Sipple Q&A with Pelini

SNIP:

Q: Some folks wonder if, as the boss, you're too hesitant to change the way you're doing things, perhaps even a bit stubborn. Your reaction to such a perception?

A: We make changes all the time. Things always are getting reworked. We look at every aspect of what we do. That's an asinine perception. There are a lot of different facets to what we do, in every facet of the game. For instance, defensively, we change all the time. We're different now than we were two years ago, in some ways. You're always adjusting and looking for ways to make things better.

--hey thanks for calling us all stupid again!

Not all of us. ;)

By the way, a good journalist would have asked Bo to elaborate on that point.

We do change things frequently. We had a new punt return scheme this year, for instance.

By the way, a good journalist would have asked Bo to elaborate on that point.

My theory is that Sipple asked and Pelini told him not to publish his response.

Mine is that Bo had censor power over what questions would be asked/published. And he had them ahead of time.

We're are not all that far away from self given press conferences a la Kiffin.

I do think the defensive scheme, or approach, or the way we called it, whatever you want to say, I think that did change this year. It's kind of been an unexplained phenomena in my book how that halftime ( whatever game it was) the players told the coaches to do more of what the players wanted to do. It seemed to be the turning point. We became aggressive as hell. Blitzing increased or at least appeared to to me. Regardless, they changed something, and it worked. I know there will be an argument that maybe the guys just finally started "getting it". Yea, maybe a little, but there was more than that. Some will say this was Bo's defense all along, but I've seen enough bend don't break garbage to know that's not the case. We went after em more. We turned the front four loose more. Whatever change it was, I liked it, so I credit the staff for that. Or the players?

Nebraska is supposed to win Conference championships.

Ummm... not sure what your trying to say here. We don't win a CCG, the whole season was ruined and we took a step backwards?

Yes the season was a failure (not just my definition, but the coaches and players always say this too). And no, sadly it isn't a step backward anymore, we haven't won one in 15 years.

I guess this is where I am separated from you and others that think that way, but I WANT to win a CCG every year, but realistically, its not going to happen. Like I said in another thread, if we go 11-1 (before bowl game) and don't win our division, then I chalk it up as a successful season. I would be disappointed in not winning our division, but as long as we are taking a step forward, instead of backwards, I am happy. I guess I don't know what type of fan that makes me. I am not content with not winning CCG's, but we are closer now than we were before Bo got here.

It was the Northwestern where we went away from the three down lineman look early in the second quarter after they scored again (third TD, iirc). But I'm not not sure we really changed all that much. That was a look we'd used before and used since, we were just using it a lot more early in that game. And we started out this year blitzing more - we blitzed or brought some extra pressure on at about half the plays in the first half against Wyoming - it just got lost in how that game ended. We might have blitzed slightly more later in the season but it's also easier to try things when things are going better - generally speaking.

I do think the defensive scheme, or approach, or the way we called it, whatever you want to say, I think that did change this year. It's kind of been an unexplained phenomena in my book how that halftime ( whatever game it was) the players told the coaches to do more of what the players wanted to do. It seemed to be the turning point. We became aggressive as hell. Blitzing increased or at least appeared to to me. Regardless, they changed something, and it worked. I know there will be an argument that maybe the guys just finally started "getting it". Yea, maybe a little, but there was more than that. Some will say this was Bo's defense all along, but I've seen enough bend don't break garbage to know that's not the case. We went after em more. We turned the front four loose more. Whatever change it was, I liked it, so I credit the staff for that. Or the players?

I think the defense was the biggest change we have had in Bo's tenure, outside of coaching changes. We went to a 2 Gap, something some board members harped that we wouldn't do and bashed every mentioning of it. A scheme that I think worked out very well for us and went better than I had originally thought by end of season. We now have the talent to let these guys loose, rather than playing containment. When your that much smaller than the OL, its hard to bring pressure. Defensively, we are looking bright. Offensively, just unsure.

Nebraska is supposed to win Conference championships.

Ummm... not sure what your trying to say here. We don't win a CCG, the whole season was ruined and we took a step backwards?

Yes the season was a failure (not just my definition, but the coaches and players always say this too). And no, sadly it isn't a step backward anymore, we haven't won one in 15 years.

I guess this is where I am separated from you and others that think that way, but I WANT to win a CCG every year, but realistically, its not going to happen. Like I said in another thread, if we go 11-1 (before bowl game) and don't win our division, then I chalk it up as a successful season. I would be disappointed in not winning our division, but as long as we are taking a step forward, instead of backwards, I am happy. I guess I don't know what type of fan that makes me. I am not content with not winning CCG's, but we are closer now than we were before Bo got here.

There is no way on planet Earth that Nebraska goes 11-1 and misses the CCG next year.

And actually we are exactly as close as winning a conference championship as we were with the previous coach. Callahan got Nebraska there as well. His team lost too.

There is no way on planet Earth that Nebraska goes 11-1 and misses the CCG next year.

And actually we are exactly as close as winning a conference championship as we were with the previous coach. Callahan got Nebraska there as well. His team lost too.

Ummm... Callahan got us there one year out of his tenure. At least Bo has gotten us there 50% of the time.

No way we got 11-1 and miss the CCG huh? Here let me break down one possibility...

We win every game, except Wisconsin.

Wisconsin goes undefeated in conference play, or lose one game to whoever.

Wisconsin gets the tie breaker over us.

Wisconsin goes to CCG.

Nebraska doesn't with being an 11-1 team.

Its possible and could VERY well happen. So lets not say there is no way on planet Earth that it couldn't happen.

• Fire 2

It was the Northwestern where we went away from the three down lineman look early in the second quarter after they scored again (third TD, iirc). But I'm not not sure we really changed all that much. That was a look we'd used before and used since, we were just using it a lot more early in that game. And we started out this year blitzing more - we blitzed or brought some extra pressure on at about half the plays in the first half against Wyoming - it just got lost in how that game ended. We might have blitzed slightly more later in the season but it's also easier to try things when things are going better - generally speaking.

I don't know what exactly changed either, but as far as the eye test we just looked like we were getting after it more. We just looked like the old Blackshirts a bit. Guys flying around and getting to the ball. The Michigan game comes to mind if any of you ever get a chance to look back at that one. We were just phenomenal on defense I thought. There were bright spots against Michigan state til' that Cook found his rythym towards the end. I think field position influenced that score quite a bit so one wouldn't think we played well on defense, but actually it was special teams and offense that sucked.

I don't know, there were other games too, we just looked different I thought.

I don't know what exactly changed either, but as far as the eye test we just looked like we were getting after it more. We just looked like the old Blackshirts a bit. Guys flying around and getting to the ball. The Michigan game comes to mind if any of you ever get a chance to look back at that one. We were just phenomenal on defense I thought. There were bright spots against Michigan state til' that Cook found his rythym towards the end. I think field position influenced that score quite a bit so one wouldn't think we played well on defense, but actually it was special teams and offense that sucked.

I don't know, there were other games too, we just looked different I thought.

Confidence and swag :)