Phone providers?

I've been thinking about caving in and getting one of those stupid smart phones...

Any recommendations on a good service provider in your area? Seems like I only need to call people When I'm on vacation and "back home" always seems to be my favourite vacation spot...most plan's coverage maps I've looked at don't seem to like Nebraska much..At least rural areas

Verizon is a piece of sh#t company and I'm loathe to say this, but...Verizon is the only way to go in Nebraska.

Unfortunate but true. Coverage, and service, even if you never leave Omaha, is substandard on the other options. And if you leave Omaha, good luck with anyone else. AT&T is probably second, and I have never met anyone with Sprint who was happy with them.

I finally disconnected the old fashion land line at my house. I got a cheapo TracFone provider ........less than $7.00 per month. My wild guess, TracFone coverage map was pretty good. I tested the side road trip from Norman to Sioux Falls with TracFone gadget. No problem at all, all connected. Smart phone.......never used it. I didn't fully understand "Smart" phone.

- old crusty here

The Virgin I got over 13 years ago while my Son was in-utero (pay as you go) seemed to only work in Lincoln and Omaha and along I-80...But last couple of times I tried using it, I got a recording saying I was out of minutes...Strange, I had it set up for Automatic bill pay and hadn't tried making a call for a couple of years..(I hates phones)! But I would like to be able to get on line while out..