Why college football is better off without the BCS

Ok....I gotta comment on this because this argument the anti playoff crowd makes just makes my head explode.

You can still have your bowls!!!!!!!!!!

If Iowa state and Vanderbilt still want to go to the Blue Bonnet Butter Me Up bowl. .....guess what....they still can.

A playoff changes nothing with the bowls.

We can still have bowls....just two of the main ones that have meaning are semi-finals now and have no finality. "If you like your bowls, you can keep them...."

Ok....I gotta comment on this because this argument the anti playoff crowd makes just makes my head explode.

You can still have your bowls!!!!!!!!!!

If Iowa state and Vanderbilt still want to go to the Blue Bonnet Butter Me Up bowl. .....guess what....they still can.

A playoff changes nothing with the bowls.

The bowls are not the bowls if you have a playoff. Sure the minor bowls don't mean a lot to anyone other than the players, students, and alumn (and real, hardcore college football fans), but they are still part of a system of bowls that has existed for nearly a hundred years. It still does have some meaning for the players (and fans) to say "we went to a bowl game". With a multi-team playoff the bowls will be like the NIT in college basketball. If you think nobody cares about the minor bowls now...just wait until they are nothing more than something that exists outside of the main attraction; the playoff.

For those of us old enough to remember the days before ESPeNis f*cked up the college football post season by nearly monopolizing all of the bowls, and making New Year's Day pretty meaningless (rather than the way it was in the old days when ALL the major bowls were on New Years Day), it is pretty sad that, in the name of profit, ESPeNis is going to screw it up even more.

Again, it is not the same now as it was in the past, but some of the tradition can still be saved. What it looks like is that the whole thing is being scrapped with absulutley no evidence that the new way of doing things is going to be an improvement. I mean seriously, what would a playoff had accomplished this season? Given Alabama another shot at a national championship? I can't see how that would have been an improvement.

The bowls are not the bowls if you have a playoff. Sure the minor bowls don't mean a lot to anyone other than the players, students, and alumn (and real, hardcore college football fans), but they are still part of a system of bowls that has existed for nearly a hundred years. It still does have some meaning for the players (and fans) to say "we went to a bowl game". With a multi-team playoff the bowls will be like the NIT in college basketball. If you think nobody cares about the minor bowls now...just wait until they are nothing more than something that exists outside of the main attraction; the playoff.

And this is different from what it has been .... how exactly?

And this is different from what it has been .... how exactly?

Well, I guess if you don't understand that might explain why you disagree with me.

I predict that the blowback will end in about a year when the playoff has been massively successful and the remaining bowls in fact haven't been relegated to some mythical college football left-for-dead wasteland

Assuming there is any (which will be minimal to non-existent, imo).

I'm quite sure there won't be any blowback allowed on espn because it will be their investment. What will happen is a general malaise will creep in over the regular season. Instead of admitting that they rendered it irrelevant, big wigs will yak about how kids would rather be on tablets than in the stands, or the games taking too long, or we need a new Jumbotron. The football season will lose importance like college bball, and the powers won't want to hear that they engineered it themselves.

I predict that the blowback will end in about a year when the playoff has been massively successful and the remaining bowls in fact haven't been relegated to some mythical college football left-for-dead wasteland

Assuming there is any (which will be minimal to non-existent, imo).

I'm quite sure there won't be any blowback allowed on espn because it will be their investment. What will happen is a general malaise will creep in over the regular season. Instead of admitting that they rendered it irrelevant, big wigs will yak about how kids would rather be on tablets than in the stands, or the games taking too long, or we need a new Jumbotron. The football season will lose importance like college bball, and the powers won't want to hear that they engineered it themselves.

The NFL lets almost half their teams into the playoffs. And they play more regular season games than college football. And the regular season is HUGE. Again, this is not college basketball. The regular season is not going to be diminished in any way. I'm not sure why that's a talking point really

The NFL lets almost half their teams into the playoffs. And they play more regular season games than college football. And the regular season is HUGE. Again, this is not college basketball. The regular season is not going to be diminished in any way. I'm not sure why that's a talking point really

Just because those who oppose a playoff need a talking point. Doesn't have to have any basis in reality.

Same applies to those who say "We don't need a playoff. The regular season is a playoff." If that's true, how can a team go undefeated and not even get to play for the championship?

• Fire 1

Just because those who oppose a playoff need a talking point. Doesn't have to have any basis in reality.

Same applies to those who say "We don't need a playoff. The regular season is a playoff." If that's true, how can a team go undefeated and not even get to play for the championship?

Because they're UCF from the Sun Big American East. Is that a real question?

I think the same can be said for those who say we do need a playoff. College football was fine for over 100 years without a playoff. Just because there are those who have some sort of weird psychological need for imaginary resolution doesn't mean a truly successful sport should face the kinds of draconian changes that will come with a multi-team playoff format.

Because they're UCF from the Sun Big American East. Is that a real question?

Yes, it's a real question. Good try but UCF wasn't undefeated.

There have been several non-BCS schools go undefeated and didn't get to play for the title. Not that I think they deserved it but if a team with a loss gets in over an undefeated team, it's not a playoff - it's a judgement.

But Auburn did go undefeated in 2004 and didn't get to play for the title either.

• Fire 1

I think the same can be said for those who say we do need a playoff. College football was fine for over 100 years without a playoff. Just because there are those who have some sort of weird psychological need for imaginary resolution doesn't mean a truly successful sport should face the kinds of draconian changes that will come with a multi-team playoff format.

"Fine" is subjective.

Funny how you consider deciding the champion on the field as "imaginary" as compared to the semi-arbitrary process we have now.