Mike Zimmer

GSG5545, on 15 January 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

So the Vikings hired the Bengals DC and the Skins hired the Bengals OC. Does Cincy disappear next year?

Interesting to hear Chris Mortensen talk about Mike Zimmers biggest regret was not getting the Nebraska job in '03. I don't remember hearing his name as a candidate back then. Can anyone elaborate on this info. My the road not taken!

GSG5545, on 15 January 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

So the Vikings hired the Bengals DC and the Skins hired the Bengals OC. Does Cincy disappear next year?

Interesting to hear Chris Mortensen talk about Mike Zimmers biggest regret was not getting the Nebraska job in '03. I don't remember hearing his name as a candidate back then. Can anyone elaborate on this info. My the road not taken!

i replied to this in the nfl discussion thread but thought I could get more answers putting a thread in here.

Bill Callahan will talk to Nebraska about the job Dallas defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer turned down Tuesday.

Coach Bill Parcells said Tuesday that Zimmer told Nebraska officials he was remaining in the pros rather than continue to pursue the head coaching vacancy created when Frank Solich was fired after a 9-3 season. Zimmer was in Lincoln, Neb., on Monday for an interview.

Zimmer, who led the Cowboys to a No. 1 defensive ranking this season, will sign a three-year, $3 million contract to remain in Dallas, ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports. The $1.5 million-per-year deal he rejected from the Cornhuskers was for six seasons.

Zimmer had been scheduled to make $500,000 the next two seasons under a deal he signed with Dallas last year.

His initial reaction early Tuesday, after sleeping on the Nebraska offer, was to accept the job. But when he reported for work at the Cowboys' headquarters a few hours later, owner Jerry Jones and coach Bill Parcells convinced him to stay and presented him with the proposal for the new contract. "We found him to be a terrific coach and a man of great integrity," Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson said in a statement Tuesday. "He was very upfront at the time regarding the fact that his first obligation is to the needs and happiness of his family."

ESPN: Jones, Parcells convince Zimmer to stay (1/7/2004)

• Fire 1