people food scraps, try that (obviously make sure it's food that is not going to harm them) and see if that helps. Give them lots of attention, familiar toys, and so on. Try to make sure they're getting good exercise each day. Things like that.

Edit - And one option is getting another dog, too. Assuming the'yre compatible, dogs usually react very well to the addition of another. You're in a good position in that you had three dogs, so the two left have each other still, but that doesn't mean adding another dog back in wouldn't help. It probably would. But obviously that's only if you want a third dog again - it's certainly not necessary, as your remaining dogs should be fine without a third.

We adopted a lab when she was 5. 3 years later a family member had a litter of pups (border collie blue healer mix) and we took one. When the adopted dog died 7 years later our border collie went through some type of depression so we got another lab, a pup this time. All is well. The border collie is 11 and my Sammie is 7. So yes, I believe they do suffer the loss and sorry for yours. I hope all is well.

Our dog that died was named Sammie too...the 2 little dogs ate a little last night. We are keeping a good eye on them and will take them to our vet, if necessary. We give them a lot of attention. We will see how it goes with them before deciding whether or not to get another dog. 2 dogs are really enough. If we do decide to get another dog, we will get one from the pound and save it. The 2 little dogs are part dachshund and something else. They are named Husker and Haley. Thank you both for answering my question, I really appreciate it:)