Was wanting some help with some projection TV's. Reason I ask is that my parents are building a new house and pops finally gets his man cave. We got to talking and he wants to put a large TV (70 inch) in it. I'm trying to talk him into doing a projection TV but really know nothing about them. I'm hoping that if I can find him a good setup and it's reasonably close in price to a regular TV that he will do this instead.

Any information that you guys can provide me will be helpful.

I'm assuming that you're meaning to say you want to get a projector.

Projection TVs are old technology that you get for $50 on Craigslist.

But talking projectors, you can get a really nice quality product for under $1,000. Absolutely make sure it's full HD 1080p, and check user reviews, but the biggest decision to make is going to be your screen. Typically people will buy one for the least amount of work, and you'll spend about $100-250 on that depending on size and if you want it to pull down or be fixed to the wall. You can also build your own, of course, but another option is projector paint. There are all different kinds and qualities of paint you can put on your wall to work as a screen (there is even 3D polarized paint).

If I was looking for something in the 60-70 inch range, I'd still be looking at actual televisions. Sure, you can get cheap projectors at low prices, but their picture sucks and will almost certainly be inferior to a good LCD or plasma TV. I just see no reason to go with a projector in that size range unless you want to buy a really nice one, and even then, I'd still put that money towards an upper level TV, not a projector.

If I was looking for something in the 60-70 inch range, I'd still be looking at actual televisions. Sure, you can get cheap projectors at low prices, but their picture sucks and will almost certainly be inferior to a good LCD or plasma TV. I just see no reason to go with a projector in that size range unless you want to buy a really nice one, and even then, I'd still put that money towards an upper level TV, not a projector.

Can you get a decent-to-good brand 70" tv for under $1,000?

ROFL

:facepalm:

You can find good online reviews for sh**ty products all over the place. The technical quality of the image those sub $1000 projectors throw up is just not good unless you want to be slumming it. And hey, if that's all the money you want to spend on a projector and then you can live in ignorant bliss. But they do not produce good image quality. Believe whatever you want, it's pretty f'ing funny.

Stupid posts get condescending responses. Deal.

The fact of the matter is, if you buy entry level projectors, you get entry level picture. Sub $1000 projectors are entry level. I would not buy a projector unless I was willing to spend $2500-$3500, and even then I'd be careful in my choices. There is still a wide variation in quality at that level.

And for that money, you're going to get similar, if not better, results from a properly chosen and priced LCD TV in the 60-70" range. One that doesn't have nearly as many limitations as a projector does.