Welcome to Coach Watson!!!

OWH on Watson

this kinda impressed me...

"Gary's words for me last night were, 'You want to wake up every morning at a place where football is important, where winning is important, and where they walk the walk,'" said Watson, who was among the assistants not retained when Dan Hawkins took over as Colorado head coach. "And Nebraska is the place."

so gary saw nebraska that way?

who knew?

If you put this into perspective. Cal wanted this guy as OC.

I wouldnt blow that out of proportion. Tedford calls all the plays, so the OC title at Cal would have been in name only.

And you have proof to backup this statement correct? Or is this just an opinion?

Sorry to tell you but you are wrong. Ask Any Cal fan who calls the shots on offense

If you put this into perspective. Cal wanted this guy as OC.

I wouldnt blow that out of proportion. Tedford calls all the plays, so the OC title at Cal would have been in name only.

And you have proof to backup this statement correct? Or is this just an opinion?

I heard it from Propaganda....errrrr........Pinnacle Sports' own Husker suck-up Jim "Legend in his own eyes" Rose.

Sorry to tell you but you are wrong

Right. You certainly try to do that quite abit, but to no avail.

Ask Any Cal fan who calls the shots on offense

Do YOU have any proof besides a few anonymous Cal fans????

Keep in mind guys that this is the guy that called the plays in 2001 that destroyed us in Boulder

He is also the coach whos O ranked 87th in total O, and 78th in scoring O in 2005. And lets not forgot about how well his team played in the 2 games prior to the bowl.

And he couldnt use the "Only 2 years, give it more time" excuse. :wacko:

To have an offensive cordinator of a top tier D-1 football program drop that to become a TE's coach tell you something

:yeah The current NU staff has a couple of other failed head coaches/coordinators on hand like Blake and Elmo.

The current NU staff has a couple of other failed head coaches/coordinators on hand like Blake and Elmo.

Former man.. you must LOVE drama with a statement like that. I mean, both of those guys have done a terriffic job for us.

:wtf

(waits for the backlash)

Former man.. you must LOVE drama with a statement like that.  I mean, both of those guys have done a terriffic job for us.

:wtf

(waits for the backlash)

I dunno about that <_< Marvin Sanders did a terriffic job with basically the same secondary that got lit up under Elmo his first year. McBride did a terriffic job. Darlington (especially late in his career) did a terriffic job.

Apparently, your idea of terrific and mine are different.

[quote name=###### :dumdum ]Jim Rose. The guy that said "Cory Ross Dropped the Chalupa" on the air during the Kansas game? Haha

So the guy is a bad play-by-play guy, with a huge ego (no wonder why pud likes him). It doesnt mean that he doesnt know a few things about the game.

BTW, besides a few "Cal fans :wacko: " where is your PROOF, you know, the PROOF that you are so fond of demanding.

As you have proven on numerous occasions, most nameless fans really dont know much about the game.

[quote name=###### :dumdum ]Weak response as always.

Yes, yours normally are very VERY weak.

I copied this from another site of which I'm NOT a member. It is free public access. From rojo:

You learn about yourself when you see how others see you. Sometimes you like it. Sometimes it hurts.

Gary Barnett has been in the business a long time. His thoughts on football jobs and football schools are of interest.

From Shawn Watson:

“[barnett’s] words for me were, ‘You want to wake up every morning at a place were football is important, where winning is important, and where they walk the walk…. Nebraska is the place.’”

From Barnett:

“[Watson is] getting somewhere that he’s fully appreciated…. Where people understand the value of college football. He’s needing that right now, because we weren’t in that type of environment at CU. There’s just a lot you can get as a football coach at Nebraska that you can’t get at CU.”

Attendance is only a part of it, but it reflects the whole. Shawn Watson probably didn’t dwell on too long these numbers in choosing his job. But at least he would have sensed them and knew the message they carried…

2005 Average Attendance: (Tickets sold as reported to the NCAA)

--Nebraska: 77,485 (soon to be 83,000+)

--California: 60,377

--Colorado: 50,409

--San Diego State: 36,223

Traveling attendance to a bowl? Newspapers reported ~25,000 Nebraska fans at the Alamo Bowl. Cal and Colorado also went to bowls.... (?)

This job’s going to be a lot different for Shawn Watson.

Just some things to think about….

OWH

The obvious things all came to mind as Shawn Watson accepted Nebraska's offer to be a Husker football assistant coach and headed to Lincoln this week.

Watson was a Big 12 Conference offensive coordinator content with taking a lesser position. He was a recruiter who knew Texas, one of Nebraska's target areas. He helped orchestrate three Colorado wins over the Huskers between 2001 and 2004, including the game plan that bludgeoned NU 62-36.

There's one more thing, former CU quarterback Mike Moschetti said, that might show what a coup Nebraska really pulled off.

"I've been telling people for the last five years that he's head coaching material," Moschetti said. "You guys have got a head coach who's coaching tight ends. He's got it all."

