Revisiting the Targeting Penalty - three plays, same contact, different result

knapplc

Every single unnecessary roughness penalty for a hit on player should be reviewed and overturnable. That's the only way this can be fixed, aside from stop calling them which does not seem likely. Due to the speed of the game there is just no way to call these accurately in real time, we've seen it time and time again and even "just" a 15-yard penalty is very costly.

From there use some version of the NBA's flagrant 1 or flagrant 2 system, two flagrant 1s or one flagrant 2 an get you ejected. Tackling a ball carrier should never get you a flagrant 2, nor should blocking a player who's just not paying good enough attention.

Defenseless WRs going for passes or where a ball flys by them and the DB takes a cheap shot could be candidates for flagrant 2s, along with things like nutpinching or other misbehavior in pileups. Hitting a defenseless QB in an illegal manner (e.g. in the head or lower legs or spearing them) would be other candidates. Extremely blatant and viscous late hits could be another.

On the SJB hit, on a simple swing pass out of the backfield, that should never be called after the guy makes a football move. Arguably you can say he speared but is is far from blatant and appeared more of a perfect shoulder lead form tackle. Worst cast was a flagrant 1 and 15-yard penalty, but that's one I think should have been overturned and an ejection is completely unconscionable in that situation and detracts from the game.

The referee, Bill Lemonnier

Found the problem. Major dickbag. I rank him with the likes of Jim Joyce (MLB umpire) and Joey Crawford (NBA ref) as far as the worst officials in sports. I don't blame him for the loss on Saturday, I've simply noticed a pattern of particularly poor officiating in NU games in which he has officiated. It's his crew, not just him, but I see more questionable calls from his crew than any other.

Found the problem. Major dickbag. I rank him with the likes of Jim Joyce (MLB umpire) and Joey Crawford (NBA ref) as far as the worst officials in sports. I don't blame him for the loss on Saturday, I've simply noticed a pattern of particularly poor officiating in NU games in which he has officiated. It's his crew, not just him, but I see more questionable calls from his crew than any other.

Honestly they're the only crew I notice when we have them, and and it's not for the right reasons.

Yep, I don't blame them for the loses but there have been a lot of questionable calls with them. Like the late hit by Afalava on the QB out of bounds then three weeks later they pick up the same flag on Martinez. Then the ejection on SJB then two weeks later they miss two easy ejection calls with Lemonnier staring right at Martinez getting hit. Then they call the celebration on Kenny after his one handed catch and didn't explain any thing, and no obvious holding calls from the Illinois game. I really just want to see consistency. I can sorta understand if we have different crews but its the same crew being horribly inconsistent.

Honestly they're the only crew I notice when we have them, and and it's not for the right reasons.

Exactly. If I know your name as an official, it's not good.