SCOTUS: Public Sector Emloyees / Union Fees

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SUPREME_COURT_UNION_FEES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-06-30-10-08-45

I think this is an important free speech /association ruling. The ruling says that public sector unions cannot force employees to pay union fees. This is a blow to unions and the dem party candidates to which public sector unions support with contributions from membership dues.

Quote:

In a 5-4 split along ideological lines, the justices said the practice violates the First Amendment rights of nonmembers who disagree with the positions that unions take.

The ruling is a setback for labor unions that have bolstered their ranks - and bank accounts - in Illinois and other states by signing up hundreds of thousands of in-home care workers. It could lead to an exodus of members who will have little incentive to pay dues if nonmembers don't have to share the burden of union costs.

With just under half the country already enacting right-to-work laws, this really only affects about half the country. It's a good law - you should not be compelled to join a union simply because the people who worked at X Employer before you decided a union was a good idea. In general, unions are a good thing. But workers should have the choice to join or not to join.

Of course, this does nothing to curtail the creation of unions, and that also is a good thing. I would be surprised if union memberships don't start to increase in coming years as wages stagnate for rank-and-file workers. You can't compel me to join a union, and that's a good thing. But I can choose to join a union, and that's also a good thing.

Like government, unions need to be watched and held in check. Unions run amok didn't work out to well for the auto industry, for an off-the-top-of-my-head example.

Of course, this does nothing to curtail the creation of unions, and that also is a good thing. I would be surprised if union memberships don't start to increase in coming years as wages stagnate for rank-and-file workers. You can't compel me to join a union, and that's a good thing. But I can choose to join a union, and that's also a good thing.

I think that it's more likely that unions virtually cease to exist rather as opposed to membership increases.

Depends on how happy workers are. Unions were formed to combat unsafe working conditions, unfair wages, and the like. For the most part workplaces are safe today (with obvious caveats), but the wages issue isn't going away, and as long as corporations continue to clamp down on wage growth in favor of profits, I think we'll see that union membership decline start to level out, and if things get bad enough (and we're counting on corporate generosity for that to change), unions will come in vogue.

Depends on how happy workers are. Unions were formed to combat unsafe working conditions, unfair wages, and the like. For the most part workplaces are safe today (with obvious caveats), but the wages issue isn't going away, and as long as corporations continue to clamp down on wage growth in favor of profits, I think we'll see that union membership decline start to level out, and if things get bad enough (and we're counting on corporate generosity for that to change), unions will come in vogue.

They were formed with that idea . . . but a large percentage of the same folks who would benefit from unionization have completely accepted the free market/capitalism/big business is good for everyone pitch.

If you're in the market for a quick (and depressing) read: http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Matter-Kansas-Conservatives-America/dp/080507774X

Overall, I'm pretty anti-union, but my best shot at an objective analysis would be:

1. They've become victims of their own success. Workers' wages and conditions have improved to the point where their need is no longer urgently felt.

2. They're political lightning rods (kind of the Republicans' answer to 'Wall Street greed') and that's dangerous spot to be in, when one political party is gunning for you and many of your core supporters don't feel the need for your continued existence (point 1).

I tend to believe unions are their own worst enemy as well. There seems to be a critical mass that unions get to, where they go from being an advocate for their members to, with enough power, a leech sucking the host dry. The problem with unions is the problem with corporations - they're easily ruined by unchecked greed.

I tend to believe unions are their own worst enemy as well. There seems to be a critical mass that unions get to, where they go from being an advocate for their members to, with enough power, a leech sucking the host dry. The problem with unions is the problem with corporations - they're easily ruined by unchecked greed.

Agreed. I think that it's good to have a balance of power between business and labor. Either, if unchecked, lead to problems.

Agreed. I think that it's good to have a balance of power between business and labor. Either, if unchecked, lead to problems.

agree.

I've never been a part of a union, but I felt the negative affects as unions can become as greedy as the corporation who are often given that label (rightfully so). My dad worked for a company in an industry that was heavily unionized. He was a labor union member and fan and voted Dem (note my 1st ever vote was for George McGovern for his US Senate re-election) until the union got too greedy. The union went on strike. The company said they could not afford the unrealistic new union demands because of competition, (the company dad worked for paid top rages in the industry and top benefits & one of the highest average salary in the city) . When the union would not relent, the company brought in 'scabs' and the union got busted basically. Dad went back to work and for less money and less benefits. He hasn't voted dem since nor supported the union movement. He retired in 1994.