Watson, 46, was the front-runner for the Utah head coaching job after the 2002 season until Urban Meyer took his stab at it. Former Colorado coach Gary Barnett said Watson turned down a Mid-American Conference position two years ago, one he wouldn't name but is believed to be Akron. He pursued the Miami of Ohio job a year ago, and was mentioned at Illinois before the Illini search turned toward Ron Zook.

How close is Watson to being an NCAA Division I-A head coach? Barnett said: "One interview away."

"He doesn't chase very many," Barnett said. "He was not a guy who was always looking to go somewhere else. He doesn't need that."

But while Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said the Huskers "look forward to having Shawn with us for a long time," Watson admitted this week he wants to be a head coach again someday.

"I've done it once, and I'd like to do it again," said Watson, head coach at Division I-AA Southern Illinois from 1994 to 1996. "I want to learn more, that's the attraction here, learning the next part of this offense."

Watson's arrival presents an interesting situation on the Nebraska staff. Jay Norvell is the Huskers' offensive coordinator, but both Callahan and Watson are former offensive coordinators, and offensive line coach Dennis Wagner is a former assistant head coach at Fresno State and a former Division II head coach at Wayne State.

"I can just imagine being in those offensive meetings," Moschetti said.

Watson was Colorado's quarterbacks coach for Moschetti's senior year in 1999. In 2000, Moschetti was a student assistant when Watson became offensive coordinator under Barnett, a position he held until the Colorado staff was dismantled last month.

Moschetti called Watson an offensive "genius," as good as there is at the X's and O's. And while former CU head coach Rick Neuheisel was a yeller and in-your-face coach - what Moschetti called contrary to public perception of Neuheisel - Watson was patient, calm and dedicated to detail and explanation.

"If there was an 'I' that wasn't dotted on a game plan, he'd tear up the copy, throw it away and make new ones," said Moschetti, now an assistant at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, Calif.

Moschetti and Barnett say Watson fits the profile of a head coach - from knowledge to looks to personality to honesty to family values. At CU, Watson had full autonomy with the offense but always made sure others were part of the process.

"He doesn't have an ego," said Barnett, echoing a comment Callahan made during Friday's press conference introducing Watson. "So everything you saw out there came out of a staff meeting, out of a collection of thoughts. Then he made the calls."

That included that 2001 mugging of a then-unbeaten Nebraska team. Watson pushed all the right buttons as the Buffs piled up 582 yards and 62 points while needing to throw the ball just 16 times.

"Lucky day," Watson said, recalling the wipeout. "Nothing went wrong."

Watson helped build that team and others at Colorado by recruiting all over the country. His most recent forte was the Houston and Fort Worth areas, but Barnett said Watson "is so well-respected in our business that he can walk into just about anywhere and be known."

Back in the 1980s, Callahan took Watson under his wing. They shared an office. Callahan was on the way to becoming Watson's mentor, as Watson put it, making it so he always wondered about working with Callahan again.

That opportunity popped up, no strings or promises attached. The conversation never turned to what might happen should Norvell leave NU, Watson said, or what might be ahead the longer Watson stays with the Huskers.

"That would be totally unfair," Watson said. "That would be totally wrong of me (to ask), and that's not why I'm here."

Watson already knows Callahan and has spent a day with Norvell. He's confident that all involved are like-minded, including receivers coach Ted Gilmore, whom Watson worked with at Colorado.

If there are questions of how it all works out, Callahan said they should take care of themselves because of the way Watson will carry himself.

"He'll complement us very well in what we're trying to get accomplished," Callahan said. "There's no better person for this position to help our staff.

"No doubt, Jay Norvell is the offensive coordinator here, and Shawn comes in as an assistant coach to augment, to assist and to contribute to our staff. It'll just be good for all of us to bounce ideas off one another."

BTW, besides a few "Cal fans  " where is your PROOF, you know, the PROOF that you are so fond of demanding.

HAHAHA..so now fans of a team aren't proof enough to know what is going on inside their own team. :clap

You make me laugh dude considering i provided "proof" and you have YET to provide any proof that the CAL's Offensive coordinator job is by name only and doesn't really have any duties because Tedford calls the shots supposedly. Go ahead, if my proof is SO FLAWED, prove me wrong instead of trying to avoid the answer.

P.S: Nevermind, i dont want anything to do with you or your response because it's only going to derail the thread. Asking you to provide some proof other then a he said/she said propaganda is like asking George Bush to provide proof that Iraq had WMD's.

HAHAHA..so now fans of a team aren't proof enough to know what is going on inside their own team.

As you have proven on numerous occasions, that it correct. Just because one is a "fan" it doesnt make them knowledgable on all aspects of the program.

Like I pointed out earlier, norvelle is the OC at NU yet doesnt call the plays, and Cotton was OC under FS (1 year) but it was pretty obvious that Barneyball wasnt being played in Lincoln.