You went to college where? And how did you like it?

I went to UNL and really enjoyed the "big college" experience, especially when it comes to athletics and being part of a big alumni base. For those that went to "smaller colleges", what were your reasons for attending a smaller college?

Went to UNL and UNO for criminal justice and decided to change my major. Wanted to do something in health care, but not to be a doctor. Most big schools do not offer anything in allied health care: surgical technology, radiologic technology, respiratory therapist, etc. They have nursing and med school, but not much else. So I went to Nebraska Methodist College to study radiologic technology. Its just one building designed specifically for nursing and the allied health professions. Expensive as crap, but they only accept a few students each year, so its nice low class sizes and they had enough clinical sites (hospitals, small clinics, etc.) that Id be the only student there to learn.

By the time I enrolled, I was already 23, so I didn't really care about the extracurricular activities that college provides. I was there to get my degree and get started with my career. Good school if you are looking to get into health care. Will probably go back there to get certified in MRI, CT or health care administration.

My daughter is currently enrolled at the RAD Tech program at St. Luke's in Sioux City. You just described her program to the letter. She has 1 year left. I hope she can find a job.

My daughter is currently enrolled at the RAD Tech program at St. Luke's in Sioux City. You just described her program to the letter. She has 1 year left. I hope she can find a job.

She'll find a job . . . particularly if she is a little flexible on location.

Correct. Midwest area is pretty saturated. Too many schools, not enough hospitals. The west coast I know is open season. Arizona, California, etc. it seems always has lots of job openings for rad techs, mri, ct, mammo, etc. I don't know about the east coast, probably the same way.

The whole state of Nebraska only has two FT jobs posted that I can find. Both are Alegent Creighton health locations, which means they hire from within their own system from the casual employees they have. Here its pretty hard to find a FT job right off the bat, you usually start as a PRN/Casual tech and work your way up to FT. Only four out of 23 people in my class are FT techs. The rest are either still unemployed or in casual positions. I don't know how it is in Sioux City, but I assume its the same way. Took me about 5 months to find a PRN job, 8 months working as a PRN and in one month I will move into a FT position. Very long process.

Some advice I can give her is work your ass off in clinical and give her resume to every clinical site she goes to. About a month before she takes her boards, start calling/e-mailing her old/current clinical sites and see if they have any openings. She will find one eventually, but if she wants to stay in this area it may take a while. If she doesn't mind moving, like carlfense said, she will prob find one sooner.

She'll find a job . . . particularly if she is a little flexible on location.

Correct. Midwest area is pretty saturated. Too many schools, not enough hospitals. The west coast I know is open season. Arizona, California, etc. it seems always has lots of job openings for rad techs, mri, ct, mammo, etc. I don't know about the east coast, probably the same way.

The whole state of Nebraska only has two FT jobs posted that I can find. Both are Alegent Creighton health locations, which means they hire from within their own system from the casual employees they have. Here its pretty hard to find a FT job right off the bat, you usually start as a PRN/Casual tech and work your way up to FT. Only four out of 23 people in my class are FT techs. The rest are either still unemployed or in casual positions. I don't know how it is in Sioux City, but I assume its the same way. Took me about 5 months to find a PRN job, 8 months working as a PRN and in one month I will move into a FT position. Very long process.

Some advice I can give her is work your ass off in clinical and give her resume to every clinical site she goes to. About a month before she takes her boards, start calling/e-mailing her old/current clinical sites and see if they have any openings. She will find one eventually, but if she wants to stay in this area it may take a while. If she doesn't mind moving, like carlfense said, she will prob find one sooner.

I am not sure she will leave the boyfriend. She will be looking most likely in Nebraska and Iowa.

I went to UNL and really enjoyed the "big college" experience, especially when it comes to athletics and being part of a big alumni base. For those that went to "smaller colleges", what were your reasons for attending a smaller college?

Went to UNL and UNO for criminal justice and decided to change my major. Wanted to do something in health care, but not to be a doctor. Most big schools do not offer anything in allied health care: surgical technology, radiologic technology, respiratory therapist, etc. They have nursing and med school, but not much else. So I went to Nebraska Methodist College to study radiologic technology. Its just one building designed specifically for nursing and the allied health professions. Expensive as crap, but they only accept a few students each year, so its nice low class sizes and they had enough clinical sites (hospitals, small clinics, etc.) that Id be the only student there to learn.

By the time I enrolled, I was already 23, so I didn't really care about the extracurricular activities that college provides. I was there to get my degree and get started with my career. Good school if you are looking to get into health care. Will probably go back there to get certified in MRI, CT or health care administration.

They're constantly posting rad tech positions here in Cleveland... FYI.