Help Making a Portable FM Transmitter

Okay a few of you posted on my status update about this but I found some stuff online and wanted to pick your brains a little more without it getting lost int he shuffle.

Basically, what I want to do is make a portable transmitter that plugs into my iPod, and broadcasts over a vacant FM station nearby that people can tune into. I've had a hard time finding stuff online, but I did find this:

mf_ddp2_f.jpg

1 TRANSMITTER

A Ramsey FM35 transmitter with a radio-frequency output power of 1 watt—duct-taped to a cutting board to avoid accidental button mashes. Wired through that is a Tru-Match 100 broadcast antenna encased in PVC pipe, with a max input of 25 watts.

2MIXER

The transmitter is tethered to a 1980s Realistic Stereo Disco Mixer with two VU meters regulating signal output and a 12-volt battery pack, held together with a rubber band. The mixer/battery duo constitutes the bulk of the backpack’s 50-pound load.

3JUKEBOX

Load an MP3 player with tunes—DDP staple “I Beg Your Pardon” by Kon Kan, for instance—and plug it directly into the mixer’s tape input. A Sennheiser wireless mic transmitter plugs into a separate input, allowing organizers to make announcements through partygoers’ boom boxes (which are all set to the same vacant radio frequency).

4CONTROLS

Everyone who sees DDP founder Gary Lachance wearing a Nintendo Power Glove wants to know how it works. “The way the Power Glove controls the iPod,” Lachance says, “is by touching it.” Technological wizardry, maybe not; style points, yes.

Now, admittedly, this is a little bit more ambitious and grand than what I'm looking for, but it achieves the effect I'm looking for. Can anyone make good sense out of this (I know very little about electronics in general), and maybe dream up a more cost-effective way of achieving the same thing?

I miss that guy that used to hang out at some of the Phoenix area Fireworks shows quoting the Bible and shouting through his megaphone about how we're all going to hell.

I'm serious..It was an interesting study in people's reactions, and I kept wishing I could talk to the guy when he wasn't so busy.