Revisiting the Targeting Penalty - three plays, same contact, different result

knapplc

Great work Knapplc, I would also like to see some discussion on the pass interference calls that were never called on Minnesota during the game, Quincy's first quarter should have been a td catch, the db was hugging him from the minute he crossed the goal line till the ball sailed over his head. Westercamp, was contacted before the ball got there on several occasions, and there were others as well. Could not believe what they were allowed to get away with. Also did Minny ever have a holding call called on them. 54 running plays and not a single hold... right.....

The real problem with this rule is that it requires the ref to establish intent which is not really possible. How do you know if a player is really targeting another player unles he says "how did you like my crown of the helmet" afterwards. Then it goes in to say if it is in question, it is a penalty. So, intent can't really be known, thus always in question and always a penalty

I thought I understood this rule until this past weekend. I thought the call on SJB was bad but you could have made an argument either way if he should get ejected or not. But I really don't understand how the two hits on Martinez weren't called. In the picture the ref is literally staring at the play, that is absolutely terrible.

I don't know how they picked the flag up on when Martinez was hit out of bounds. Definitely seems like something they would call if they are trying to make football more safe. These rules are without question ruining football.

I like the rule. You as a football player are not taught to hit that high in the first place in this sport. If you don't agree, then you haven't ever had to teach how to tackle with a High School Athletics Association looking over your shoulder for it.

You are never taught to hit any higher than the chest anyway. Bend your freaking knees and explode out up through the guy starting as low as the hips but no higher than the breast plate.

I can't fathom why people have such a beef with this rule when proper tackling isn't taught in a manner that warrants an ejection anyway.

However, I don't like the inconsistency of the rule. The play needs to be reviewed after the game, rather than in game. Then suspend them for 2 qtrs of the next game. That way you can spend longer than 30 seconds reviewing it and you can get the call right. Just my thoughts.

I like the rule. You as a football player are not taught to hit that high in the first place in this sport. If you don't agree, then you haven't ever had to teach how to tackle with a High School Athletics Association looking over your shoulder for it.

You are never taught to hit any higher than the chest anyway. Bend your freaking knees and explode out up through the guy starting as low as the hips but no higher than the breast plate.

I can't fathom why people have such a beef with this rule when proper tackling isn't taught in a manner that warrants an ejection anyway.

However, I don't like the inconsistency of the rule. The play needs to be reviewed after the game, rather than in game. Then suspend them for 2 qtrs of the next game. That way you can spend longer than 30 seconds reviewing it and you can get the call right. Just my thoughts.

Making football safer is very important however if a player gets ejected and has to sit out because of it I think it's just not fair. I know people will just say that if you make a clean tackle in the first place you won't get ejected but personally when I played (granted only HS football) the only thing going through my mind as a DB going for a open field tackle is stopping the other guy no matter what. The rule about getting ejected is making players slow down and try to think about what they are doing and in turn can get them hurt by not going full speed.

I like your idea about reviewing it after the game, games are getting too long anyways. They should have a group of "experts" to determine all the possible ejections from the weekend, I think the NFL has something like this.

We got majorly homered by that f'ing crew. They missed on two clear hits to TM's dome and some obvious holding. Plus we didn't touch the ball near the goalline, that play for a Minn loss should've stood. Not excusing our performance but the refs may well have changed the outcome of that game.

I, for one, do not like the after the game review idea. I know this happens to an extent already if the illegal hit happens in the 2nd half. But why should the next team an opponent plays benefit from hits made against our guys. If our guys are the ones put at risk as a result of the hit, our team should benefit from that player being ejected, not our opponent's next opponent. Also, if someone is intentionally hitting with intent to hurt during a game against us, we want that person to not be playing rather than subjecting our team to risk additional injury risk to our team, by leaving the culprit in the game. If ejection/ suspension is to be the penalty, it needs to happen immediately after the hit.

I don't necessarily agree with this part. Sure, if you have a very knowledgeable coach, your taught these things, but the problem is, there is a majority of kids who are not taught the proper form, or technique, to tackle. This starts from little league, all the way to high school. I remember hearing a few defensive coordinators talking about this a while back about concussions and how to prevent them. They stated that they have to reteach kids when they come in on their forms, and how to properly tackle. When in pressure, or in the moment, you go back to old ways. There are kids in D1 who still don't get the concept of not hitting high on players. This happens every game, and is actually one of Nebraska's flaws. We seem to hit a guy high, rather than low. Poor technique, and its coming from our younger guys.

This is no excuse for having players hitting high, or helmet to helmet, but not all, or even most kids are taught properly how to tackle before they are in the collegiate level. This is why parents aren't allowing their kids to play football as a kid much more, because you have Tim's father, a guy with no experience coaching a team and teaching kids his way, not the right way.

While I agree that it's vital for the safety of players on both sides of the ball that proper form tackling is taught, and leading with your helmet should be penalized, I don't necessarily think it warrants an ejection. If it's fully intentional, or it's a recurring issue with a particular player (see: every hit Brandon Meriweather has ever made), THEN maybe we can talk ejection, but not for one occurrence of it. Things happen so fast, for both the players and the officials, that I don't think there should be a distinction between garden variety unnecessary roughness and targeting.