Fox News: Santa is white

Junior

I don't know if you guys have kept up with this but Kelly commented on it and tried painting herself as a victim. Claiming that she was making the comments in jest with tongue-in-cheek, and being racebaited.

i did see that. she seemed pretty serious when she made the initial comments. and i am unsure how she was race-baited? i think the problem people have is more with the historical aspect of her claims, rather than any racial insinuations that may have been perceived.

basically, it is just silly to be so concerned over the race of a fictional character.

I don't know if you guys have kept up with this but Kelly commented on it and tried painting herself as a victim. Claiming that she was making the comments in jest with tongue-in-cheek, and being racebaited.

i did see that. she seemed pretty serious when she made the initial comments. and i am unsure how she was race-baited? i think the problem people have is more with the historical aspect of her claims, rather than any racial insinuations that may have been perceived.

basically, it is just silly to be so concerned over the race of 2 fictional characters.

fixed that for you for accuracy. as far as Santa being white that has more validity than even jesus existing.

In the historical context, Santa IS white the same way that Clifford the Big Red Dog is red. Claiming that he is white is merely citing historical portrayals of the character and is not racist.

Historically Santa has been portrayed as just about every ethnicity.

This is incorrect unless you are using the term "historically" in an all-encompassing manner ("yesterday is in the past and I saw a black Santa!") which actually, really wouldn't surprise me.

In the historical context, Santa IS white the same way that Clifford the Big Red Dog is red. Claiming that he is white is merely citing historical portrayals of the character and is not racist.

Pretty much agree.

But, you have to understand that it is all a part of the grand scheme of white supremacy over black people. White people must be viewed as the ones who give things to black people.

This is incorrect unless you are using the term "historically" in an all-encompassing manner ("yesterday is in the past and I saw a black Santa!") which actually, really wouldn't surprise me.

Both, really.

The actual man was Greek and from what is modern-day Turkey, and the legends around him, at least for the next several centuries, at best didn't change his ethnicity to be white, and at worse were mixed and varying. Any depictions relatively similar to what we have today didn't really exist, as far as I know, until late in the middle ages. And culturally, a lot of blacks and asians have black and asian Santa Claus depictions.

This is what he looked like in the 13th century:

432px-Nikola_from_1294.jpg

357px-St_Nicholas_Icon_Sinai_13th_century.jpg

Both, really.

(snip)

This is irrelevant. The discussion isn't about St. Nicholas, it's about Santa Claus.

Meh. The first-millennium Christian Saint, Nicholas, cannot truly be said to be the forerunner of Santa Claus. At best it's an echo of an echo of an echo of the person, if he even existed at all. Even the Catholic Church says "...the details that are known of his life are few in the extreme."

The legend of "Saint Nikolas," including the gift-giving and patron of sailors, are largely borrowed from non-Christian gods, including Poseidon and Befana.

Santa Claus as he's known today is no more related to the first-millennium Nicholas than I am.

I really think the point of the thread, as I started it, was less a question about what color the fictional character of Santa Claus actually is.... and more of a "Why do a certain segment of people get so freaked out the possibility that some people might envision this fictional character of Santa as black?"

• Fire 3

I really think the point of the thread, as I started it, was less a question about what color the fictional character of Santa Claus actually is.... and more of a "Why do a certain segment of people get so freaked out the possibility that some people might envision this fictional character of Santa as black?"

Thread title:

Fox News: Santa is white

Guess I was duped...