Fox News: Santa is white

Junior

This is irrelevant. The discussion isn't about St. Nicholas, it's about Santa Claus.

Okay, that's fine, but where, when, and how do you pull out one "Santa Claus" exclusively from the history of hundreds of interwoven and simltaneous legends and myths? At the earliest you could say the early 1800's but even then you're ignoring influence from a lot of different places and it's not like other ethnicities haven't had Santa depicted in their race for decades.

This is irrelevant. The discussion isn't about St. Nicholas, it's about Santa Claus.

Okay, that's fine, but where, when, and how do you pull out one "Santa Claus" exclusively from the history of hundreds of interwoven and simltaneous legends and myths? At the earliest you could say the early 1800's but even then you're ignoring influence from a lot of different places and it's not like other ethnicities haven't had Santa depicted in their race for decades.

Once again, it's time for you to just stop

http://www.nikkeiview.com/blog/2012/12/why-are-there-no-asian-santa-clauses/

But Duran noted that some other people he’d interviewed for his story (obviously people smarter than me) pointed out that maybe in Asian cultures, Santa is still thought of as white because, well, Saint Nicholas was a first-century saint born in Greece who served as a bishop in Turkey. Like Jesus (you won’t see many Asian likenesses of Jesus either), perhaps Asians simply think of Santa as a white guy because that’s what he’s supposed to be.

http://www.nikkeivie...-santa-clauses/

But Duran noted that some other people he’d interviewed for his story (obviously people smarter than me) pointed out that maybe in Asian cultures, Santa is still thought of as white because, well, Saint Nicholas was a first-century saint born in Greece who served as a bishop in Turkey. Like Jesus (you won’t see many Asian likenesses of Jesus either), perhaps Asians simply think of Santa as a white guy because that’s what he’s supposed to be.

Greek or Turkish, eh?

greek_man.jpg

Turkish-Man-548269.jpg

And yet, somehow we get to here:

santa-blank.jpg

How about we let each person choose what they want their entirely fictional people to look like? My santa is purple. @$#$ off, Fox News.

• Fire 1

Also, from your own link:

UPDATE Dec. 21: This was fun! I heard from a number of readers via Facebook and Twitter that Asian Santas do indeed exist. One person said he’s seen them in Japan. A few said there are Asian Santas in Los Angeles’ Little Tokyo, and in the Japanese community in Chicago. I just haven’t seen them in Colorado, or when I was a kid in Japan in the olden days, or in northern Virginia when my family first moved to the States. Thanks to everyone who responded, and Happy Holidays! Or maybe… Happy End of the Mayan Calendar!

UPDATE DEC. 25: Here’s an interesting post from Tofugu, a blog about Japanese language that suggests that Santa’s origins may be Japanese, not European – “Is Santa Claus Japanese?.”

:dunno

It is more than a little disturbing how strongly some people are clinging to this notion that Santa is and must be white.

Ohh, I am by no ways clinging. I couldn't care less. I'm just saying that the historical depictions of Santa are as a white man and people who point this sentiment out should not be branded as a racist by this observation.

Ohh, I am by no ways clinging. I couldn't care less. I'm just saying that the historical depictions of Santa are as a white man and people who point this sentiment out should not be branded as a racist by this observation.

Which historical depictions are you referring to? "The" sounds rather definitive.

Also, from your own link:

UPDATE Dec. 21: This was fun! I heard from a number of readers via Facebook and Twitter that Asian Santas do indeed exist. One person said he’s seen them in Japan. A few said there are Asian Santas in Los Angeles’ Little Tokyo, and in the Japanese community in Chicago. I just haven’t seen them in Colorado, or when I was a kid in Japan in the olden days, or in northern Virginia when my family first moved to the States. Thanks to everyone who responded, and Happy Holidays! Or maybe… Happy End of the Mayan Calendar!

UPDATE DEC. 25: Here’s an interesting post from Tofugu, a blog about Japanese language that suggests that Santa’s origins may be Japanese, not European – “Is Santa Claus Japanese?.”

:dunno

As per usual, your responses are grounded in focusing on a VERY select minority who "justify" your sentiments as being the cannon law. A "number of readers via Facebook and Twitter" personal accounts do not supersede the universally widespread historic depiction of the legend.

Which historical depictions are you referring to? "The" sounds rather definitive.

It is. Universal historical depictions.

Ah. All of them. Gotcha.

As per usual, your responses are grounded in focusing on a VERY select minority who "justify" your sentiments as being the cannon law. A "number of readers via Facebook and Twitter" personal accounts do not supersede the universally widespread historic depiction of the legend.

I guess I don't see why the historically oppressive majority gets the right to decide what is inherently true about something that doesn't actually exist, especially when the white identity of Santa Claus started as a minor conglomeration of dozens of other major traditions and myths.

adjective

of, affecting, or done by all people or things in the world or in a particular group; applicable to all cases.

I don't think that word works for your statement but then again I don't know how you are defining the word 'historical' either.

• Fire 2

It is more than a little disturbing how strongly some people are clinging to this notion that Santa is and must be white.

Your posts in this thread would indicate otherwise.