Why did you want to steer him toward a projector in the first place? It's a little confusing since you said you wanted to do so, but know nothing about them. I'm just trying to figure out what brought projectors to mind.

Wasn't exactly trying to steer him that way just thought it would be cool to have one. So not knowing much I asked you guys for help. I always thought they were cool but didn't know how good of quality they are.

I've had both.

I'll take my 70" Sharp LED TV any day. Hands down no comparison, and I had a pretty sweet HD projector with a 90" throw.

Projectors are cool, no doubt, but having to be in total darkness for the best picture gets annoying after a while. Plus the contrast is SO much better on the TV.

• 11 months later...

Just saw this and thought if anyone has any curiosity of getting a projector, I can provide a little input. I bought one on Amazon in early 2012. It's a Viewsonic 720p. I spent about 3 months go through reviews and finally felt strongly about the one I picked out. I wanted a Large screen for sports and movies for my lounge room. And I didn't want to spend too much money. At the time the big LCD TVs were 47 and just a few were hitting 60. I got a deal on the projector for around $320. I figured that was the same as getting a 32 LCD (at the time) so I went for it. Also got free shipping. Prior to pulling the trigger I was looking at painting a wall with projector paint and pricing screens. I was picky about the screen until I found one that I loved because you basically roll the screen out and connect it to it's black felt boarders (easily) and uses hooks to hand on the wall. I tested it out with a couple of small thin nails (it was that light) and it was perfect. Looked like an 82" wide screen TV, big, but not too big. I took the room dimensions and viewing angles into consideration and learned the best size would be 82. So I bought the screen online onsale for $160. But....to pull the trigger so easily on that was a situation where a coworker did not and could not work on a scheduled Saturday shift. He offered me $100 right there in cash to work for him. Done deal. So I applied that to the screen, and the final cost for a new entertainment projector and screen was under $400. I also thought the worst case was that it would be good enough for the price, while also knowing no 1080HD, some possible lighting issues despite reviewers saying there wasn't any, and bulb replacement. Well guess what? It was fantastic! I love it. It's 720, it's pretty darn sharp, and looks professional and beautiful on the wall.

Well it's approaching 3 years since then and here are the only two issues. The bulb light indicator went on after a year and a half, and I had to replace it (bulb & housing). $220 bucks for it, but found a non mfg brand replacement for $80. That was a bit of relief. However it still was a little steep and it bothered that it did not last at least 3 years. So that is something to consider, because one day out of the blue you get a very quick & sudden warning that you need a new one. The other issue, which is mostly because it wasn't a high end projector, is that it is a little noisy, takes a few seconds to warm up when you turn it on, and also puts out a lot of heat. You don't necessary feel the heat blowing out like a hair dryer, but it doesn't take long before the rooms starts warming up. It's not bad during the winter, but very uncomfortable during long hot summers and warm weeks during spring and fall. You start using more AC and fans to compensate the warm room. Oh and the speakers were lousy but I hooked up to stereo speakers which nipped that in the bud.

Overall, if you can find one on craigslist or ebay for 100 or less, you really will enjoy it. Sports, Movies, Video Games, CNN, History Chanel, Discovery, ESPN, Concert DVDs, etc looks really really good. I had no light issues regardless if I had window light or lamps on. And now days LCDs are 70+ in size which for 10 - 20x the price there is no comparison in quality. One of my friends ended up buying a projector for his game room for $3000, 1080HD, and the size of room allows for 110 (mine gets that big too). He had techs come out and install everything, so he spent a ton. And when we compare, his is better, but only slightly better. So if anyone is thinking or considering, it really is pretty cool to have especially if you don't spend too much for it. Oh, and a few times I went camping with some friends and I brought it along for my buddies kids. Connected a small DVD player to it for them to watch a movie when the sun was going down while we grilled and drank lol. Just used a sheet to project on one time, and used the side window of my canopy another. Was pretty cool.